Downtown massage recommendations

attrayant

I have to admit to having been in Thailand over two years and never having done the whole massage thing (with the exception of foot/leg massage). An aussie friend is visiting next month and expecting me to take him somewhere to get a body massage. He'll be staying either in the Silom or Kaosan Rd areas.

His requirements:

1. Wants a lubricated massage, not a dry one.

2. Prefers to be naked under a towel but doesn't want a happy ending.

3. Legitimate establishment, not fly-by-night hole in the wall.

4. I suspect he'll want a masseuse and not a masseur.

For #1, I think I need to avoid the traditional "Thai massage" which is usually dry and clothed. Since he wants an oil or cream massage, I assume that any place would required you to strip down to your birthday suit - correct? I mean you can't get an oil massage if you're wearing boxers or something.

Would something like this be available at pretty much any legitimate massage business? Does this usually happen on a table or floor? I don't get downtown much so I'm not sure if I'll be able to scope out the place before I meet him next month. I'm relying in your recommendations, if you have any.

Thanks.

Been awhile but there was a good Spa, and thats what you are looking for "Spa"( as opposed to massage shop.) On the entrance to Silom Village up on the first floor. They have male and female therapists there.

There was also a good one on the right side as you enter Soi 8 off Sukumvit road.

Sorry cant confirm still there as its been awhile since I have been down there. I suggest ask in the bangkok forum for more local knowledge.

Yes, something like this will be available at pretty much any legitimate massage parlours. It`s just a plain standard oil massage.

Average price about 300 baht per hour.

Some use the massage tables or beds on legs and others just have a mattress on the floor.

It would probably be a masseuse as most masseurs are to be found in the gay establishments.

I suggest avoiding any establishments that have the word spa, VIP or club in their name just for a standard oil massage, as this usually puts up the price.

Requirements #1, #2 and #4 somewhat negate requirement #3.

Rubbish !!!...

Look for a Spa - there are loads of legitimate massage places around.

Some force those awful mesh underwear on you (which also guarantees a legitimate / non naughty spa).

But there are also plenty of places which offer a clean Aroma Massage without the requirement to wear the 'panties'

Again: Look for a well appointed (nice looking) Spa away from the sexpest hot spots which has Aroma Massage on the menu.

Edited by richard_smith237

You wont get a massage for 300 baht here, but I went to one of their locations a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic.

http://www.healthlandspa.com/location.html

Lets move this over to the Bangkok forum.

Topic moved.

Can't say enough about how great and professional HealthLand Spa is...... The aromatherapy oil massages are 800thb for about 1.5 hours; Traditional Thai massages are 500 for 2 hours. Private rooms, professional staff, quality accommodations...... Yes, a little pricey but definitely top notch all around.

Healthland sounds fabulous. That might be just the ticket. And from their gallery it appears they have double rooms, so maybe I'll join in too.

Will the masseuse expect a tip there? I know that foot massage places downtown expect tips, but up here in my area they don't. So I'm not always sure when to tip and when not to.

Rubbish !!!...

Look for a Spa - there are loads of legitimate massage places around.

Some force those awful mesh underwear on you (which also guarantees a legitimate / non naughty spa).

But there are also plenty of places which offer a clean Aroma Massage without the requirement to wear the 'panties'

Again: Look for a well appointed (nice looking) Spa away from the sexpest hot spots which has Aroma Massage on the menu.

If the place offers 1 & 2 do not be suprised if they try to up-sell you...

Healthland sounds fabulous. That might be just the ticket. And from their gallery it appears they have double rooms, so maybe I'll join in too.

Will the masseuse expect a tip there? I know that foot massage places downtown expect tips, but up here in my area they don't. So I'm not always sure when to tip and when not to.

Healthland's great! Yes you will be able to share a cubicle but would that not be awkward?

Tip not expected and not frowned upon if you don't... 20 to 50 would suffice...