Yi Peng Festival expects Bt1.2 billion in circulation

Lite Beer

Yi Peng Festival expects Bt1.2 billion in circulation
By English News

1384663302669-640x390x2.jpg

CHIANG MAI, Nov 17 - The annual Yi Peng Festival in this northern province this year is expected to generate over Bt1.2 billion in circulation.

Wisut Buachum, director of Tourism Authority of Thailand (Chiang Mai Office), said the Yi Peng, or the local Loy Krathong Festival, could attract over 200,000 tourists to the province.

The event started last Sunday, where lantern sculptures have been decorated at seven spots around the city.

The Yi Peng Festival this year was created under the theme 'Sawasdee ASEAN' where all 10 ASEAN countries' uniqueness are represented to welcome tourists.

Highlight activities in front of Chiang Mai Municipality Office include a Krathong competition and boat rowing competition, among others. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-17

I used to like Loy Kratong and Yi Peng in Chiang Mai, back in '92. It was manageable, there seemed to be more food and drink and it was easy to walk around. The lanterns were spectacular. Nowadays, the crowds are such that I can't take it and the traffic is insane. You can't approach the city. Best to go out of town.

Do they shut down the airport or divert flights to avoid the hundreds of floating balls of fire? I flew in there a few years ago and saw more than a few a few hundred meters out the plane window on approach to CNX.