HELP...Cnet intrusion on my computer install Download App

gennisis

For the last 6 days,every few minutes I get a screen asking me to install'Download App"

Despite clicking on the 'NO" I then get a'Are you sure you dont want to install"

I select "yes' I dont want to install.

It goes away...only to return a few minutes later.

In desperation I once clicked on the Yes install and when it came to acceptance of its terms I didnt accept and it ended...Success I thought..but no... back came further requests

I have never asked for any info of this download. Help please on how to get rid of it.

• Like 1

From your description it reads like some software was recently installed on your computer, either by you or by a browser or email client hijack, and your computer has become infected with spyware, viruses, and other malware.

If you downloaded and installed 'something', try uninstalling it and rebooting.

Otherwise I'd suggest updating your antivirus software then downloading and installing MalWareBytes: Free anti-MalWareDownload and see it it recognizes the malware and offers to remove it.

If you need assistance, there are many online forums that will walk you through the cleaning process, such as Bleeping Computer Forum

or, another possibility would be to ask other PC users in your area to recommend a local shop where they've had satisfactory service and ask them for help in removing the malware. Just make sure they know NOT TO DON'T WIPE THE HARD DRIVE without your permission.

Hope you have all your critical files and data backed up somewhere else.

Wot they said. But first go into task manager and look for a process that might cause this problem. And look at your browser plugins/addons and get rid of anything suspicious.

It's too bad about CNET. It used to be great but is now to be avoided. Look for the same download on other download sites . . . . Sometimes you can google for "offline installer" for proggries like skype that INSIST on downloading their own installer. filehippo.com often has offline installers.

• Like 1

Look for applications that were installed when you installed the application and uninstall them. Then go to the browser and turn off the home page redirection etc. If the applications that were installed (which usually show in the list of applications) are not uninstalled, the browser bar and redirects will just revert to crapware.