Thai Tourist Police involved with ATM skimming gang sacked

webfact

Tourist police involved with ATM skimming gang sacked
By English News

13848462187451-640x390x2.png

BANGKOK, Nov 20 - Thailand's Tourism Police have sacked an officer arrested for involvement in a transnational ATM skimming gang.

Tourist Police Division Commander Pol Maj Gen Apichai Thi-amart said Pol Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan Saengsuk, 37, a Tourist Police officer, was dismissed from the agency following his arrest.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan was caught in Nakhon Ratchasima, together with two Russian men using an ATM 'skimmer' to hack information from their victims' credit cards and making counterfeit credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs. Some Bt2.8 million cash and 328 counterfeit credit cards were also seized.

The Thai police officer served as driver who took the Russians to withdraw money from ATMs, for which he received 10 per cent of the cash.

Pol Maj Gen Apichai said a probe committee has been set up to investigate the alleged malfeasance of the officer, and his superiors for negligence in supervising their subordinates. The probe is intended to discover if more police officers are involved as accomplices.

They will have 30 days to explain their actions to the committee, Gen Apichai said, adding that disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty.

Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan was a tourist police officer for almost seven years and performed in many cases, he said.

Gen Apichai said the national police chief has instructed him to supervise the tourist police agency more carefully and said that he will convene a meeting of his subordinates on Saturday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-20

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police officer sacked for helping Russian duo
The Nation

30220087-01_big.jpg?1384902886669

BANGKOK: -- Tourist Police Division chief Maj-General Apichai Theamart said yesterday that Senior Sgt-Major Nonthapan Saengsuk, 37, had been sacked for allegedly helping two Russian criminals, who are believed to have used fake debit and credit cards to withdraw money. He said a disciplinary probe has also been launched to investigate the officer's superiors.

Nonthapan was arrested in Nakhon Ratchasima along with Russian suspects Vasily Ivanoff, 27, and Serge Peterneff, 38, for allegedly conspiring to use fake credit and debit cards to withdraw more than Bt2.9 million from ATM machines across the provincial capital.

The suspects also had in possession more than Bt2.9 million in cash that they had allegedly withdrawn over the past week as well as 328 counterfeit ATM cards.

A subsequent search of the Russian suspects' hotel rooms in Bangkok also turned up more than Bt1.5 million in cash, 31 fake credit cards and evidence suggesting that Ivanoff may have withdrawn about Bt65 million since arriving in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima police have launched a manhunt for more accomplices - possibly foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-20

• Like 1

I cant see the problem. I think the officer should be commended for doing his duty and assisting two foreign tourists in using a Thai atm. Why he even supplied a car to drive them around. Now Thats service!

He is no doubt a role model for all of his colleagues and the public at large.

i am pretty sure that the foreign bank will be glad to learn that the main culprit, a police officer, is actually walking free

and ready to skim again...

It doesn't say he's walking free and ready to skim again.

He has been dismissed from the Tourist Police Force.

Now, being under arrest, he awaits disciplinary action, whatever that is.

• Like 2

"evidence suggesting that Ivanoff may have withdrawn about Bt65 million since arriving in Thailand."

Wow.

If that figure is correct, the skim crims will descend on Thailand like locusts. Maybe the banks need to get their collective heads together to find a solution to this problem. Maybe hire more police to patrol ATMs? :)

The probe is intended to discover if more police officers are involved as accomplices.

I eagerly await the results of said probe. More than probable will be fruitless and we will hear nothing more of the matter.

i am pretty sure that the foreign bank will be glad to learn that the main culprit, a police officer, is actually walking free

and ready to skim again...

It doesn't say he's walking free and ready to skim again.

He has been dismissed from the Tourist Police Force.

Now, being under arrest, he awaits disciplinary action, whatever that is.

Maybe a hefty fine paid to his superiors will be sufficient disciplinary action.

I wonder how many of the police in the photo never took a bribe or skimmed money from business's or was involved in a helmet checking point collecting weekend pocket money. My guess is every one

Skimming money and helmet checking...huhhh.

Might as well add ''going through a red light''...

The second photo shows at least 4 suspects handcuffed, so what is the story about 2 arrested Russians ? Who are the others ?

None of them look much like the 2 suspects in the first photo.

Edited by attento
  • Like 1

I've been robbed of 60 000 by these fellows...

Robbed by these fellows? Who, the police or the ones in handcuffs?

Off to Korat then with evidence and claim. Take your friendly lawyer. Good luck.

Edited by ratcatcher