Over 10,000 vehicles in Thailand do not pass annual car checkup in 3 months

webfact

I wish the police would crack down on the prolific practise of (effectively) removing exhausts from small motorbikes, it really is getting very very noisy here in Pattaya, I would say possibly 10% of small motorbikes here have the silencers completely removed then the small brained pricks riding them think it's cool to have a moped sounding like a cement mixer.

One police chief lost the plot last year and ordered them taken off the road - but it lasted a week

It may not seem like much but if the trend continues it really will be very difficult to sleep here with the widows/balcony doors open

The people who remove the baffles from the exhaust pipe do not understand that when they shut off the engine the piston rings cool off too fast and they become brittle and break, therefore causing mechanical problems.

But you must understand thai culture and the thai men want you to know that you can hear them coming and going for miles. It is like their playing loud music. They want every other person in the country to know what song they are playing

" When you shut off the engine the piston rings cool off too fast and they become brittle and break ?"

"and if you slowly add water to the petrol you can eventually shut off the fuel line and run on the steam"clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

the annual check up is one big joke, they check the Horne, lights, exhaust fumes omissions,

and that is all, no other safety features or equipment such as breaks, steering mechanism

is being looked at, and forget about the engine, they simply act as non of those cars even

have an engine,

fortunately there aren't many clackers on Bkk roads, as many of them end up going up country

of even to neighboring countries.

Some places the annual check-up is copying the chassis number, printing out a standard letter to the Transport Office and recieving 200 baht whistling.gif

The Land Transport Department reported that in just a quarter of a year, over 10,000 vehicles that came in for the annual car checkups did not pass the test.

clap2.gif clap2.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif He must be talking about a single ckeckpoint, because 10.000 is about how many I notice on the road in a quarter that are visible not eligable to enter the public roads as they have simply no tail lights, license plates or whatever mounted on there cars.

• Like 1

(?) What test?

Drive your old unroadworthy Pick-Up to the Land Transport Office where yuo meet young Somchai [who is first in the "Queue"] he rides away on his motorcycle to a "registered" inspection station and 15 minutes later returns with a completed form, takes all the papers and your "Registration Fee" into the office and returns in a few minutes with sticker and log book completed. 300Baht to him and he returns to the end of the Queue awaiting his turn to earn enough to pay HIS daily Dues.

It would be a more meaningful statistic if they also disclosed how many of the 1 million cars that went through the process were actually submitted for testing. The normal procedure is that someone takes along registration book along with a brass rubbing of the engine number, the registration fee and a 500 baht note and the registration is done without any inspection of the vehicle. When I first had to do this the insurance agent advised strongly against taking the car along for inspection as I would have to wait in a long queue and the officials would invent some reason to fail the car, even if it was OK, to persuade the owner not to bother bringing the car along next time. If all 1 million vehicles were actually taken for testing, the vehicle licensing centres would be absolutely swamped and would have to let most cars through on the nod, thereby increasing the pass rate significantly. However, you look at it the licensing centres are so hopelessly corrupt and give false positives as well as false negatives that any statistics they produce must be pure BS and all Thais know this.

the annual check up is one big joke, they check the Horne, lights, exhaust fumes omissions,

and that is all, no other safety features or equipment such as breaks, steering mechanism

is being looked at, and forget about the engine, they simply act as non of those cars even

have an engine,

fortunately there aren't many clackers on Bkk roads, as many of them end up going up country

They also fail to check the "loose nut" behind the steering wheel (for those who don't understand, the "loose nut" is the driver).

Many people here can't afford a new or safer car , I am sure they would love to drive a safer car .

So stop about the bull**it safety rules in the west and adjust to the situation .

If you can't afford to keep your car safe ... don't keep a car.

The rules they are talking about are so simple. Check lights. Check emissions. Finished.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

Many people here can't afford a new or safer car , I am sure they would love to drive a safer car .

So stop about the bull**it safety rules in the west and adjust to the situation .

The rules they are talking about are so simple. Check lights. Check emissions. Finished.

So true, there seems to be something very basic wrong with the way kuiburi thinks.... he seems to think, because you can't afford to maintain your car, it is ok to drive it and put peoples lives at risk....very strange.

• Like 2

Its not always a requirement to have a 12 month vehicle check. Even different states in Oz have different requirements. Northern Territory every year...Queensland no requirement whatsoever, except when selling a vehicle when a safety certificate is required (and these can be dodgied if you know the right mechanic)

have an engine,

Testing station in Bangkok uses the brake testing machine, similar to UK MOT testing stations..

Also the emissions test is carried out.

Where I live many rural people rely on there old car and try to make a living with it , u think its ok to take away there livelyhood ? most crashed cars i see on the Phetkasem road are Bkk licences and generally new cars that travel at very highspeed . something thats impossible with an old pickuptruck .

Don't forget u live in a thirdworld country .

So true, there seems to be something very basic wrong with the way kuiburi thinks.... he seems to think, because you can't afford to maintain your car, it is ok to drive it and put peoples lives at risk....very strange.