ATM Card Scanner Theft: How's it work and what to look for?

connda

I keep hearing on the news about thieves using ATM card scanners to take money from other peoples bank accounts. Exactly how does that scam work and how can ATM users protect themselves? What should we look for?

My atm card has a microchip in it so even if it's skimmed the microchip cannot be copied. Banks from other countries have it you guys must be using atm cards from thai banks to have such problems.

Thai banks do have cards with chips. But you have to pay a bit to get them. Excellent way to protect yourself. Along with the approach mentioned above. Only use atms inside banks.

Time for Thai banks to join the 21st century???

I do my online banking and credit card purchases with a digipass machine, European bank.

Use Thai banks for daily/monthly expenses, get sms for anything +1000 baht.

The cash way of paying for most things in this country is very stupid: buy a 1.5 million car and bring your cash, Yeah sick.gif

Apart from the other suggestions, I would recommend checking your bank balance regularly - if you notice any unexplained debits, contact your bank immediately.

Also, talk to your bank about placing a daily limit on withdrawals from your account.

Bangkok Bank do have the Be1st ATM card with the EMV chip technology; believe the annual fee is reasonable? Maybe 100 baht to join, and 300 baht/year? Its use requires a specific ATM, and not all ATMs are capable of utilizing this technology.

Some change their PIN often, enroll in SMS alerts (again, this may incur a fee), and have two accounts, one associated with an ATM card into which very limited funds are transferred - via on-line banking, from a second account, which does not have ATM card access.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Siam Comm sms works wonders. BEFORE I even touch the money coming out of the atm, the sms arrives! And I get an email if I log on with online banking, also immediately.

The rule of thumb that I use with an unknown atm is look above the box to see if cameras are pointing, and slightly hit the atm card slot to see if it is solid. Otherwise, use an atm you know or go directly to a bank branch and use their atm.

As has been mentioned:

I have two accounts:

One 'Daily use' with an ATM / Debit card and limited funds.

Another with greater funds and no ATM from which I use to top up my 'Daily Use' account.

Both accounts have SMS alert - I get alerts from every transaction + and additional e-mail when I login to internet Banking.

Given the increase in alerts I will be a lot more diligent in my ATM usage.

I'm aware that Bangkok Bank have a Chip card, but the ATM's are geographically limited and may not be easy to locate.

Do any other Thai Banks use Chip and Pin ?

Siam Comm sms works wonders. BEFORE I even touch the money coming out of the atm, the sms arrives! And I get an email if I log on with online banking, also immediately.

The rule of thumb that I use with an unknown atm is look above the box to see if cameras are pointing, and slightly hit the atm card slot to see if it is solid. Otherwise, use an atm you know or go directly to a bank branch and use their atm.

Siam Commercial bank online system is rubbish, never seen such incompetent designed system, the sms thing is just plaster on a wound.

I don't think Thai banks will get their act together before 2020 at best, say 2030 maybe same for these fast trains by 2019, to Hua Hin with 3 stops, what a joke whistling.gif

My atm card has a microchip in it so even if it's skimmed the microchip cannot be copied. Banks from other countries have it you guys must be using atm cards from thai banks to have such problems.

Thai banks do have cards with chips. But you have to pay a bit to get them. Excellent way to protect yourself. Along with the approach mentioned above. Only use atms inside banks.

Sorry guys, but EMV cards (chip cards) do not protect you from fraud. Magstripes can be skimmed (copied) as easily to other cards, PIN is gathered with the camera on the ATM and once the magstripe is copied onto another card, it can be used at any ATM or POS that allows magstripe fallback processing... and most notably for CNP (card not present) fraud in the Internet space...

Of course, EMV cards ARE more secure but not fully secure, otherwise European banks would not have fraud anymore

If a card has a chip and a mag.stripe, you could scratch the mag.stripe to make it unreadable.

Unfortunately this would make the card unusable at all these "old fashioned" ATM machines (which seem to be the norm in Thailand).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Unfortunately, the average Joe won't have the skill to check for hiddan caneras or skimmers at an ATM. They are now nearly undtectable.

I suggest that, in Thailand, as the banks won't account for fraudently withdrawn monies, that one abandons the use of ATMs and takes adavantage oif the bank's pretty tellers services.

• Like 1

before you stick your card in, grab that lump of plastic and give it a hard yank, if it comes off easy you are the proud owner of your own skimmer, maybe if lucky even a small camera

Yep, always do that but with a modicum of caution.

I've nearly been the proud owner of the front dashboard of the ATM - it must have been pulled at so often that the whole panel was about to let loose.

I can imagine trying to explain it to the BIB. blink.png

It's bad enough that learning another language is difficult.

How's it work and what to look for?

That is not a question. It reads: "How is it work" and "what to look for."

One question and one statement.

If we're here to help, let's set a better example. Please.

Most ATMs should have a flashing coloured light, around the area you insert your card, The older style skimmers normally cover this, so its quite obvious just by looking at the ATM.

The newer style skimmers actually have a clear transparent plastic around the flashing light where you insert you card, a bit harder to detect.

Edited by JohnP1752

Physical devices, Readers, Cameras etc. attached to the actual ATM are basically Stone-age technology.

Google "RFID Skimming" and be very afraid!

Then go to eBay or Amazon and you will find equipment to Scan Credit Cards even when they are in the Targets pocket and yet other equipment and Software to Clone the captured Card - all easily available on-line.

You can buy Wallets etc. designed to help protect against these Scanners but most people think the only need to cover the Keypad on the ATM!

Patrick

It's bad enough that learning another language is difficult.

How's it work and what to look for?

That is not a question. It reads: "How is it work" and "what to look for."

One question and one statement.

If we're here to help, let's set a better example. Please.

"If we're here to help ..."

Not sure who's receiving language instruction here at TV or if our raison d'être is to be language missionaries.

"How's it work" uses an informal verbal contraction to say "how does it work?" not "how is it work?"

Certainly no less elegant than the verbal contraction used in cricket.

According to the Laws of Cricket, an appeal is a verbal query, usually in the form of, "How's that?" to an umpire. Since the taking of a wicket is an important event in the game, members of the fielding team often shout this phrase with great enthusiasm, and it has transmuted into the slightly abbreviated form, "Howzat?",

A friend of mine has just had his UK ATM card skimmed in Pattaya. I warned him about skimmers and what to look out for, but still it happened. It wasent until his card was used on the internet with a Cambodian IP address his bank blocked it.