Tourist visa validity?

I saw that someones triple entry tourist visa had an enter before date 6 months from the date of issue. does that refer to the last entry or the first entry?. If its the last, my last double entry tourist visa had an enter before date 3 months after date of issue and If i had used a 30 day extension , i might have lost my second entry. Correct??

Not correct. Your double-entry tourist visa allowed you to make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa, regardless whether or not you obtained a 30-day extension of stay after your first tourist visa entry. Let me draw you a picture with this example of using a double-entry visa valid for three months with an extension of stay after each of the two entries:

12.08.2013 visa issue date
11.11.2013 "Enter before" date
15.08.2013 1st entry
13.10.2013 "admitted until" date
12.11.2013 expiration of extension of stay
12.11.2013 2nd entry
10.01.2014 "admitted until" date
09.02.2014 expiration of extension of stay
09.02.2014 depart from Thailand

Not correct. Your double-entry tourist visa allowed you to make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa, regardless whether or not you obtained a 30-day extension of stay after your first tourist visa entry. Let me draw you a picture with this example of using a double-entry visa valid for three months with an extension of stay after each of the two entries:

15.08.2013 1st entry
12.11.2013 2nd entry

still confused. is it required I make both entries before the the enter before date? if so, the 2nd entry looks to be one day after the enter before date of nov 11, 2013.

15.08.2013 1st entry
12.11.2013 2nd entry

still confused. is it required I make both entries before the the enter before date? if so, the 2nd entry looks to be one day after the enter before date of nov 11, 2013.

Maestro,

In the example that you posted the "enter before" date on the visa is 11/11/2013 - black bold.

The second entry that you posted was on 12/11/2013 - red bold.

If the OP made his second entry on 12/11 that's one day after the "enter before" date. Therefore his visa would be expired and upon re-entry he would only get a visa exempt entry, length of time dependent on his nationality. He would have to enter on 11/11 to use the last entry on his visa.

What part of "enter before" date don't you understand very early this morning!

OP is right if he enters on 12/11 his visa is trash!

i thought I was going blind!

Oops, that was a mistake in the formula in my spreadsheet. Correct dates:

15.08.2013 1st entry
10.11.2013 2nd entry
08.01.2014 "admitted until" date
07.02.2014 expiration of extension of stay
07.02.2014 depart from Thailand

Which part of "make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa" did you not understand?

The part where the second entry is AFTER the 'enter before' date!

I thought a double entry tourist visa had a 6 month validity....(been a while since I got one).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15405-General-information.html

In fact most Consulates in Asia region have only supplied 3 months for a long time now and this trend is expanding worldwide from current reports. Unless an exception for reasons the normal validity can be expected to be 3 months at almost all Consulates in the region and at an expanding number worldwide. If more is needed be sure to explain and if required show documents to prove when making application.

Which part of "make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa" did you not understand?

I thought a double entry tourist visa had a 6 month validity....(been a while since I got one).

"make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa", means just that. You have to make both entries before that date.

You cannot use the visa to enter the second time after that date as your visa is no longer valid.

Validity of the visa is set by the consulate, a double entry is often only valid for 3 months if gotten in Asia. In many other places it is 6 months.

"make both entries any time before the "enter before" date of your visa", means just that. You have to make both entries before that date.

You cannot use the visa to enter the second time after that date as your visa is no longer valid.

Validity of the visa is set by the consulate, a double entry is often only valid for 3 months if gotten in Asia. In many other places it is 6 months.

3 months in vancouver, 6 months in ottawa!! 6 months in toronto!!

Six months at the Los Angeles Thai Consulate according to their website.

I'd been given 03 entries with enter before (03 months) from Islamabad :( a senseless limit :( Why not only double entries with this amount of time? As I've been told that on leaving Thailand by air I can ask for a re-entry stamp at the Airports. I'm not sure if that can be availed after 'enter before' date???

A re-entry permit is only valid for your current permit to stay date they give no additional time. IE: You entered on a tourist visa and got a permitted stay date of December 10th a re-entry permit would allow you to leave and re-enter the country getting the same permit to stay date of December 10th.

Oops, that was a mistake in the formula in my spreadsheet. Correct dates:

15.08.2013 1st entry
10.11.2013 2nd entry
08.01.2014 "admitted until" date
07.02.2014 expiration of extension of stay
07.02.2014 depart from Thailand

Very Big OOps. Glad you resolved it. An example of how one typo can change the whole outcome.

This is what the dates look like with a visa validity of six months (if I got all formulas right):

11.02.2014 "Enter before" date
15.08.2013 1st entry
12.11.2013 2nd entry
A copy of the Excel sheet I made can be downloaded here if somebody would like to play with it, change any variable or formula.
Some consulates sometimes use 90 days instead of three months, 180 days instead of six months.

I think this question has been belabored. I can just look at the calendar and I know the date I must use my visas by. I do use a travel budget spreadsheet and it warns me of critical visa dates / flight bookings, money issues etc. I get automatic warnings. But then again, I book my travel 2 months in advance so the date is pretty much fixed in my head...no need for calculations.

Lets complicate things even more here... add to your spreadsheet a Re-Entry Permit! Which allows you to travel outside LOS without loosing your visa or its extension!

No added complication because your re-entry permit will expire on the same date as the permission to stay you have on the day you apply for your re-entry permit.