Is a Medical certificate really required for Work permit?

I received a 2 year work permit from the Ministry of labour back in September 2013. I was also given a multiple re-entry visa with respect to the length of work permit. All this was done at the One stop center in Chamchuri square. My company handled all the work permit application process but just wondering i did not do any medical checkup nor did i submit any medical certificate together with the application. I have read somewhere that is compulsory to submit a medical cert which has all the details(blood type, Blood test result, etc etc.). Makes me wonder now is there a way all the processes or documentation be bypassed.

I was also lucky to get a 2 year work permit. How do they really determine length of the work permit to give?

The medical has been a requirement, with blood test, for the last 2-3+ years in Chiang Mai and several other reported area labor departments. Prior to that for about 10 years they didn't ask for one but before that time they did but just your basic one without the blood test.

It was not needed for me either.

I have as well received a 2 year work permit and extension of stay. Apparently the length has something to do with the company being under BOI. At least this was the information I have been given as an explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same for me... I work all over and sometimes take contracts in Thailand.

After submitting my Passport to my company on a Saturday all I had to do was sign some documents in front of the officer at Chamchuri one stop visa centre on Rama IV. My Work permit was delivered to me the following day (Tuesday).

I never had to provide any other documentation which the company / agent probably had from the previous time I worked in country. I was never asked for a Medical certification.

I guess some agencies have a work around.

The WP is the BlueBook.

Careful, you may have a long work permit, but your extension of stay may be only 1 year, do check.

Not used the 1 stop, but medical has been needed for all my WP applications

My extension of stay (Re-entry permit) is same as my work permit. 2 years.

It was not needed for me either.

I have as well received a 2 year work permit and extension of stay. Apparently the length has something to do with the company being under BOI. At least this was the information I have been given as an explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That was the same explanation i got. It does have something to do with the company being under BOI and also your nationality will somehow play a role.

It actually only took me 2 hours from signing the documents to getting my work permit (little blue book) and extension of stay.

I guess there are some government agencies in Thailand who are still efficient.

There's a real possibility your company submitted a favorable medical report for you and you didn't even need to show up at the Doc's office.

Ponder that one.

Ahah...never thought bout that.....just maybe....

I have been in for 4 medicals. 1 for initial WP, 2 for extensions and 1 for drivers license.

In all 4 cases, I was pretty much incidental to the process and have little doubt that someone with a few hundred baht could have saved me the time and trouble.

Edited by impulse

Just got my WP renewed - 1 year. Needed a med cert - warning here for those who also need one. Make sure all 6 diseases etc listed below are covered on the cert. Khao Noi clinic only listed 5 on my cert and so I had to rush over the road from Jamjuree to get another one - 500 baht.

Leprosy

Active tubercolosis

Drug addiction

Alcoholism

Elephantiasis

Tertiary syphillis

• Like 1