How to invest 7 million BHT ?

In fact, it would be hard to know what would be a good investment for that person, without first knowing more about him, his situation in total, etc.

Agree 101%, not enough info given, what suits me may not suit the OP.

but that doesn't constitute good investment advice for now,

Sorry, call me "old school", I stand by the "buy low sell high" school of thought.

I also have spare cash sat in a bank account earning me peanuts, waiting for being in the right place at the right time, believe me, they are out there.

Again sorry for being "old school", I believe, cash is king.

As far as I know, the laws of investing havent changed in years, luckily I can subscribe to that school of thought, I aint borrowing what I dont have, I leave that to the flippers.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a waste of a post. moved to business forum. Like being sent to Siberia.

How do you figure? Lots of good topics/advice on what or what not to do/tips on pitfalls in business that will send you broke in the business forum.

Have you ever read through it?

Ihadn't, but on my fist trawl through the posts here, I found what I expected: Rampant capitalism. Wealthy 'investors' making money at the expense of the working class.

It was meant more as an open question meaning : how would you invest if you had 6-9 M BHT in the bank.(with annual capital gains in your mind of 7-12 %..)

I have read here many interesting and crazzy misleading posts and i hope they will continue.

Fact is that each investment involves risks,And the luck/timing factor with investing matters lots.

Its clear for me that making little as 7-12% returns is actually much more difficult then most of us probably are thinking.

I personally would suggest buying small condos easy to maintain and to rent out and smaller condos give better rental returns then big properties.rental returns condos could be 4-8% then if there is value appreciation each year it might work.,cheap condos easier to resell also if in case needs cash.

Also perhaps buying a boat and or other expensive equipment and rent it out on a day to day basis might work...

Also i know there are countries like Kenia where the bank gives you 14 % interest and also some banks in India give you 10%.. would it work to split up the 7,000,000 M BHT in parts of 500,000 BHT over many different banks in countries with hight interest offers?

I understand there is the risk of currencies going up and down but maybe is you divide the 7 M BHT over many banks and countries that risk is not so big.

Who would know more about this last suggestion?

Flakes

I honestly think it is an easy choice. No capitol gains tax here. I would totally rule out buying and renting anything. If I did, it would certainly be condos, but it does not seem like it could be more of a pain if you designed it for pain yourself. You are just looking for the wrong type of trouble there imo. I understand people make money in real estate, but historically, what have the earnings been better in, stocks or real estate? Let's just call it a tossup (which I am sure it isn't, I'm sure stocks win when considering taxes especially)...... you want to deal with all the problems of a condo vs doing what amounts to absolutely nothing for the same returns in the long run? Real estate is an option, but I prefer it to be used as a long term residence myself, if you are wanting to go that route.

You could do what I mentioned in my previous post and put up to say 75% in the term account. 5 Million at say 4% is going to be earning you about 16k baht a month, then try to boost that with the 25% conservative, large cap stocks. That seems very conservative and totally workable. The reason I really like the above 75/25 ratio is if the market makes a big correction, and the environment is much more bullish, you can just move to say 75% equities and 25% term.

• Like 1

We all wish we could make that kind of return. Will be interesting to see what members come up with. I am happy to average 5% over a 10 yr. period in a very well diversified portfolio, managed by professionals, not by myself. MS>

That bar is way too low. The real rate of inflation (not the government endorsed rate) is well above 5% already, so all you are really doing is making those "professionals" rich by fees you pay.

Investing in selected equities you should be aiming for 10% or higher p.a. over any 10 year period.

You can do it yourself - provided you have the time to spend on this. But don't be under any impression that the best option is a "diversified professionally managed portfolio".

If your portfolio actually lost money in 2008, then the diversification and professionals have not worked for you at all.

In fact, an investment in the Thailand SET stock index would have returned 20% per year over the last 10 years. No management at all, just buy the index and reinvest the dividends. Of course this is not a recommendation to do that today.

• Like 1

We all wish we could make that kind of return. Will be interesting to see what members come up with. I am happy to average 5% over a 10 yr. period in a very well diversified portfolio, managed by professionals, not by myself. MS>

That bar is way too low. The real rate of inflation (not the government endorsed rate) is well above 5% already, so all you are really doing is making those "professionals" rich by fees you pay.

Investing in selected equities you should be aiming for 10% or higher p.a. over any 10 year period.

You can do it yourself - provided you have the time to spend on this. But don't be under any impression that the best option is a "diversified professionally managed portfolio".

If your portfolio actually lost money in 2008, then the diversification and professionals have not worked for you at all.

In fact, an investment in the Thailand SET stock index would have returned 20% per year over the last 10 years. No management at all, just buy the index and reinvest the dividends. Of course this is not a recommendation to do that today.

those who's portfolios did not lose any money in 2008 held either only cash or are despicable liars.

• Like 2

I honestly think it is an easy choice. No capitol gains tax here. I would totally rule out buying and renting anything. If I did, it would certainly be condos, but it does not seem like it could be more of a pain if you designed it for pain yourself. You are just looking for the wrong type of trouble there imo. I understand people make money in real estate, but historically, what have the earnings been better in, stocks or real estate? Let's just call it a tossup (which I am sure it isn't, I'm sure stocks win when considering taxes especially)...... you want to deal with all the problems of a condo vs doing what amounts to absolutely nothing for the same returns in the long run? Real estate is an option, but I prefer it to be used as a long term residence myself, if you are wanting to go that route.

You could do what I mentioned in my previous post and put up to say 75% in the term account. 5 Million at say 4% is going to be earning you about 16k baht a month, then try to boost that with the 25% conservative, large cap stocks. That seems very conservative and totally workable. The reason I really like the above 75/25 ratio is if the market makes a big correction, and the environment is much more bullish, you can just move to say 75% equities and 25% term.

No capitol gains tax here.

that is correct but there's capital gains tax levied on all assets except stocks / shares.

• Like 1

It was meant more as an open question meaning : how would you invest if you had 6-9 M BHT in the bank.(with annual capital gains in your mind of 7-12 %..)

I have read here many interesting and crazzy misleading posts and i hope they will continue.

Fact is that each investment involves risks,And the luck/timing factor with investing matters lots.

Its clear for me that making little as 7-12% returns is actually much more difficult then most of us probably are thinking.

I personally would suggest buying small condos easy to maintain and to rent out and smaller condos give better rental returns then big properties.rental returns condos could be 4-8% then if there is value appreciation each year it might work.,cheap condos easier to resell also if in case needs cash.

Also perhaps buying a boat and or other expensive equipment and rent it out on a day to day basis might work...

Also i know there are countries like Kenia where the bank gives you 14 % interest and also some banks in India give you 10%.. would it work to split up the 7,000,000 M BHT in parts of 500,000 BHT over many different banks in countries with hight interest offers?

I understand there is the risk of currencies going up and down but maybe is you divide the 7 M BHT over many banks and countries that risk is not so big.

Flakes

coincidentally i happen to know a wee bit more. fact is that investing in high yield currencies (e.g. India, Kenya, Brazil) means you can never legally exhange your cash into hard currency and repatriate it. not to talk about the difficulties of opening a bank account in these countries.

summary: forget about it except if buying bonds denominated in Indian Rupees or Brazilian Reais, hold them offshore and get the interest automatically exchanged into hard currency (either USD or EUR).

investing in high yielding Vietnamese Dong or Cambodian Riel is a different animal but not recommended.

Edited by Naam

Hello..

My friend sold his property for 7 million BHT.

He now wants to re invest it in such a way he be making 7-10% annual returns

Who has any suggestions?

Greetings,

Flakes

Telexfree 30% per mont

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why would anybody invest without a free telex and getting only 30% per month?

ohmy.png

It is best to take your time and build up your knowledge.

When asking for advice you probably would get good advice from someone who knows what he is doing.

The problem however is that when things change and decisions need to be made you are unable to do that in a timely and correct manner.

The advice could be fantastic but if the follow up is not right the whole investment can go wrong.

My advice would be, to study investments strategies very thoroughly.

Use 10% of the 7MB to try things out after knowing the fundamentals and get a feel for it.

After you have been through one or two business cycles you are prepared to invest a larger portion.

summary: forget about it except if buying bonds denominated in Indian Rupees or Brazilian Reais, hold them offshore and get the interest automatically exchanged into hard currency (either USD or EUR).

Would you happen to know one or two of these banks/brokers you could open an offshore account with?

I would be grateful to know.

Thanks

Flakes

coincidentally i happen to know a wee bit more. fact is that investing in high yield currencies (e.g. India, Kenya, Brazil) means you can never legally exhange your cash into hard currency and repatriate it. not to talk about the difficulties of opening a bank account in these countries.

investing in high yielding Vietnamese Dong or Cambodian Riel is a different animal but not recommended.

I put some USD in a fixed deposit account in Cambodia last year and I'm getting 7,75%, www.acledabank.com.kh/kh/eng/ps_defixeddeposit.php. I've had no problem transferring the interest to my Thai bank account and I don't think I'm doing anything illegal. Yes, they did require some paperwork to open the account and yes, there is the exchange rate risk (although my personal and unqualified guess is that the rate will not go much below the rate I got last year) and yes, there is the risk of the bank going bankrupt or the government somehow "taking" the money or a chunk of them.

PS I completely agree what some people have recommended here about spreading the risk.

Dude what u talking about ? do you have any specific information or is it slogans only that u got ?

Addressing him as "Dude" about says it all.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

Dude what u talking about ? do you have any specific information or is it slogans only that u got ?

Dude, i answered the nonsense posting of

• Like 1

Would you happen to know one or two of these banks/brokers you could open an offshore account with?

Thanks

you don't need an "offshore" account to invest in foreign currency bonds. any account in a proper bank (except a bank in Thailand or a British Credit Union) will suffice.

Hi naam

Sorry i got it wrong there it was not your post i have overlooked it...

Your advise did make good sense..

Regarding boat yes renting out boats can surely make more the 10% net yearly...

Renting out boats is working, not investing.

• Like 1

Three things - Gold, Silver and Bitcoin.

A good resource to see what is really happening in the financial world watch Max Keiser on RT(Russia Today).

Come back in twelve months and see where they are at.

A good resource to see what is really happening in the financial world watch Max Keiser on RT(Russia Today).

look back 12 months and see...

Yeh, you are right, but, I think the next twelve may be better viewing.

Yeh, you are right, but, I think the next twelve may be better viewing.

cheesy.gif

Thanks

you don't need an "offshore" account to invest in foreign currency bonds. any account in a proper bank (except a bank in Thailand or a British Credit Union) will suffice.

As far as I know Thai banks will charge you 7% tax at source on dividends coming from gov and corporate bonds and UK banks will charge you 20% tax on dividends. Offshore banks won't charge you anything.

Or maybe I missed something....if so do you happen to have a link to a tax free non offshore bank or broker?

Cheers