Sunday morning robbery attempt in Chiang Mai

Old Stud

Over common in Thailand, few friends of mine did get robbed.

First one: Some of you know, might know Mike, the manager of a tony's gym in Pattaya. One early morning while driving to work,

he came accross 2 thais hiding in a soi, one of them produce a wood plank and hit him on his head. Luckily he didnt lose balance, and

was enough lucid to drive away.

Second one: another guy, Peter. One night while driving back home, 2 thais on another bike came near him, and once again, one of them produced a

wood plank and hit him hard. He fall down, the thais did runaway with his motorbike.

One more: this time, a thai friend. While driving, he got stopped by some junkies. They pulled out a gun and robbed him of all his valuable.

If you read the news section of phuket/pattaya/chiang mai/..... you will found a huge number of stories, similar to mine, are over-common.

few more to my message above:

a friend of mine, a thai girl. While walking back home, i think it was Bangna, got heavily hit on the neck/head. The scum did steal her gold necklace.

She does have a ugly scare from this. At the police station they didnt even record her complaint. They just told her there is nothing they can do.

One more, a thai friend a my gym. His girlfriend while walking back home in Bangkapi area got her purse stolen by two thai guy on a motorbike.

One more, a thai friend while walking, was victims of snatch, hit and run. They didnt succeed to steal his bag, but my friend got his neck lacerated because the bag didnt break.

you might think, my friend are all unlucky. NO in fact the main reason, i guess is i do have more friend than a some member here.

I do socialize a lot because of my age. So i meet more people than the average member here... and i don't hang out in bar!whistling.gif

ps: By the way do you remember a year ago, this american or english woman who did in Bangkok, she was a victim of snatch. But her purse didnt break and she got dragged, her head did hit the pavement.

And one more:

avoid places in Thailand that begin with Bang, especially if you`re a friend of our bender.

I would say that you have been very lucky this time not to have been shot especially if they were on drugs.

Exactly, but it seems that it is hopeless to make the OP understand that he could be dead and his family crying just because he played "cow boy".

this kind of people one day complain about the shxt that happens in Thailand when they are the cause of the problem !

First one: Some of you know, might know Mike, the manager of a tony's gym in Pattaya. One early morning while driving to work,

he came accross 2 thais hiding in a soi, one of them produce a wood plank and hit him on his head. Luckily he didnt lose balance, and

Second one: another guy, Peter. One night while driving back home, 2 thais on another bike came near him, and once again, one of them produced a

wood plank and hit him hard. He fall down, the thais did runaway with his motorbike.

One more: this time, a thai friend. While driving, he got stopped by some junkies. They pulled out a gun and robbed him of all his valuable.

If you read the news section of phuket/pattaya/chiang mai/..... you will found a huge number of stories, similar to mine, are over-common.

a friend of mine, a thai girl. While walking back home, i think it was Bangna, got heavily hit on the neck/head. The scum did steal her gold necklace.

She does have a ugly scare from this. At the police station they didnt even record her complaint. They just told her there is nothing they can do.

One more, a thai friend a my gym. His girlfriend while walking back home in Bangkapi area got her purse stolen by two thai guy on a motorbike.

One more, a thai friend while walking, was victims of snatch, hit and run. They didnt succeed to steal his bag, but my friend got his neck lacerated because the bag didnt break.

you might think, my friend are all unlucky. NO in fact the main reason, i guess is i do have more friend than a some member here.

I do socialize a lot because of my age. So i meet more people than the average member here... and i don't hang out in bar!whistling.gif

ps: By the way do you remember a year ago, this american or english woman who did in Bangkok, she was a victim of snatch. But her purse didnt break and she got dragged, her head did hit the pavement.

your friend is stupid to show her gold, except if she is Sharky (who will be hit and maybe die sooner or later if he keeps showing off as he does).

I usually don't stop if someone tries to 'flag me down'. Sometimes you are rude and sometimes you are not. 2 young guys on a motorbike usually do NOT need "help". Bad guys are everywhere in the world. My wife(Thai) can spot them easily. She says, Thais normally would not stop someone randomly like the o.p. described, they would call a friend if they needed help or pay a sawngthaew.

Next time give him your phone. Your life is more valuable than some dam phone. Then go straight to the police.

Sure. They take your phone and THEN shoot you. Personally, I'm always ready to go on the offensive if need be. A couple of months ago, I heard someone trying to break in my house. The busted the lock on the outer wooden door and were trying to get through the metal screen door. I grabbed the butcher's knife I keep beside my bed (this was around 8 pm) and I came charging down the stairs and went after them. They scattered like a flock of scared turkeys. I will not be a victim. Someone breaking into your house or pulling a gun on you is not someone you should trust to take your things, tip their hat, say thank you and then be off. They mean you harm. Better be prepared any time to try and turn the tables on them, or you'll just be another statistic. BTW, when my attempted break in happened, I didn't bother to report it to the police. The station is right around the corner, and it would have been an utter waste of time. For all I know, the would be burglars might actually have been the police.

And one more:

avoid places in Thailand that begin with Bang, especially if you`re a friend of our bender.

with your 4959 post, you should have known better, you avoid also any place begin with "Khao"

ONE MORE: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607451-beware-day-time-armed-robbers/

Are you allowed to file a police report? Could be a defamation issue.

I don't think the defamation laws are very strict in Thailand.

Wow. Are you in for a BIG surprise.

With all the Thai Bashing that goes on here, especially in the Thailand News and General Topics forums, the laws cannot be that harsh or these slanderous posts would get this forum banned on Thai servers.

While not impossible--anything can happen in the nation of dangerous kids--it does seem a tad strange. If he whipped out his tool and was out of it, it'd be more likely he'd use the thing and just take everything off the stiff farang.

I don't want to die in the streets of Chiang Mai. It was about making a call. I had an iPhone, a new Apple Mac and several thousand baht on me.

Sure things aren't worth dying for, but I wasn't about to just hand them over to two idiots because they asked for them. The guy looked too stupid

to pull the trigger, and a bit stoned. My hauling ass took them by surprise and I doubted he could accurately fire that gun at a moving target. I think

that if the two guys were polished robbers there would be no question about handing over my things or I'd get shot - in this case they were two

dumb local who blew a robbery. Making it simple for them would only have encouraged their success, and the desire to continue.

Better move away from dopes like this immediately as soon as they approach you. Don't even let them get to the point where they can ask you for something. Don't talk to strangers that look dopey.

My motto is always: don't speak to strangers or reply to strangers; don't entertain anyone that speaks to you in shitty English. What language did they speak to you in? How well do you speak Thai?

You did the right thing BUT it would have better not to let them get anywhere near you.

Are you allowed to file a police report? Could be a defamation issue.

I don't think the defamation laws are very strict in Thailand.

Defamation? Ha! What a joke. You can do anything in Thailand as long as you have money.

Besides, if we're talking about two losers with no money and no jobs like the ones who tried to rob the OP unsuccessfully, they are nobodies who have no reputation to uphold anyway. You can defame them as much as you like. They are the equivalent of the working class motorcyclists who get stopped by the police and have to cough up 100 Baht to avoid getting a proper fine for wearing a helmet. Meanwhile you, the equivalent of the Mercedes Benz driver has so much money that the police dare not stop you for speeding.