Is tesol really a way of gaining employment in thailand ?

muffinzman

Patcharanan is correct. Do be misled if you think it will be easy without a Bachelor's Degree. You will be limited in where you might find work and your ability to change jobs will be severely curtailed.

Lots of negativity in this thread. Sure, there are some bad teachers here but there are a lot of good ones as well. Age has little to do with it, I've met fantastic teachers of all ages and incompetent slobs of all ages also. Are the majority of English teachers in Thailand qualified to teach in their own country? No, but the good ones work hard, do the best they can, and learn on the job. Let's face it, if we really expect every English teacher in Thailand to have a Master's degree in Education and a teaching credential from their home country there will be a massive shortage of teachers here, as very few people with those qualifications are willing to work for the offered salary.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, yes, you can easily find a job teaching here. You didn't mention whether you have a degree or not. You would still be able to find a job without one, but it may affect your salary, the quality of the position, and the ease with which you get a non B visa and work permit. Whether or not you end up enjoying the job or not is another question entirely, that really depends on the individual. A lot of the doom and gloom stuff posted above is hyperbole to be sure. Teaching is definitely not easy, though. Big class sizes, communication problems with staff and students alike, and little to no help with discipline are pretty normal. It is tiring, chaotic, and at times frustrating. It can also be very rewarding. It's definitely never boring.

I agree fully. I'm not fully qualified back home, but I absolutely love teaching here. The foreigners are here for our voices, not grammar. We do as much good in the hallways as we do with our lessons. There are many "unqualified" English teachers here doing good work.

• Like 1

I would again warn the OP if he is thinking about waltzing into a job - teaching in Thailand is fraught with complicated issues. All this for B30k a month less expenses related to the job itself. If you do not need to teach or are not stuck in __________ while they wife is off working all day and you are bored I would urge you not to bother with it.

Visas

Waivers

Work Permits

Credential

Thai Culture Course

TEFL diploma (US1600)

Age issues

Vagaries of the job: School in your pay packet, deductions taken but not paid forward, forced overtime on weekends, free lessons to staff, addl duties unpaid...

Ok, let me ask another question about teaching, assuming I don't want to go through all the formal channels (applications, certifications, etc etc).

Would free-lance teaching, i.e. one-on-one to private individuals, be considered "working" as defined by immigration?

Like I said originally, part-time activity appeals most to me because I really don't want to get back into the working world schedules once I retire for good but I certainly don't want to run afoul of immigration and risk consequences. Just looking to the future and what possibilities there may be.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Ok, let me ask another question about teaching, assuming I don't want to go through all the formal channels (applications, certifications, etc etc).

Would free-lance teaching, i.e. one-on-one to private individuals, be considered "working" as defined by immigration?

Like I said originally, part-time activity appeals most to me because I really don't want to get back into the working world schedules once I retire for good but I certainly don't want to run afoul of immigration and risk consequences. Just looking to the future and what possibilities there may be.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Most teachers have a few 'privates'. A work permit and appropriate visa is needed by foreigners for any type of work, including private instruction and voluntary, in Thailand. However, the chances of being caught and punished - if you keep a low profile - are so small they are practically non existent.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1