Help with hard disc please

ianf

I have an Apple desktop i-mac. The hard disc ceased functioning two weeks after taking it into the Chiang Mai Apple service centre. They said there was nothing wrong with it when indeed I was having intermittent on/off issues. They offered me a new hard disc for 15000 baht but could not and would not offer any data transfer. I declined. A shop in Panthip Plaza put a new disc in for me for about 5000 and returned my old damaged disc.

OK. That's the background.

I need the data taken off the hard disc because it's a lot of photos of my Asian travels, plus loads of other stuff that I want (as opposed to need). I've asked everyone (including the Mae Baan!!) but nobody can do. wants to do, or knows where to do. Help please! & Thanks

You need to be specific .. Whats the make of HD, if no make, what year / model is the imac ?

You will probably find a HD is a HD, if the disc is functioning, then you just put it in a HD enclosure, for a few hundred baht, then just plug it into the USB and move the files across.

If your in Bangkok, any Panthip shop will sell you a cheap HD enclosure and drop your HD into it ..

What? Is that hard disk intermittently working so you can run it long enough to transfer the data to your computer?

If so, buy an external USB HD enclosure, and connect it to your Mac, if you have USB. Otherwise appropriate connections will be needed.

If the drive is dead, you will have to send it in to a specialty HD recovery center. Last time I did that it was about 7000 baht.