Thai agencies to launch HIV-testing programme 'at the workplace'

webfact

Agencies to launch HIV-testing programme 'at the workplace'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) programme, which aims to help cut HIV infections, was launched in Bangkok yesterday by the International Labour Organisation, UNAids and the Thailand Business Coalition on Aids.

The programme aims to get 100,000 workers to undergo voluntary tests for the virus at their workplaces by the end of 2015. The main goal of VCT@WORK is to assist people to become aware of their HIV status early so they can continue to maintain healthy and productive lives.

Panisara "Opal" Pimpru, an actress and TV presenter, who is also the VCT@WORK spokeswoman, said: "HIV is like any other virus, and early detection and treatment is the first step towards a normal, healthy life."

Anthony Pramualratana, a senior adviser for the Thailand Business Coalition on Aids, said: "In Thailand HIV testing and treatment is offered for free through a number of public health schemes, but the challenge has been to make it known that the treatment is available, it is free, and is highly effective. Businesses can play a central role in getting this message out."

An estimated 480,000 people are living with HIV in Thailand, but only 240,000 are being treated.

The use of HIV test services in Thailand remains low, however, with only 40 per cent of high-risk groups engaging in tests in the past year, the ministry said.

Maurizio Bussi, officer-in-charge for the ILO Country Office for Thailand, Cambodia and Laos, said: "The workplace is a critical bridge between prevention education and treatment.

"We have seen the power of workplaces for delivering prevention messages in Thailand, but now it is time we turn our attention to getting more workers on treatment, particularly in vulnerable industries."

Protecting the employment rights of people living with HIV is also a key requirement for expanding testing and treatment through the workplace. Thai labour policies make it clear workplaces should not discriminate against people with the Aids virus and that confidentiality about HIV status in the workplace should be maintained.

Sawit Kaew-wan, of the State Enterprise Workers' Relations Confederation, said: "Workers are more likely to go for an HIV test when they know that their rights will be protected. The first step is always a conducive policy environment."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-16

Sure. I'm going in at my workplace to get tested.

With no real protections whatsoever that I'll still have a job if I test positive.

100,000 out of a population of 60+ million. That'll put a dent in it.

Edited by impulse

If they are serious about it then it needs to be done nation wide at the Tambon health clinic level. Where confidentiality can be achieved. And testing can be conducted on all 'willing' individual members of the Tambon.

• Like 1

If they are serious about it then it needs to be done nation wide at the Tambon health clinic level. Where confidentiality can be achieved. And testing can be conducted on all 'willing' individual members of the Tambon.

Confidentiality? Thailand Tambons? Where word of mouth gossip and chit chat is cultural?

• Like 1

They must start at every 'girlie bar' in Thailand. No girl should be allowed to work unless she has got a HIV free certificate, and anyone employing such a girl who has not had the test should be prosecuted.

Edited by oldsailor35

Confidentiality? Thailand Tambons? Where word of mouth gossip and chit chat is cultural?

I find the Public Health officers at tamon level to be trustworthy and professional.

A TV Poster earlier said that they should start the test at the parliament first. This is outrageous! How dare anyone assume that these dignified members representing the thai public would have HIV. Never! They all have latent syphillis only that have affected their neurological systems and brains and this is a typical occurence in most politicians and government servants.

By the way the figure of only about 480,000 HIV infections is definitely way out! I was told by a very reliable source at the MOPH that the figure is more like 1.6 million. Please get real Thailand.

They must start at every 'girlie bar' in Thailand. No girl should be allowed to work unless she has got a HIV free certificate, and anyone employing such a girl who has not had the test should be prosecuted.

A lot of them do have that certificate (Or test results) about 120thb at any small "Clinic" in lower sukhumvit area. No needles no waiting time....

Edited by negreanu

"Panisara "Opal" Pimpru, an actress and TV presenter, said: "HIV is like any other virus," cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Oh! Hip hip for Thai general knowledge. Satu... w00t.gif

-mel.

…and a guillotine is just a modified cigar cutter? I wonder if she is taking chances in the Smart WomanThailand contest.

There is no scientific proof that HIV causes AIDS . this is not based my personal belief. it is based on available scientific data.

please click on the following link so what i am saying becomes more clear.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/11/aids-part-one.aspx

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2011/12/19/hiv-myth-hiv-causes-aids/

• Like 1

There is no scientific proof that HIV causes AIDS . this is not based my personal belief. it is based on available scientific data.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/11/aids-part-one.aspx

Crazy conspiracy theory nonsense. This kind of rubbish should not be posted on Thai Visa. It's not science: it's just politically motivated hogwash.

And of course the wicked Mercola makes another appearance. Anything with the word Mercola attached to it it is toxic anti-truth.

Put your trust in charlatans at your peril.

Edited by partington

This is a very bad idea that will fail.

Although legal protections are available to protect against workplace discrimination for people with HIV, it simply does not work. It's another law that is hard to enforce and ignored by employers. Did you know that most jobs require Thais to get medical screenings before employment is granted, and that this test includes HIV status? I am not advocating against testing, I believe the contrary, but forcing applicants to get screened for HIV before a job offer is abusive and discriminatory. Is it necessary for someone with an office job to be negative for HIV? Of course not. Those of you here on Thai Visa who took those last few sentences and are already forming your strongly worded contrarian response... wait a moment, think. You likely come across people who are HIV positive every day, especially if you live in more urban areas of Thailand, yet their HIV status has nothing to do with the service they provide you. Do you really want to support and encourage the forced HIV screening of people seeking a job? And if you're thinking now about other services, often spoken of in these forums with a wink, well, that's a place for mandatory testing for HIV exposure -- yet because these services do not officially exist, mandatory testing would seem an impossible goal.

Back to my point...

There is rampant prejudice against HIV positive people in Thailand. Here is a Bangkok Post article from 2012:

The network recently conducted a survey on 233 HIV-positive people and found that 47% of them experienced basic rights violations in various forms and 26.18% said they had been refused jobs because of their condition. "Most people have a better understanding about the disease, but they are still very worried about it. That is why we still see many cases of discrimination against HIV-positive people," Ms Supatra said. "People living with HIV/Aids have the right to study or work like ordinary people." Ms Supatra cited the example of a third-year nursing student who was reportedly asked by her university to quit after a blood result showed she was HIV-positive. In Nakhon Sawan province, a kindergarten schoolboy was told to leave school after the school management found that he was HIV-positive, she said."

I cannot imagine the stress or pressure felt by employees when the testing agency shows up at their offices. This is the wrong way to go about testing and education. The Thai Red Cross has excellent programs that start with educating young teens in rural and city provinces about HIV -- put the funding into expanding these successful programs and not into pushing people in office settings to get HIV testing, a setting already rampant with cohort workplace pressure to comply to the group, and serious negative repercussions for someone forced to reveal their HIV positive status to their workplace.

Thailand has had success in curbing HIV infection rates in the past, but infection rates have been rising in the last several years. There are HIV infection curbing programs that have worked in Thailand in the past -- these previously successful programs need to be funded again and reintroduced.

Nice to see a well thought out and factual post here. Like you said, employers in most places do require blood tests including HIV and they absolutely will not hire people with HIV. I have seen it first hand. If anyone can tell me where employers do not do blood tests or will tolerate employing HIV positive people please let me know. I know a 32 year old with a Master's degree looking for work in the Nontaburi/northern Bangkok area.

I certainly would not agree that "most people have a better understanding" about the disease. They are as ignorant as they come and certainly there are not enough programs to inform those at high risk to get tested. When they do finally get tested they don't understand what things like CD4 count and viral load mean. I think this program in the OP is well intentioned but the workplace certainly is not the place unless done anonymously and by and outside group. Hopefully this will be the case.

• Like 1

I sure hope you are not a real doctor in Bangkok. Heaven help your patients. A person is usually considered to have AIDS when the CD4 count goes below 200. It is widely known that this leads to opportunistic infections. When people do die, it is usually from AIDS related causes. While I don't know the technical nuances of HIV in relation to AIDS or what scientific proof one needs but after 30 years I think most would agree that AIDS and HIV have some kind of relationship. You can't be a real doctor if you based your comments on the articles you referenced. They were nothing but crap.

Edited by Trouble

How many Thais go to girly bars? Your plan might save a few farangs from infection but who cares about them? The money would show better results by testing the local village knocking shops.

The Flat Earth Society is alive and well.

Dear "docinbangkok"...

You are a doctor? What kind of doctor are you? Perhaps your short name is "doc" and you live in Bangkok?

Please do not attempt to hold as scientific evidence a fervently denounced opinion that is attempted to be passed off as science in an effort to discredit HIV.

It frightens me the number of HIV/AIDS deniers I come across who live in Thailand. They are a vocal bunch, and I respect the right to their opinion, but I draw the line when this group attempts to quote articles in the hope that they appear to be scientific truths.

The usual mechanism of the HIV/AIDS denier is to create a disbelief in themselves by accepting discredited opinion, thus making themselves feel better about HIV and the risks in their own behavior that has either elevated the possibility they will be exposed to HIV, or lessens their stress over having been exposed to HIV.

The science on this issue is 100% resolute. There is no question. There is no doubt. There is no vague area of this science.

This is a very bad idea that will fail.

Although legal protections are available to protect against workplace discrimination for people with HIV, it simply does not work. It's another law that is hard to enforce and ignored by employers. Did you know that most jobs require Thais to get medical screenings before employment is granted, and that this test includes HIV status? I am not advocating against testing, I believe the contrary, but forcing applicants to get screened for HIV before a job offer is abusive and discriminatory. Is it necessary for someone with an office job to be negative for HIV? Of course not. Those of you here on Thai Visa who took those last few sentences and are already forming your strongly worded contrarian response... wait a moment, think. You likely come across people who are HIV positive every day, especially if you live in more urban areas of Thailand, yet their HIV status has nothing to do with the service they provide you. Do you really want to support and encourage the forced HIV screening of people seeking a job? And if you're thinking now about other services, often spoken of in these forums with a wink, well, that's a place for mandatory testing for HIV exposure -- yet because these services do not officially exist, mandatory testing would seem an impossible goal.

Back to my point...

There is rampant prejudice against HIV positive people in Thailand. Here is a Bangkok Post article from 2012:

The network recently conducted a survey on 233 HIV-positive people and found that 47% of them experienced basic rights violations in various forms and 26.18% said they had been refused jobs because of their condition. "Most people have a better understanding about the disease, but they are still very worried about it. That is why we still see many cases of discrimination against HIV-positive people," Ms Supatra said. "People living with HIV/Aids have the right to study or work like ordinary people." Ms Supatra cited the example of a third-year nursing student who was reportedly asked by her university to quit after a blood result showed she was HIV-positive. In Nakhon Sawan province, a kindergarten schoolboy was told to leave school after the school management found that he was HIV-positive, she said."

I cannot imagine the stress or pressure felt by employees when the testing agency shows up at their offices. This is the wrong way to go about testing and education. The Thai Red Cross has excellent programs that start with educating young teens in rural and city provinces about HIV -- put the funding into expanding these successful programs and not into pushing people in office settings to get HIV testing, a setting already rampant with cohort workplace pressure to comply to the group, and serious negative repercussions for someone forced to reveal their HIV positive status to their workplace.

Thailand has had success in curbing HIV infection rates in the past, but infection rates have been rising in the last several years. There are HIV infection curbing programs that have worked in Thailand in the past -- these previously successful programs need to be funded again and reintroduced.

Nice to see a well thought out and factual post here. Like you said, employers in most places do require blood tests including HIV and they absolutely will not hire people with HIV. I have seen it first hand. If anyone can tell me where employers do not do blood tests or will tolerate employing HIV positive people please let me know. I know a 32 year old with a Master's degree looking for work in the Nontaburi/northern Bangkok area.

I certainly would not agree that "most people have a better understanding" about the disease. They are as ignorant as they come and certainly there are not enough programs to inform those at high risk to get tested. When they do finally get tested they don't understand what things like CD4 count and viral load mean. I think this program in the OP is well intentioned but the workplace certainly is not the place unless done anonymously and by and outside group. Hopefully this will be the case.

Ludicrously they insist on late stage syphilis tests for foreigners working here but not HIV tests.

And what about the sailor boys, etc., that gave it to the girls?

"Chicken or Egg" Don't "start" with one, get em all at the same

time. And don't forget, it is "volluntary", sorta' making it all

null and void. Just my 2 satang.

gossip about an employee with a criminal record is bad enough, now they want the entire office to know they have HIV too?

atleast no one will use their coffee cup.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

"Panisara "Opal" Pimpru, an actress and TV presenter, said: "HIV is like any other virus," cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Oh! Hip hip for Thai general knowledge. Satu... w00t.gif

-mel.

Oh! Hip hip for you only quoting half of what she said in order to take the piss.

Ah! The good old one! Since most of the whole bunch of denialists who was tested HIV+ and since has died from AIDS I thought that was gone out of fashion.

http://www.aidstruth.org/denialism/dead_denialists

Especially after Maggiore went, that <deleted>, after letting her own daughter die from AIDS before her.

Her website, aliveandwell.org (!), still telling people why they don't have to fear for a positive test, and even shouldn't have one.

She got 43, her daughter got only 3.

"Scientific proof"? Anyone can define his own. There is also no "scientfic" proof that you die if shot through the head.

HIV+ test, T-cell drop, opportunistic diseases, deterioration of the body and death.

Treatment, if done in time, and continued testing for its performance and you may live a normal life.

Some in a few years, average about 10, some later and very few seems to be able to figth it off for decades.

For those interested in statistics there is an overwhelming correlation between viral load within the first months of infection, and the speed of progression to AIDS if untreated.

It's incredibly trivial, predictable, boring and sad. Have a couple of friends who are gone, before the treatment came and one after as it was too late.