Schengen Visa for Portugal

Hi All,

Planning a bit of a holiday next year - 2 weeks in Ireland (visa already sorted), 1 week in Portugal followed by 3 days in Brussels.

In relation to the Schengen visa - as we will be in Portugal the longest we should apply there for the visa?

I currently live in Phuket - and cannot find any info on the Portuguese embassy in Bangkok. No website or anything.

Also i dont fancy trekking to BKK to do this. Can anyone recommend a agent who would handle such a thing?

Thanks

As you are not only entering the Schengen area via Portugal but it is also your main destination within the area then yes, you should apply to the Portuguese embassy.

I can't find a website for them, but their contact details are:-

Embassy of Portugal in Bangkok
Address: 26, Bush Lane Bangkok 10500 Thailand
Telephone: (02) 234.0372 - Telephone (Int): +66.2.234.0372
Fax: (02) 238.4275 - Fax (Int):: +66.2.238.4275
Email: [email protected]

Are you asking for yourself or your spouse? What is your nationality?

If you are an EEA national and it is your Thai spouse (or other family member) who is applying and s/he will be travelling with or to join you them most of the requirements wont apply and the visa should be free.

I don't know of any reputable visa agents in Phuket; but even if you use an agent a personal visit to the embassy by the applicant will probably be required for the taking of biometrics.

As you are not only entering the Schengen area via Portugal but it is also your main destination within the area then yes, you should apply to the Portuguese embassy.

I can't find a website for them, but their contact details are:-

Embassy of Portugal in Bangkok

Address: 26, Bush Lane Bangkok 10500 Thailand

Telephone: (02) 234.0372 - Telephone (Int): +66.2.234.0372

Fax: (02) 238.4275 - Fax (Int):: +66.2.238.4275

Email: [email protected]

Are you asking for yourself or your spouse? What is your nationality?

If you are an EEA national and it is your Thai spouse (or other family member) who is applying and s/he will be travelling with or to join you them most of the requirements wont apply and the visa should be free.

I don't know of any reputable visa agents in Phuket; but even if you use an agent a personal visit to the embassy by the applicant will probably be required for the taking of biometrics.

Thanks 7by7,

Im asking for my Thai spouse. I am Irish myself.

Ill give them an email.

Thanks for your help.

Schengen visa's can only be issued for your first point of entry to the area. So if you turned up in Brussels with a Schengen visa for Portugal you'll hit big problems. Indeed I doubt you'd be allowed to check in for the flight. Having said that some countries are more flexible than others and if you had a last minute change of plans you could get away with entering somewhere like Austria.

Good luck

You need this website

http://www.secomunidades.pt/vistos/index.php?lang=en

Edited by Jay Sata

Schengen visas are not solely issued according to your point of entry, but dependant on the planned travel itinerary:

REGULATION (EC) No 810/2009 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 13 July 2009 (Visa Code)

Article 5

Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application

1. The Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application for a uniform visa shall be:

i) the Member State whose territory constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s);

ii) if the visit includes more than one destination, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay; or

iii) if no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross in order to enter the territory of the Member States.

In your case as Portugal will be the main destination in terms of length, that is where you should apply, regardless of her first point of entry.

My wife has been issued several Schengen visit visas from the Portuguese Embassy, the last being earlier this year. I am a British citizen and she is Thai. Based on our previous experience I don’t think you’ll be able to use an agent for this application, they do not collect biometrics but require in person applications and collections.

You are required to make an appointment and they will not accept an application more than 3 months before travel.

Although they will grant the visa free of charge for a spouse of an EU national they will still usually insist on an itinerary, details of accommodation, medical insurance and confirmation of sufficient funds for your stay.

If your marriage certificate is Thai, it should be translated and legalised by the MFA, they once also requested for further legalisation by the British Embassy, but we managed to convince them that the marriage was legally recognized in the eyes of the UK authorities.

On our most recent applications we also had to submit a signed declaration stating responsibility for accommodation and costs. It is attached here along with the general instructions they issue for visa applications.

It may take several attempts to get through on the phone as the consular section has a small staff.

Visit visas are generally issued within 3 weeks.

Modelo_termo_de_responsabilidade.pdf

Schengen Requirements 2011.pdf

Edited by Yarco
  • Like 1

Schengen visas are not solely issued according to your point of entry, but dependant on the planned travel itinerary:

REGULATION (EC) No 810/2009 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 13 July 2009 (Visa Code)

Article 5

Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application

1. The Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application for a uniform visa shall be:

i) the Member State whose territory constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s);

ii) if the visit includes more than one destination, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay; or

iii) if no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross in order to enter the territory of the Member States.

In your case as Portugal will be the main destination in terms of length, that is where you should apply, regardless of her first point of entry.

My wife has been issued several Schengen visit visas from the Portuguese Embassy, the last being earlier this year. I am a British citizen and she is Thai. Based on our previous experience I don’t think you’ll be able to use an agent for this application, they do not collect biometrics but require in person applications and collections.

You are required to make an appointment and they will not accept an application more than 3 months before travel.

Although they will grant the visa free of charge for a spouse of an EU national they will still usually insist on an itinerary, details of accommodation, medical insurance and confirmation of sufficient funds for your stay.

If your marriage certificate is Thai, it should be translated and legalised by the MFA, they once also requested for further legalisation by the British Embassy, but we managed to convince them that the marriage was legally recognized in the eyes of the UK authorities.

On our most recent applications we also had to submit a signed declaration stating responsibility for accommodation and costs. It is attached here along with the general instructions they issue for visa applications.

It may take several attempts to get through on the phone as the consular section has a small staff.

Visit visas are generally issued within 3 weeks.

Thanks for info - I was under the impression and from reading the application form that an itinerary, details of accommodation, medical insurance and confirmation of sufficient funds for your stay was not necessary as a spouse of EU Citizen.

According to the appropriate EEA regulations, they aren't.

But some countries don't apply these regulations correctly.

However, if the application form says they don't require them, then there is no need to provide them.

If not sure, check with the Portuguese embassy.

Countries such as France are prone to be difficult. There are big issues with Spain now mostly because of the crossing to La Linea.

In some cases you can take a Thai with no Schenghen visa to France as long as it is just for the day. I've flown a friend and his Thai wife to Le Touquet in a light aircraft and she had no problem.

Strictly speaking, a qualifying non EEA national family member of an EEA national, and a wife is certainly one, does not need a visa to enter any other EEA state; including the Schengen area.

Provided they can show that they are a qualifying family member and that they are travelling with or to join their EEA national family member.

See "Arriving at the border without an entry visa" here.

Although, as it says, it's usually better to get one in advance as it will save possible delay and hassle whilst proving your entitlement.

If they do enter without a visa they are not restricted to just one day; the usual time limits apply.

Strictly speaking, a qualifying non EEA national family member of an EEA national, and a wife is certainly one, does not need a visa to enter any other EEA state; including the Schengen area.

Provided they can show that they are a qualifying family member and that they are travelling with or to join their EEA national family member.

Although, as it says, it's usually better to get one in advance as it will save possible delay and hassle whilst proving your entitlement.

If they do enter without a visa they are not restricted to just one day; the usual time limits apply.

Can I just clarify. I'm a UK citizen married to a Thai are you saying I DON'T need to get a Shengen visa for her if visiting Europe?

Thanks Al

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

I'm saying that if you do a short trip to Europe then strictly speaking no. However that is going either by the tunnel or Dover ferry and in the case of the latter you may not be allowed to board.

Private boats and aircraft have a lot more relaxed rules. Airlines will not let someone board if the think they will be refused as the cost of return is down to the airline.

I'm talking pretty much UK/France here but the Spanish are being very difficult at the moment over the Gibraltar issue.

I should point out I'm speaking from experience here as someone who travels back and too to Europe a lot.

Other experts on here will google and point you to websites.

Edited by Jay Sata

We got a Schengen visa for Portugal a few years ago, it was for my wife to go on my sister in laws hen week, we eventually got the visa but we had a hell of a time with The Portuguese Embassy, they were very very stropy, kept changing the goal posts and were unhelpful and basically a pain, we had all the correct paperwork (not the 1st Schengen visa Mrs E has had) and they kept asking for more and more documents, wifey went there twice and on the 3rd occasion I went with her and basically confronted the guy, he was Portuguese and as soon as I was challenging why etc when he had all the required documents he pretty much looked annoyed and walked off, we got the visa and Mrs E had a great time so it was worth it but not with out alot of time and hase, perhaps just a one off case.

Good luck

Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

That's how it is Jimmy. We are all supposed to be in this common travel/business community but it does not work like that in reality.

The rules are open to however a country or border post want's to interpret them.

7by7 Googles an embassy website and thinks the legislation is are clear.

The whole EEA thing is a mess with us Brits and the Germans sticking by the rules and the rest walking all over us.

Strictly speaking, a qualifying non EEA national family member of an EEA national, and a wife is certainly one, does not need a visa to enter any other EEA state; including the Schengen area.

Although, as it says, it's usually better to get one in advance as it will save possible delay and hassle whilst proving your entitlement.

Can I just clarify. I'm a UK citizen married to a Thai are you saying I DON'T need to get a Shengen visa for her if visiting Europe?

Thanks Al

From the official EU site

Arriving at the border without an entry visa

It is always best for your non-EU family members to be well informed in advance and have all the necessary documents before starting their journey.

However, if they arrive at the border without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are your family members. If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

But, as I said, it's better to get a visa in advance

Thanks Al

It is always best for your non-EU family members to be well informed in advance and have all the necessary documents before starting their journey.

However, if they arrive at the border without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are your family members. If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

Lots of cutting and pasting there but have you any experience?

I question your advice here sometimes because it appears it is no more than one can google.

Strictly speaking, a qualifying non EEA national family member of an EEA national, and a wife is certainly one, does not need a visa to enter any other EEA state; including the Schengen area.

Although, as it says, it's usually better to get one in advance as it will save possible delay and hassle whilst proving your entitlement.

Thanks Al

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sent from my aigoPadM60 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Mr Sata,

The advice I give here is based upon a combination of my own experiences, those of others relayed to me personally or via forums such as this and the official rules and regulations.

I have been involved in forums such as this and offering that advice for over 10 years; but do not always get it right. When I do make a mistake and am corrected, I hope that I learn from it and move on.

It is, of course, entirely up to those seeking advice whether they follow mine or that of someone else.

Even if that someone else is a poster who offers very little in the way of practical advice but uses topics such as this to entertain us all with his fantasies of world travel and wealth. A poster who can't even remember what his nationality is!

Mr Sata,

The advice I give here is based upon a combination of my own experiences, those of others relayed to me personally or via forums such as this and the official rules and regulations.

I have been involved in forums such as this and offering that advice for over 10 years; but do not always get it right. When I do make a mistake and am corrected, I hope that I learn from it and move on.

It is, of course, entirely up to those seeking advice whether they follow mine or that of someone else.

Even if that someone else is a poster who offers very little in the way of practical advice but uses topics such as this to entertain us all with his fantasies of world travel and wealth. A poster who can't even remember what his nationality is!

7by7 - I personally appreciate your knowledge and I am always very happy when you reply to any of my questions as i know i am getting sound advice.

Thanks you

As has been stated above the rules are clear enough. A spouse travelling with his or her partner does not need a visa (officially)as long as they can prove relationship etc to the satisfaction of the ECO in the country of arrival.

To rely on them knowing/interpreting the rules to allow a smooth passage through immigration is IMO bonkers! Whilst the ECO does not make up the rules as they go along, they can make the process long winded and stressful. Perhaps more importantly you may struggle to convince the airline to allow boarding as they are fined heavily and made to return the passenger to the country of origin.

Some countries seem to be making life as difficult as they can but they should be processing visas in these cases without charge and without delay!

On the application form there are sections that do not need to be filled out by the non-EU spouse which includes itinerary, insurance etc. If you can fill these boxes in then so much the better but the embassy cannot make you!

A nice valid visa in the passport will do not harm anyway!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

A lot depends, Bob, on where one is travelling from and to.

One would expect IOs at a major international airport within the EEA to be more aware of and used to dealing with this rule than those at a quite land crossing or airfield.

If travelling from one EEA state to another then one would also expect airline check in staff at one's departure point to be more aware of and used to this than those working in, for example, Phuket.

But as you, the official guidance and I all say, for a number of reasons it is better to get the visa in advance.

As has been stated above the rules are clear enough. A spouse travelling with his or her partner does not need a visa (officially)as long as they can prove relationship etc to the satisfaction of the ECO in the country of arrival.

To rely on them knowing/interpreting the rules to allow a smooth passage through immigration is IMO bonkers! Whilst the ECO does not make up the rules as they go along, they can make the process long winded and stressful. Perhaps more importantly you may struggle to convince the airline to allow boarding as they are fined heavily and made to return the passenger to the country of origin.

Some countries seem to be making life as difficult as they can but they should be processing visas in these cases without charge and without delay!

On the application form there are sections that do not need to be filled out by the non-EU spouse which includes itinerary, insurance etc. If you can fill these boxes in then so much the better but the embassy cannot make you!

A nice valid visa in the passport will do not harm anyway!

Your last sentence says it all Bob.

Why anyone wants to take chance or worse still get in to a confrontation at the airport beats me.

I don't see what is so difficult about doing things the correct way.

As people crossing from Gib to La Linea know from experience arguing over rules can cost you a lot of time and grief.

By law the right way does not involve a visa! It is the failure to follow the rules that cause the problems. EU rules are really very clear. It is the (wilful?) misinterpretation that causes issues!

Try telling that to some nations such as the French. A visit to a local market there on a Saturday morning would give a UK health inspector

a breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also thinking about next years visit to Portugal to see my parents who now live there. My husband who is Thai has had a couple of Portuguese schengen visas from the UK (he has indefinite leave to remain in the UK) which were not a problem but when we went to apply in Thailand a couple of years ago the Thai worker at the embassy said it was better to apply in the UK as the Portuguese consulate was unhelpful and not likely to give us the visa. At this time we weren't married but had been living in the UK on a partnership visa -this meant nothing to the Portuguese embassy- the Portuguese guy just told us that Portugal was a catholic country and he wouldn't give my partner a visa as we weren't married. We then went back to the UK and applied there with no problems.....

To be honest the Portuguese guy working there appeared to me to be a very unhappy, arrogant man who didn't want to be there and would try his hardest to make things difficult for any applicant!

This year we will need to apply in Thailand as we are currently here....I am hoping that now we are married and with our history of previous visas things will be easier but who knows....we will be travelling in to Portugal from the UK but have no time to apply there so will need to venture to the embassy in Bangkok! If we can't get him a visa here I'll have to fly out to Portugal alone and leave him at Heathrow airport! (we are going to attend my Mum's 70th birthday party! I can't miss that!)

Would be good to know how everyone gets on with their applications!