20 Soi dogs ruin my game of golf!

pinkpanther99

I guess the quote about golf being a "good walk spoiled" isn't true for dogs. No sympathy from me, OP. I'm an animal lover who thinks golf/golf courses is/are evil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think inanimate objects can be evil.

Beiing a golfer myself I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Best solution to the problem the OP had would have been to shoot the mangy dogs and bury them in the fairway to supply nutrients to the grass.

Regarding the reaction of the manager; I have experienced the excact same reaction myself from a manager of a golf course when I finally managed to get my green and caddy fee refunded (due to serious overbooking).

Must be a cultural thing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the quote about golf being a "good walk spoiled" isn't true for dogs. No sympathy from me, OP. I'm an animal lover who thinks golf/golf courses is/are evil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think inanimate objects can be evil.

Beiing a golfer myself I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Best solution to the problem the OP had would have been to shoot the mangy dogs and bury them in the fairway to supply nutrients to the grass.

Regarding the reaction of the manager; I have experienced the excact same reaction myself from a manager of a golf course when I finally managed to get my green and caddy fee refunded (due to serious overbooking).

Must be a cultural thing.

Personally probably shoot the manager and get some nutrients for the dogs would be better.

facepalm.gif

@OP:

hum much time did you wait for the dogs to scamper off?

If you waited for less than 10 minutes, I would say you overreacted. If you waited long enough, fair game.

Also, I must say that asking the caddie what to do is not the asian way.

Theres persons are order takers and not advisors and don't show any initiative or creativity.

I think that after a 5 minute wait, the correct course of action would have been to order them to use their w-talkie to call management that they dispatch someone to disperse the dogs.

No, look we tried to play, we were probably trying to clear the dogs for about 30mins, even a greenkeeper (or at least I think he was) came over to try and help.

30 mins !! wow, I wouldn't have waited for so long - weren't there other players that were pissed off as well?

Was the OP putting? Chase those frs off! Otherwise hit right over them and then give them a good smack as you pass them on the golf cart or walk by them. I suck at golf, but pretty sure I could chip over a pack of dogs. I am known to smack dogs when they deserve it, too.

Just imagine you are a misogynist, sexist freak. Instead of saying that stuff about women (never say or do those things to women) do them to dogs. Give a soi dog a smack to remind it who is boss or when it has done wrong. No problem.

In all seriousness, though, it is kind of impressive that a "5 star" place would be like this. Of course, in my experience, the "best" places and services in Thailand are never the best. I am working on a theory about it.

Oh--Added thought after reading the post again.

As for the manager's response, typical "face" issue. I still can't wrap my head around it but have faced it in many (not all) places in Asia. The manager's job is to make sure that the course is running properly. You said that the course was not running properly. He lost face, as taking care of the course was his responsibility. Not apologizing for him. But I would bet that is what was happening.

I had a similar one in China...I went to an Internet cafe. The computer I got on was messed up. I asked to be moved to another one. The woman running the place wouldn't do it, even though several machines were available. Asked several times more. Finally, I just moved on my own. She was very upset, but didn't say anything, just gave me the dragon look of death.

Asked my Chinese friend why...answer was "she is responsible for the computers, so they should all be running properly. So, she wanted to fix the one you were on immediately and not change you to another one. Otherwise, she loses face." So, there you go. Doesn't seem logical, but there you have it.

Edited by dao16

Come on Man!! You should have revelled in the day and had a bloody good laugh as you chased the dogs, used them as target practice, offered the caddy's a tip for the one that could chase them the furthest (dragging her trolley biggrin.png ), sprayed them with your water bottle, fed them your lunch, sat down and watched the world go by and let the following players go through and make the dogs their problem.

Carpe Diem biggrin.png

I too have had my ball nicked by a stray dog on a course... Adding insult the dog dropped my ball into a bunker before retrieving my friends ball out of the bunker and dropping it on the fairway !... rather amusing... Yes laugh it off...

However, facing 20 feral animals which are snarling and getting aggressive is very different matter.

Are the 'suck-it-up' and deal with it poster brave enough to take on 20 snarling dogs ?

I do not play much golf some of it is due to the likes of you, you golfers need to chill out, a 3 wood over the head of one of them would make it scarper, you just ignore them same way you would ignore your women if they bother you. You could have passed that hole and the next one in your buggy.

So chill out mate.

A 3 wood over the head of a dog ?? Really ? Are you really prepared to face off 20 feral and aggressive dogs ? Be honest now, is this just a little keyboard bravery ?

Thats what the big Bertha club is for will split a dogs head with one swing don't get pissed off get angry or take one juicy bone and watch the 20 dogs fight to the death over it can even have side bets on the winner

Edited by pitchag

Come on Man!! You should have revelled in the day and had a bloody good laugh as you chased the dogs, used them as target practice, offered the caddy's a tip for the one that could chase them the furthest (dragging her trolley biggrin.png ), sprayed them with your water bottle, fed them your lunch, sat down and watched the world go by and let the following players go through and make the dogs their problem.

Carpe Diem biggrin.png

I too have had my ball nicked by a stray dog on a course... Adding insult the dog dropped my ball into a bunker before retrieving my friends ball out of the bunker and dropping it on the fairway !... rather amusing... Yes laugh it off...

However, facing 20 feral animals which are snarling and getting aggressive is very different matter.

Are the 'suck-it-up' and deal with it poster brave enough to take on 20 snarling dogs ?

I do not play much golf some of it is due to the likes of you, you golfers need to chill out, a 3 wood over the head of one of them would make it scarper, you just ignore them same way you would ignore your women if they bother you. You could have passed that hole and the next one in your buggy.

So chill out mate.

A 3 wood over the head of a dog ?? Really ? Are you really prepared to face off 20 feral and aggressive dogs ? Be honest now, is this just a little keyboard bravery ?

You would be lucky to get close enough to hit the darned dog. with anything,

Granted the dogs in question may well be feral, but this is Thailand and the classification isn't the same. They're soi dogs and have learned to be wary of people.

Four grown men with sticks would be more than enough for the dogs to recognize a threat and subsequently foxtrot oscar.

Jerry

Carpe Diem biggrin.png

So chill out mate.

Granted the dogs in question may well be feral, but this is Thailand and the classification isn't the same. They're soi dogs and have learned to be wary of people.

Four grown men with sticks would be more than enough for the dogs to recognize a threat and subsequently foxtrot oscar.

Jerry

Carpe Diem biggrin.png

So chill out mate.

Jerry

I've been at the wrong end of about 5 soi dogs getting aggressive with me... Picking up a stone, Turning Alpha male and facing them off, Throwing stones, taking steps towards them stick in hand... Nothing worked as they built up confidence, snarled and growled towards me... A passing motorist saw what was happening and stopped and picked me up... lt's no over reaction to look back and see that I was very close to being attacked.

Once soi dogs get into a pack and outnumber you, they can turn very very nasty. To consider facing off 20 of them with four (or two as in the Ops case) is insanity... they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Are people really justifying the Golf Course's poor management by suggesting that golfers should be prepared to attack and maim Soi dogs so they can continue their game ?

OP: Next time, go to a decent golf course in Hua Hin (Black Mountain, Banyan) and not to the oldest public golf course in Thaiand. Pattaya golfers can tell you about adventures with brave monkeys climbing on carts, stealing whatever they fancy and baring their fangs. A 7-iron will convince them to leave you alone. I have seen snakes and warans and other creatures. But nothing is more annoying than a flight of Koreans behind you. I played a course in Cape Town (Parow for the knowing) where the fairways were covered by thousands of big birds and you couldn't avoid the trolley wheels and shoes to be covered in bird excrements. Golfers play under all kind of conditions. In Thailand you usually will not get a refund if you must abandon the game due to bad weather or other mishaps. But you are forgiven as you don't know much about the beautiful game of golf.

Well, I suggest watching some documentaries about tribes and observe how they live. No one is demanding anything from anyone, shit happens, be at peace. Now apply that to Thailand and realize they have more of this mentality than us customer-ass-kissers in the west. Next time you tee off and a pack of soi dogs interrupt your game at the 7th hole a shrug of your shoulders might spare you a headache. Shit happens.

Totally agree, maintaining a golf course destroys the environment by the extensive use of pesticides and other chemicals, and requires lot of water.

Over-reaction. Remember something, you're not playing golf in the Pacific Palisades. You're in a developing country. Thai people are very nice, but they aren't used to solving problems that are minor. Well, maybe not major problems, either.

But you pay a very high price to play golf here. I never paid half as much as a round costs me here anywhere else I ever played (in developed countries), so if you're paying top price you should get top course condition and top service, including clearing the dogs. I agree with the op. There is no excuse for roaming packs of dogs on the course and if it happens the manager should apologize, refund the fee, and attempt to correct the problem.

Even in Thailand, there is no excuse for this kind of customer treatment at the prices they charge in Hua Hin.

Edited by hhfarang

Totally agree, maintaining a golf course destroys the environment by the extensive use of pesticides and other chemicals, and requires lot of water.

OK - this is off topic... But due to the extensive use Pesticides, Chemicals and water is a golf course any more environmentally damaging to the environment than an equivalent area of crops ? but thats for necessity, food rather than pleasure... So how about a vineyard ?

good job getting your refund. businesses here suck on customer services, really when it comes to refunds.

a popular rated golf course such as the above mention should properly maintain and upkeep its course from

disturbances, safety, etc.

• Like 1

My filipina GF was here for two days and asked me "why are these people so f...g rude?"

What am I doing wrong? I am in Thailand almost every month and just nobody will be rude to me. I feel like I am missing out.

Who picks you up at the airport?

i have a good mate who has lived in thailand for thirty years ....if he has a prob with dogs he is past complaining to the owners ...all he ever got was a blank look or told your prob ....now he just poisons them ....the dogs not the owners ...yeah i know animal lovers and hand wringers r incensed ...but thais do <deleted> all about dog probs ....ps i have a dog ...i love it ...i feed it and walk it every day ...but i supervise it and dont let it annoy my neighbours ...philippines is almost as bad as thailand as far as indifference goes ...they seem to get off on knowing their dogs r annoying people ...

My filipina GF was here for two days and asked me "why are these people so f...g rude?"

What am I doing wrong? I am in Thailand almost every month and just nobody will be rude to me. I feel like I am missing out.

??? I either go by taxi, limousine, or hotel car. Never had a bad experience or an attempt at scamming.

Over-reaction. Remember something, you're not playing golf in the Pacific Palisades. You're in a developing country. Thai people are very nice, but they aren't used to solving problems that are minor. Well, maybe not major problems, either.

But you pay a very high price to play golf here. I never paid half as much as a round costs me here anywhere else I ever played (in developed countries), so if you're paying top price you should get top course condition and top service, including clearing the dogs. I agree with the op. There is no excuse for roaming packs of dogs on the course and if it happens the manager should apologize, refund the fee, and attempt to correct the problem.

Even in Thailand, there is no excuse for this kind of customer treatment at the prices they charge in Hua Hin.

You obviously not played golf on the Australian Gold Coast $130 18 hole and conditions apply range officer chasing everybody up to get you of course as quickly as possible, no cart no caddy

A little par 3 at Burliegh $20 +

??? I either go by taxi, limousine, or hotel car. Never had a bad experience or an attempt at scamming.

I am just always amazed when people post 'I have been coming to Thailand 20 years and have never

had a bad experience nor seen scamming or rudeness.' Mine has sometimes started with the taxi I end up in at the airport!

I wonder if the poster is someone perceived as hi-so or he needs to get out more.

A common was 'tolls not include'....... when of course I was told they were.

Or the car stops 10km from the airport and they try to swap me into another car.

I avoid these now by using a particular agent, but of course I can never say never!

Bad service is the Bain of this country, too many people accept it and that is why it continues! It's impossible to stop dogs from being in places they maybe shouldn't be, this golf club should have handled this much better, they don't care because they don't care about the golfer and providing good service, business thrives on recommendation I am very surprised any golf course in this country still operates!! it's all down to many people who are afraid to complain and cause a problem, if I am paying a lot of money to play golf I demand good service!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app