Alternatives to the iPod: I'm looking for a new MP3 Player

pinkpanther99

Hi

I've got one of the first generation iPod's. I've had it about ten years, it's worked wonderfully well in that time but just recently it's starting to show its age! The battery now only lasts about 1 hour and is increasingly starting to freeze when I use it.

Before I go out and by an iPod Touch does anyone have any recommendations for an MP3 player which isn't an iPod, as I'm just weighing up my options because quite honestly, I have no idea where the market/technology is up to these days with regards to MP3 Players.

Do Samsung or Sony not do a decent equivalent? Do they match up to the iPod? What is the software like with these devices? Anyone got any tips?

I have about 40GB of music and use my iPod for podcasts and audio books too.

Any advice welcomed, thanks in advance!

Any decent tablet can store & play audio and video as well as an iPod can for all practical purposes. They just don't have the small pocket-size footprint. Is that why you're asking specifically about MP3 players? If so, just google that and/or do a search on Amazon or any of the online electronics retailers. That should give you an idea of what's available.

have you heard of tablets?

Why would you carry one of those clunkers around if you only want something to listen to music? A Sandisk Clip is the size of a box of matches and can fit a few thousand songs depending on the size of the SD card.

• Like 1

... but not if you've got 40GB of music like the OP (and me)!

Apple said that we will in future all live with sub-par MP3 players and sub-par cameras in the interests in selling their little slabs. They'd prefer it if we watched TV on a teeny weeny screen also.

When Apple says jump .....

• Like 2

A decent smart phone with removable memory card can eliminate one piece of equipment to carry around.

32Gb can accommodate a lot of music.....

Also, you can get some bluetooth speakers and have your own room stereo at home.

Yes this is something I have thought about. I've got a Samsung Galaxy but 32GB still wouldn't be enough for all my music. And it of course makes sense to eliminate a device

Any decent tablet can store & play audio and video as well as an iPod can for all practical purposes. They just don't have the small pocket-size footprint. Is that why you're asking specifically about MP3 players? If so, just google that and/or do a search on Amazon or any of the online electronics retailers. That should give you an idea of what's available.

My tablet is too big. I want my MP3 player to be able to fit in my pocket. I've searched Google and Amazon for ideas but was just also looking for any other personal recommendations or tips from people on this forum.

If you use iTunes for your music library, creating/editing playlists, and for backing up/transferring songs to/from your iPod, you will probably won't like the transition to doing everything manually... Just sayin'

Edited by IMHO

have you heard of tablets?

Of course. I've already got a tablet but I'm specifically looking for an MP3 player. I don't know about you but my pockets aren't big enough for my tablet, especially if I'm running or out walking the dog.

I already suggested the Sandisk Clip, size of a box of matches.

post-130068-0-30482200-1384564822_thumb.

• Like 2

SanDisk Clip is wonderful but maybe still impossible to find in Thailand. I suggest Sony if you buy here; I have a Sony and really like it. When I last researched, Samsung was to be avoided. I've never been happy w/ anything from Philips.

Where can I buy a Sandisk Clip in Thailand?

You can't. Order if off Amazon. If they won't send to Thailand, get it sent to a family member or a friend. As others have said, same size and weight as a box of matches, so will hardly cost much in postage fees.

Where can I buy a Sandisk Clip in Thailand?

You can't. Order if off Amazon. If they won't send to Thailand, get it sent to a family member or a friend. As others have said, same size and weight as a box of matches, so will hardly cost much in postage fees.

I bought both my Sandisks (Clip and Fuze) from UK seller on Ebay. Had them both within a week and postage was cheap.

• Like 1

A decent smart phone with removable memory card can eliminate one piece of equipment to carry around.

Also, you can get some bluetooth speakers and have your own room stereo at home.

Yes this is something I have thought about. I've got a Samsung Galaxy but 32GB still wouldn't be enough for all my music. And it of course makes sense to eliminate a device

Many wallets now come with tiny pockets for microSD disks… stick with the phone and split your music/podcasts/books onto two SDs… Simple and cheap!

Edited by mikebike

A device that can hold 40GB of music limits your choices a lot. Best option there would probably be a Sansa Fuze 16GB + a 32GB microSD card. Not as nice as the cheaper, smaller, lighter, better 16GB iPod Nano, but its microSD card support will give you the capacity you need.

A device that can hold 40GB of music limits your choices a lot. Best option there would probably be a Sansa Fuze 16GB + a 32GB microSD card. Not as nice as the cheaper, smaller, lighter, better 16GB iPod Nano, but its microSD card support will give you the capacity you need.

How much is an Ipod Nano? I see them for over $100 on Ebay, you can buy a Sandisk Fuze for half that. You could also put the same size SD card in the Sandisk Clip (smaller, lighter, cheaper than a Nano) and get the same capacity.

Edited by giddyup

How much is an Ipod Nano? I see them for over $100 on Ebay, you can buy a Sandisk Fuze for half that. You could also put the same size SD card in the Sandisk Clip (smaller, lighter, cheaper than a Nano) and get the same capacity.

At the price it's a used, refurbished or less than 16gb fuze. About the same price, maybe a little more for an 7th gen ipod nano based on that criteria.

Brand new iPod nano 7th gen 16gb is 5500 THB from the apple store, including shipping and all taxes: http://store.apple.com/th/buy-ipod/ipod-nano

Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy with my Clip+ - if you want the other functionality, might be better off getting one of the cheaper Android phones. I've owned every iPod model, but the Clip+ is a stone-cold bargain for the price and sound quality.

http://anythingbutipod.com/

I wont even start on the audiophile DAP market - I doubt that anyone here is interested in paying over a thousand USD for a gadget that only plays music - unless your IEMs cost $1500 ....

http://www.jhaudio.com/

Expensive toys :D

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but the FiiO X3 is quite nice. Accepts a 64GB card, has the Wolfson 8740 DAC and plays every format I've thrown at it (FLAC/M4A/MP3 from 320kb/s up to the 96/24 files). Yes, there are some quirks to it, but if you are interested in fantastic sound from a well made player that costs 6400 THB at jetliveaudio.com it is well worth it.

Drives all my (admittedly low impedance) phones really well. Shure SE535, Audio Technica ES88, ESW9, M50, and AD900X.

• Like 2

Late to the party, but the FiiO X3 is quite nice. Accepts a 64GB card, has the Wolfson 8740 DAC and plays every format I've thrown at it (FLAC/M4A/MP3 from 320kb/s up to the 96/24 files). Yes, there are some quirks to it, but if you are interested in fantastic sound from a well made player that costs 6400 THB at jetliveaudio.com it is well worth it.

Drives all my (admittedly low impedance) phones really well. Shure SE535, Audio Technica ES88, ESW9, M50, and AD900X.

Just read up on these. Sounds like the ultimate machine but pricey but seems to leave the apple nano in the shade. Plays FLAC too that apple will not unless you stuff around with the file names . When i have a few lazy dollars i may invest in one.