Pai

Mooner

Not exactly what you asked, but I visited Pai for the first time a few months back and was not impressed. There are more westerners than local and it reminded me of a more sedate Khao San Road crowd. There are far more authentic Thai areas in the north (Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Khong, Lampang)

• Like 1

I didn't find a lot to do beyond browsing the main street, drinking, eating and hanging out in the hills. They have movie nights in places along the river. If you've got a car you can go on day trips to hill villages, cruise up to Mae Hong Son or visit the big royal OTOP project. Try posting in the Chiang Mai forum, they'll have some good tips.

Not exactly what you asked, but I visited Pai for the first time a few months back and was not impressed. There are more westerners than local and it reminded me of a more sedate Khao San Road crowd. There are far more authentic Thai areas in the north (Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Khong, Lampang)

It's been well over a decade since I went to Pai but it was always like that anyway. I have been thinking about going back actually when I saw this thread so not surprised it turned even more into a Khao San type place

• Like 1

I don't think it is intended to be authentic Thai. Nothing can be if it has tourism ambitions.

Khao Yai is not authentic Thai.

Palios is not authentic Thai

Chok Chai Farm is not authentic Thai

Terminal 21 is not authentic Thai

Pai is a tourist destination for Thais and Farangs and will suffer, like any tourist spot. at peak times.

For me, it remains quaint and full of character.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

The best thing we do in Pai ( My wifes brother lives there ) is to go and get a couple of elephants from a guy we know who does elephant rides, and take them down to the river and play for a couple of hours in the water. Its great fun and the elephants love it so much. Its amazing how far they can throw you when you are sitting on their head !!

• Like 1

Rent a motorbike...you can head up into the hills, or go towards Soppong on the highway towards Mae Hong Son (which I like much more than Pai, still has tourist facilities but is more quaint). There is the Cave Lodge there, you can stop off for a coffee and peruse the info. There is a cave you can walk through with a guide (100 baht pp as I recall), also there is some really gorgeous scenery as you head into the hills towards Myanmar. Depends on what you like to do, but it's easy to get away from the crowds if you're not into those. If you're into those then stay in Pai, go to the waterfall, etc. This area along the northern Thai/Myanmar border is one of my favorites due to beautiful scenery and interesting local culture. Lots of Shan (Thai Yai) in the area as well.

I've been to Pai many years ago, the last time last summer. We're there for 5 weeks and it was pretty boring, as it's not the Pai it was before. I guess we were there too long as our flight back to Isaan was five weeks later....

I was surprised by the number of weird would like to be Rastafarian guys. I saw a guy who ripped a street vendor off, who sold grilled vegetable with pork, chicken, near the bus station. ( On the way to the river, main road).

He said he'd paid, but I sat there and he didn't. Then many women playing with Hula Hup, being very drunk ,driving a motorbike. I'd warned two to leave the bike as they're so freaking drunk, but the didn't listen.

Next day it turned out that they had an accident. We saw at least 150 who had motorbike accidents. Didn't see those who had more injuries....

Then a warning for all traveling to Pai. They sell white heroin,near the waterfall, which could sometimes be pure. One foreign guy died overdosed in March last year at the waterfall as he injected just a little bit. He wasn't used to heroin # four. You can see some guys who're really on that shit there, be aware.

Sad is that Thailand keeps that so secret and it is and always was like that. i remember ten years ago, when a guy had to check the identify of a guy in the hospital.

There're ten dead bodies of foreigners.Sorry for posting that, but if it saves only one life, I'd be more than happy.

To get back to your question. Go and see the hot springs, there's also a new elephant camp ,where a ride on one through the jungle, or through the river is really amazing. Then visit the swimming pool. You can do some weight lifting there, play Ping Pong, and have some good food, beside swimming. Always plenty of females looking for companionship

You can make day trips to hill tribes,I've got a friend who's running a nice guesthouse. her brother is into motocross, if you'd like to crash your bones.

The owner of that place is very nice and helpful, speaks a good English.

A trip to Mae Hong Son is also nice, on a bike or bus, up to you. A difficult task is to find decent food. The "farlang" places and most of people there are farlang, are pretty expensive and the quality is really nasty.

Here's a link, the place is near the school ,before you drive over the bridge, called Baan Tawan:Please tell the owner a hello from Mike, Sisaket and she might drive you to some nice places, or you could rent a vehicle and go to several nice places by your own. If you go there, please say hi to her.She'll tell you what's worth to see and she's an honest person.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303916-d1096957-Reviews-Baan_Tawan_Pai_Boutique_Guesthouse-Pai_Mae_Hong_Son_Province.html

Wish you a nice stay in Pai! -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

You will probably meet the same lonely planet tourist there as the last place you went to.

Khao San road, check.

Full moon party, check.

Pai, check.

When I am in BKK I usually stay by City Hall, a short walk across Rajadamnoen Klang Road from Khao San Raod (which I did not know about until reading this thread) and yet hardly any of the inhabitants/visitors of Khao San seem to make it across - and yet there are many things to see. So it could also be that while Pai may be a must see place for some, that you might easily be able to avoid them.