How to invest 7 million BHT ?

Renting out boats is working, not investing.

Well sorry for dissapointing you but most investments will require work and attention.

True, buying/starting and running a business is also an investment but I think me and most other people who have replied here did not think that's what "your friend" was looking at doing and you haven't said anything about that until now!?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

summary: forget about it except if buying bonds denominated in Indian Rupees or Brazilian Reais, hold them offshore and get the interest automatically exchanged into hard currency (either USD or EUR).

Would you happen to know one or two of these banks/brokers you could open an offshore account with?

I would be grateful to know.

Thanks

you don't need an "offshore" account to invest in foreign currency bonds. any account in a proper bank (except a bank in Thailand or a British Credit Union) will suffice.

As far as I know Thai banks will charge you 7% tax at source on dividends coming from gov and corporate bonds and UK banks will charge you 20% tax on dividends. Offshore banks won't charge you anything.

Or maybe I missed something....if so do you happen to have a link to a tax free non offshore bank or broker?

Cheers

-"tax free offshore banks/brokers" do not exist,

-any bank or broker is considered "offshore" if the bank is not located within the jurisdiction of the residents country,

-some (very few) banks are offering "offshore" accounts which actually are normal accounts,

-Thai banks are too stupid anachronistic to use them for 99.9% of investments outside of Thailand,

-bonds do not pay any "dividends",

-except on dividends no withholding tax is levied on any other income or capital gains (very few exceptions apply) if the owner of the assets...

...is not a US.citizen/person,

...proves to his bank that he does not reside in the European Union (not required for banks outside the EU).

example: an EU citizen residing in Thailand but holds his assets by means of an EU or UK bank is not taxed on any income or capital gains except the tax at source on dividends from stocks/shares levied by the country from where the dividends originate.

• Like 1

My friend him not live in thailand. 2 month ago him invest US$1000 for BITCOIN. Last week him sell BITCOIN all. Him sell price more than $4000. Very much risk but him very happy. Good luck for you.

And now Tonto have big wampum.

HI HO bitcoin away.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Renting out boats is working, not investing.

Well sorry for dissapointing you but most investments will require work and attention.

True, buying/starting and running a business is also an investment but I think me and most other people who have replied here did not think that's what "your friend" was looking at doing and you haven't said anything about that until now!?

Hi

How i meant the post was like lets say that you have 7-9 M BHT in a bank account to invest then what would you do with it in order to make high returns,

So if for example you choose something that requires real work then that be fine also.It can be a franchise formula.It can be stocks shares anything possible as long as you can be specific about the kind of investment and the predicted returns.

I think your question has been well answered, you may need to do some filtering.

To sum up:

-Every person will have different needs. A 35 year old who is stable in his job will probably be wise to invest differently than an 80 year old retiree with 8 grandchildren.

-With that in mind, be as conservative, or as aggressive as you'd like by fluctuating the % of your cash you have in perfectly safe Thai bank term accounts. I would say this percentage could go as high as 90 if you want to be ultra conservative.

-To boost the above return, I think investing in stocks would be wise if done properly. As mentioned above, be as conservative or as aggressive as you'd like. I'd personally make it easy on myself and just put money in stocks with a good Thai mutual fund like Bualuang Top Ten, or something similar.

After you have done that, you don't even have to think much. In fact, it may be better not to think at all, as that is what you will be paying the mutual find managers to do for you.

Anyway, that is my now reiterated too many times advice smile.png

Edited by isawasnake

I know someone that is looking for up to 5 million baht to start importing Cider.

He's also looking for up to 30 mil to start a brewery.

He's a respectable businessman in Bangkok, but you'd need to look at the details to see whether you were comfortable with it or not.

HI Showbags,

Am kind of curious how you would invest the 7 M BHT ?

If you are a US person living in Thailand and not yet retired, then perhaps 25% in SPY, 25% in BRK.B, 25% in DBJP, and 25% in 9 to 15 month fixed deposit accounts in Thai banks yielding a bit over 3%. You can buy the first three through any US broker.

HI Showbags,

If you are a US person living in Thailand and not yet retired, then perhaps 25% in SPY, 25% in BRK.B, 25% in DBJP, and 25% in 9 to 15 month fixed deposit accounts in Thai banks yielding a bit over 3%. You can buy the first three through any US broker.

I would politely disagree with putting 25% of a portfolio in a single stock, even if that stock is managed by the esteemed Mr. Warren Buffett.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

HI Showbags,

I would politely disagree with putting 25% of a portfolio in a single stock, even if that stock is managed by the esteemed Mr. Warren Buffett.

The I'd say put that 25% in another index fund instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What has worked well for me is buying Forex Futures. Each contract of $100K can be held in any currency you choose and you only need about 1% of the actual value in your account. Had you held US$ long, Thai Baht short several months ago, with 200 contracts you would have made over $300K by now. Of course this can be risky if you are not familiar with what drives the Baht up and down.

I also use a Motley Fool subscription at $2500 a year and have had mixed results. Some good (Mastercard) and some not so good (Facebook) but its more timing than anything and I'm using them for long term holdings.

Most property trusts should generate 8 - 9% relatively risk free but of course there are currency risks and withholding taxes to consider. Any Thai brokerage accounts will likely incur a 25% withholding tax on foreign dividends.

• Like 1

What has worked well for me is buying Forex Futures. Each contract of $100K can be held in any currency you choose and you only need about 1% of the actual value in your account. Had you held US$ long, Thai Baht short several months ago, with 200 contracts you would have made over $300K by now. Of course this can be risky if you are not familiar with what drives the Baht up and down.

I also use a Motley Fool subscription at $2500 a year and have had mixed results. Some good (Mastercard) and some not so good (Facebook) but its more timing than anything and I'm using them for long term holdings.

Most property trusts should generate 8 - 9% relatively risk free but of course there are currency risks and withholding taxes to consider. Any Thai brokerage accounts will likely incur a 25% withholding tax on foreign dividends.

With only one percent of the actual value in your account for each of your Forex Futures contracts I would say you are leveraged to the gills. If things move in the wrong direction, I suspect you could be deep trouble. Definitely not for the faint hearted or more risk adverse investor.

Edited by SpokaneAl

What is this Motley fool subscription thingy you speak of.

I get there emails, but have not joined, they seek circa $300 I thought for membership, so what is this $2500 ?

Rental property in US and UK can return his target- but 7million bht bit low to get in with out mortgages.

Appartments in NZ - Auckland can return his target and entry level is with in his budget.

Obviously there are considerations of currency fluctuations.

Some Thai properties can make his target.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can talk your friend through various options and things to consider, finding him property matching his requirements for a simple 1% fee on top of what ever he buys.

Can PM me if interested.

This from sky news:

""""

A major overhaul of Britain's private pension industry has been urged by an independent panel that advises the City watchdog.

The Financial Services Consumer Panel (FSCP) said the annuity market is dysfunctional and reform is needed to prevent millions of pensioners losing out.

Its report said retirees choosing where to invest their pension pots may face poor deals if sticking with insurance companies with whom they have saved their funds but face a bewildering variety of options if shopping around on the web.

They may be attracted by deals offered by so-called "non-advice" options without realising they forfeit the right to consumer protection services - or that they may carry hidden charges, the FSCP discovered in its year-long

study.

"""""

So there you have it. Don't trust paper pushing the investment "experts".