Electric gate opener repair

PeterSmiles

Anyone know where I can get the electronics of an electric gate opener checked and repaired ?

Everything is working but there seems to be a problem with the memory chip.Happened due to a lightning strike that hit the utility lines the previous day.

When opening the gate, it travels only for 1 meter, then stops and will auto close at the set time.

When auto closing or closing by the use of the remote, it also travels only 1 meter at the time but after stop it will return the same distance.

I can override all this by pressing the remote 1, 2 or 3 times each time it stops depending on the direction the gate is traveling, but it still travels only 1 meter at the time.

I have tried to program the distance learning setting again, but it still travels only 1 meter at the time during operating this program.

So my guess is something is wrong with the memory chip on the main board. Same behavior when setting the motor to free running, so resistance force setting isn't causing the issue I guess.

I am aware of Far Eastern Supplies, opposite the exit of the highway in North Pattaya, but my past experience with them is that their involvement will be more costly than a new motor.

So what I need is an electronics engineer that is familiar with this kind of issues.

Soi Siam has a gate installer/repair company, a bit after the market, but then you didnt say where you are located. I think anyone that installs gates also does the repair work. But you will always get the "have to order from BKK" line, so I just go somewhere else.

Soi Siam has a gate installer/repair company, a bit after the market, but then you didnt say where you are located. I think anyone that installs gates also does the repair work. But you will always get the "have to order from BKK" line, so I just go somewhere else.

Thanks for the advise, but most of the time it is as you say, have to order from Bangkok.

I can have a complete replacement of the main board for 2200 Baht, but the issue is probably only a few condensators or whatever, which would cost much less.

Of course for that you need someone who knows what he is doing, and a gate installer isn't necessary an electronics engineer.

some one correct me if i am wrong, but your remote has an AES bit cipher hard coded. The old ones had DIP switches. Now you have to het a new logic board for the motor and a new remote control . But this has benefits, though. have a proper antenna at the gate installed as well., not a ugly piece of wire.Then you can press your button when you see your house, drive.in right away. Will be around 120-150 USD

If the gate makes the motion to open, then I don't think it is a deep electronic problem but more to do with simply the limit switches or an obstruction the motor cant handle.

The boxes are not that smart, limit switch for fully opened and a limit switch for fully closed, there's no in-between.

It could even be ants!!! (believe me they can ruin switches/sensors)

From my experience with automatic doors it could be an issue with the encoder used to measure movement.

That is also my thought. The encoder is an electronic component soldered on the main board, right ?

You might try this one. Not sure if he's still in the same business but he's an English guy who used to be my next door neighbour. Seemed to know his stuff and may be able to answer your question.

http://www.pattayabusiness.com/default.asp?Folder=1043&IdCompanyDirectory=1213&chrCompanyName=C-Am+Co.%2C+Ltd&Category=267

From my experience with automatic doors it could be an issue with the encoder used to measure movement.

That is also my thought. The encoder is an electronic component soldered on the main board, right ?

No, in most cases they are fitted to the motor and count the revelations of the motor, or to be more accurate sends a signal every time the motor shaft moves a defined amount and also indicates the direction.

My look something like this on the end of the motor:

post-20091-0-68957100-1384609698.jpg

No, in most cases they are fitted to the motor and count the revelations of the motor, or to be more accurate sends a signal every time the motor shaft moves a defined amount and also indicates the direction.

My look something like this on the end of the motor:

attachicon.gif0507ME_MG.jpg

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at it tomorrow.