Schengen Visa for Portugal

I have a read a general application form. I am seeking information on hours embassy is open / do i need an appointment / is there any documents i might need additional.

I live in Phuket. I dont fancy trekking to Bangkok to find i dont have all the right documentation.

I emailed there embassy but have never gotten a reply and phoned.

• 1 month later...

I have also tried to phone this number- nobody answered the English extension number but someone answered the Thai choice. They told us we need to send an email to arrange an appointment for our visa application...we will be sending the email in Thai cause it seems that nobody can speak English in the Portuguese embassy!

In order to clarify some points regarding the entry of the spouse of an EU national, please see the link below

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697006-interesting-link-related-to-the-eu/

You might notice that it is not as easy as one thinks: included is the answer to the question I had asked regarding that (specific) matter

Since you are a "Schengen" citizen living outside the EU, and you wish to travel to the same country of which you are national, the right to enter and reside of your Thai spouse is not covered by the European Union (EU) law on the free movement of the Union citizens and their family members (Directive 2004/38/EC)*, as this applies only to EU citizens who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members who accompany or join them. (article 3(1) of the Directive).

The Directive provides that the host Member States authority different than that of the EU national will have to facilitate the entry and the residence of the family members of the Union citizens who are third country nationals.

In addition, as you correctly pointed out Article 5 of the Directive on the Free movement (Directive 2004/38/EC)* specifies that "Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence."

However, these favorable provisions do not apply to the entry and residence of the family members of the Union citizens who wish to enter and live in their own country.

Instead, it is at the discretion of the country of origin authorities to determine if they will follow the common Schengen visa rules for ordinary third country nationals, or if they provide a favorable treatment of visa applications for non EU family members of the country of origin citizens who wish to enter the territory of origin and extend the validity of the visa which is already issued. Therefore, we advise you to contact the country of origin competent authorities. If the country of origin law does not provide for special facilitated visa procedures for the family members of their citizens, the common Schengen rules apply. You will find the relevant information and contact details here below:

http://www.ofii.fr/i...3?id_article=23

Article 33 of the Regulation (EC) 810/2009* (Community Visa Code) sets out the conditions under which an issued visa might be extended.

Edited by alyx

So we sent an email to the embassy on the email addresses we found on here and online- no reply. We called again, the guy said we should apply in the UK but we don't have time to do that! I have been given a new email address to contact the ambassador directly:

[email protected]

I have to write to him a message in English, explain the situation and see what he says...the guy said there is no point just turning up at the embassy as they won't help...

the saga continues!