Help. Refused non immigrant "O" visa.

Of course they may but but not all official consulates or embassies will do a multiple entry visa based upon marriage to a Thai. A single entry yes.

for the life of me I cant understand why an honourary will do something an official or embassy wont!~!??
For being 50 or over it would be because honorary consulates can't do the OA so they do the non-o's.

The biggest reason is that embassy and official consulates are staffed with and controlled by Thai government bureaucrats that often make their own rules.

Whereas the honorary consulates are not and thusly are more likely to be more flexible with their interpretation of the rules.

wow! its enough to make guys go up to edmonton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: but vancouver will do them if u have family.
Quote: So British Consulates offer a Non-O to guys even though they dont have family to visit? It seems Vancouver wont do that. interesting how its so varied around the world.

Quote: That is because Vancouver is an official Thai consulate and will only do OA visas. A honorary Thai consulate will do them.

This is why it's so nice to just show up and go for the O and all else in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

it sure seems that way! lol

Of course they may but but not all official consulates or embassies will do a multiple entry visa based upon marriage to a Thai. A single entry yes.

for the life of me I cant understand why an honourary will do something an official or embassy wont!~!??

For being 50 or over it would be because honorary consulates can't do the OA so they do the non-o's.

The biggest reason is that embassy and official consulates are staffed with and controlled by Thai government bureaucrats that often make their own rules.

Whereas the honorary consulates are not and thusly are more likely to be more flexible with their interpretation of the rules.

wow! its enough to make guys go up to edmonton
Or Montreal and Toronto. Mail in applications are accepted also.
  • Like 1

Edit. As others have stated, at most just get a tourist visa in the UK and sort out the O and the extension in Thailand. If nothing else the details are easier in Thailand. The medical is a joke and cheap, for instance.

I don't understand why you mention medicals.

There is NO MEDICAL requirement for an extension of an O visa on the grounds of retirement done within Thailand at all!

My wife and I had the same problem yesterday so will go down O-A route. I am 59 and my wife is 61.

I was told that the only people that can get an O visa for purpose of retirement must be over 65 and be in receipt of a pension and 3 months of bank statements showing that this is the case also the £18k in the bank will do .

The Embassy in London provides a very good information service though you might have to wait for 20 mins on the phone the phone line is only open 1400 hrs 1700hrs

Police check Police clearance from ACRO

Cost £92 for 2 day turn round or £19 for 10 day turn round inc postage.

Medical approx £120

Notarisation of documents inc bank statements approx £150

(: 00441962871111 (International)

(: 08456013999 (Ext. 460)
.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

I think this is what has happened to me. Both the Hull and Birmingham consulate websites have a note saying all Non Immigrant multi entry visas must be reffered to London Thai Embassy for approval. It is probably because I'm only 62 that they wont issue a Non Immigrant O multi entry visa. It seems beacause I'm too young I would have to apply for the retirement visa!!! I beleive they have changed the rules during the last year and have not published any of the new criteria.

Based on the costings above and the visa fees it would cost £505 for a retirement visa obtained in the UK. Well i'm not paying that.

I think I'll have to get either a triple entry tourist visa giving max 60 days a time or a single entry visa and convert to retirement when I arrive in Thailand.

I'm not happy!!!!

My wife and I had the same problem yesterday so will go down O-A route. I am 59 and my wife is 61.

I was told that the only people that can get an O visa for purpose of retirement must be over 65 and be in receipt of a pension and 3 months of bank statements showing that this is the case also the £18k in the bank will do .

The Embassy in London provides a very good information service though you might have to wait for 20 mins on the phone the phone line is only open 1400 hrs 1700hrs

Police check Police clearance from ACRO

Cost £92 for 2 day turn round or £19 for 10 day turn round inc postage.

Medical approx £120

Notarisation of documents inc bank statements approx £150

(: 00441962871111 (International)

(: 08456013999 (Ext. 460)
.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

I was never asked to provide a police records check here in Thailand, though that was five years ago when I first arrived. I never applied to Acro for it before leaving the UK. I'm not sure if anyone else has the same experience more recently?

"I was never asked to provide a police records check here in Thailand, though that was five years ago when I first arrived. I never applied to Acro for it before leaving the UK. I'm not sure if anyone else has the same experience more recently"

Only required if applying for an OA visa in ones own country.

Never needed when applying for an extension of stay in Thailand.

I rang the Thai Embassy in London and asked for an explanation as to why they haven't issued me a Non Immigrant O multi entry Visa. The answer was that Hull consulate (and maybe others) had been issuing these visas incorrectly for the last 5 years! I should previously never have been issued with one. It was a mistake. Now they have tightened up and require all applications to go through London so they can reject them.

To get this particular visa you need to be over 65. It's a shame they have kept this bit of information secret and have never published it, or at least I havn't found it. Every implication is that all you have to be is over 50. It's hardly surprising the Visas were being issued incorrectly.

At least I now understand what has happened. I'm still unhappy because I've now got to go and jump through hoops just to get O/A visa.

• Like 1

I rang the Thai Embassy in London and asked for an explanation as to why they haven't issued me a Non Immigrant O multi entry Visa. The answer was that Hull consulate (and maybe others) had been issuing these visas incorrectly for the last 5 years! I should previously never have been issued with one. It was a mistake. Now they have tightened up and require all applications to go through London so they can reject them.

To get this particular visa you need to be over 65. It's a shame they have kept this bit of information secret and have never published it, or at least I havn't found it. Every implication is that all you have to be is over 50. It's hardly surprising the Visas were being issued incorrectly.

At least I now understand what has happened. I'm still unhappy because I've now got to go and jump through hoops just to get O/A visa.

why do you consider satisfying the requirements that a country sets to allow you to stay in their country long term to be "jumping through hoops"??

Just another example of a embassy or official consulate making up their own rules. There is no such official rule or regulation that says you have to be 65 to get a non-o visa based upon retiring. The age of 50 or over is what is written in the ministerial regulation.

You don't have to jump through the hoops to get the OA visa you could apply for a single entry non-o at one of the honorary consulates and apply for a extension of stay here. Or get a single entry tourist visa and do a change of visa status at immigration and then the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Another phone call today to Thai Embasy in London. They tell me that you need to be 65 for a single entry non O. And that all the consulates have to refer the applications to the Embassy. That leaves the tourist visa option as my best bet.

Call Hull/Birmingham/Cardiff etc and ask THEM if they need to refer single entry Non-Imm, O Visa applications to London - I am sure they will say "no" - then you can get one from them and extend in country (Thailand)

Another phone call today to Thai Embasy in London. They tell me that you need to be 65 for a single entry non O. And that all the consulates have to refer the applications to the Embassy. That leaves the tourist visa option as my best bet.

Call Hull/Birmingham/Cardiff etc and ask THEM if they need to refer single entry Non-Imm, O Visa applications to London - I am sure they will say "no" - then you can get one from them and extend in country (Thailand)

Hull and Birmingham both refer to London now., I checked.

Not sure about the others, but it seems to be London pulling the strings here now.

To my knowledge, as mentioned previously here, the two Consulates in Hull and Birmingham have for several years been known to issue whatever you want!

"The Party" is over, it seems, and they apparently made new rules, at least in the Thai Embassy in London.

Just another example of a embassy or official consulate making up their own rules. There is no such official rule or regulation that says you have to be 65 to get a non-o visa based upon retiring. The age of 50 or over is what is written in the ministerial regulation.

You don't have to jump through the hoops to get the OA visa you could apply for a single entry non-o at one of the honorary consulates and apply for a extension of stay here. Or get a single entry tourist visa and do a change of visa status at immigration and then the extension.

And even on the Embassy's own website!

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

It would seem that at least one of the UK Hon Thai Consulates has been much to "friendly" for an extended period of time.

The resultant "crackdown" has of course affected many.

Sad...........but abusing a service will eventually result in that "service" being removed.

It would seem that at least one of the UK Hon Thai Consulates has been much to "friendly" for an extended period of time.

The resultant "crackdown" has of course affected many.

Sad...........but abusing a service will eventually result in that "service" being removed.

UK Thai Embassy/consulate staff don't help the cause either IMHO through giving out blatantly duff info on minimum visa age requirements as stated by the OP.

• Like 1

Hi

I appreciate the various posts here, particularly the OP, NeverSure & Ubon Joe who all come across as trying to help.

I`ve one main question :

Has any British citizen between the ages of 50 - 64 been able to obtain a non imm O multi entry visa within about the last 2 weeks, if so I`ve missed it ?

I`m 51, British, not married and would prefer to if possible obtain the above mentioned visa ( next year ), have had 4 previously.

No issue with showing proof of funds in a UK bank account.

I`ll be back in England next year but with limited time and being without a passport if it is held up will be very inconvenient

If I need to go down the retirement visa extension route,( my wording might be incorrect) can do that, would just need a little more planning.

A tourist visa then conversion to extension to stay I could do also.

No problem abiding by rules, just I am struggling to keep up with so many reports and seemingly changing requirements.

If anyone in the near future with similar circumstances does manage to obtain a non imm O multi entry I`d be grateful to know.

Thanks

smile.png

Edit. As others have stated, at most just get a tourist visa in the UK and sort out the O and the extension in Thailand. If nothing else the details are easier in Thailand. The medical is a joke and cheap, for instance.

I don't understand why you mention medicals.

There is NO MEDICAL requirement for an extension of an O visa on the grounds of retirement done within Thailand at all!

TiT. I had to get one the one time I did it about 4 ? years ago. Took the form to a doctor and he signed it with no exam. I "think" cost me 200 baht.

Never say never in Thailand with Immigration. thumbsup.gif

BTW, I did it on bank deposit and there was no 60 day seasoning period that way (visa exempt on arrival - 30 days.) First bank I asked opened my account without a visa. Got my O at immigration after they sent me for a medical. Waited until less than 30 days remained on my 90 day O and went in for the "retirement" extension.

Next time "if" I do it I'll do it on income and I'll be back here to find out what documentation I need to prove that to immigration because I understand that for US citizens they want proof in addition to the Embassy form. ??

Very few offices ask for back up for any income document. If they did the best proof is a bank book showing transfers into the country.

The lowest cost transfers from the US is to have funds transfered into a Bangkok Bank account via their NY branch. You can even have your SS payments direct deposited to your account.

The only offices that I know of that have asked for a medical certificate is Sisakhet and Siracha.

Very few offices ask for back up for any income document. If they did the best proof is a bank book showing transfers into the country.

The lowest cost transfers from the US is to have funds transfered into a Bangkok Bank account via their NY branch. You can even have your SS payments direct deposited to your account.

The only offices that I know of that have asked for a medical certificate is Sisakhet and Siracha.

Thank you. I actually plan on also maintaining residence in the US and banking there including SS deposits. Then I can transfer to a Thai bank as needed, as you recommended.

I had just heard that some Americans were required to prove income to Thai immigration because the American Embassies don't require proof when issuing the income statement. So I wanted to be sure to bring with me whatever I might need to prove income received in the US if needed.

Thanks. smile.png

Edited by NeverSure

I keep reading these messages and sometimes I think I get it and then I read more and I get confused again. I am American and I first came to Thailand a few years ago on a non-Imm O-A visa. Retired, not with Bt 800,000 in a bank, but with $3,000.00 a month disability from the U.S. That is well over Bt 65,000 a month.

The most recent time that I came back to LOS it was again with am O-A multi- exit, which the Thai embassy in L.A. decided to sell me. On advice from this forum, I did not bother to apply for a one-year extension, but slipped away to Vientiane and back just before the one-year limit to use the visa was up - and they gave me a new One-Year deal. That time I was lucky.

When that year was almost up I went to Immigration in Chiang Mai to get it clear what I would need to get the extension approved the woman told me they would not give me the extension unless I had my veterans' disability allowance deposited directly in a Thai bank. I know this is not right. I use this magical keyboard to transfer my money as needed from my U.S. bank into my Bangkok Bank account. And the Immigration office accepted that back in 2010.

But this time I decided - instead of fighting for my rights - which there are none in this country - or begging the Thai guard at the U.S. consulate to let me in to make an appt. with some over-worked, uncaring official in order to get an official letter ..... I took a vacation in Malaysia and flew back in to get a new 2-month tourist visa.

Fine. Then I did not go to the Immi. to extent it for one more month - instead I rode my scooter up to Mae Sae with the G/F to get a 3-month visa.

BUT, here is the problem: the Thai official at the border stamped me back in for only ONE MONTH, not 3 months. Don't tell me I should have argued with him - if they want to screw you they will - and they won't tolerate a loss of face. It was my mistake to go to Mae Sae and not to Immi. in C.M.

Now, having read these messages for British ex-pats here, I wonder how much of this applies to Yanks.

Can I expect to get an extension for this one-month visa in C.M. And can I apply here for the one-year O-A visa again?

I don't have copies of my discharge papers anymore in order to apply to have my monthly check sent to a Thai bank. And why should I have to do this?

Did you actually have a tourist visa when flying back in ? If not you were quite correctly given a thirty day visa exempt entry.

O/A visas are only available from your home country.

You may be able to convert the visa exempt entry at immigration as part of a two part process toward an extension of stay.

You must be able to evidence finances either with an Emabssey letter or money in the bank.

I keep reading these messages and sometimes I think I get it and then I read more and I get confused again. I am American and I first came to Thailand a few years ago on a non-Imm O-A visa. Retired, not with  Bt 800,000 in a bank, but with $3,000.00 a  month disability from the U.S. That is well over Bt 65,000 a month.

The most recent time that I came back to LOS it was again with am O-A multi- exit, which the Thai embassy in L.A. decided to sell me. On advice from this forum, I did not bother to apply for a one-year extension, but slipped away to Vientiane and back just before the one-year limit to use the visa was up - and they gave me a new One-Year deal.  That time I was lucky.

When that year was almost up I went to Immigration in Chiang Mai to get it clear what I would need to get the extension approved the woman told me they would not give me the extension unless I had my veterans' disability allowance deposited directly in a Thai bank. I know this is not right. I use this magical keyboard to transfer my money as needed from my U.S. bank into my Bangkok Bank account. And the Immigration office accepted that back in 2010.

But this time I decided - instead of fighting for my rights - which there are none in this country - or begging the Thai guard at the U.S. consulate to let me in to make an appt. with some over-worked, uncaring official in order to get an official letter ..... I took a vacation in Malaysia and flew back in to get a new 2-month tourist visa.

Fine. Then I did not go  to the Immi. to extent it for one more month - instead I rode my scooter up to Mae Sae with the G/F to get a 3-month visa. 

BUT, here is the problem: the Thai official at the border stamped me back in for only ONE MONTH, not 3 months. Don't tell me I should have argued with him - if they want to screw you they will - and they won't tolerate a loss of face. It was my mistake to go to Mae Sae and not to Immi. in C.M.

Now, having read these messages for British ex-pats here, I wonder how much of this applies to Yanks.

Can I expect to get an extension for this one-month visa in C.M. And can I apply here for the one-year O-A visa again?

I don't have copies of my discharge papers anymore in order to apply to have my monthly check sent to a Thai bank. And why should I have to do this?

How did you expect to get the 3 months on entry? Without a valid visa you only get 30 days.

You do not get OA visas here. You can convert your 30 day entry to a non immigrant visa entry by showing a income affidavit, passport copies and departure card. If you still have 15 days left on your entry.

To get an appointment for your income affidavit see this webpage: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/appointments/

After getting the visa entry you can go back to immigration and apply for your extension during the last 30 days of the entry. You will need a new income affidavit for the extension.

Did you actually have a tourist visa when flying back in ? If not you were quite correctly given a thirty day visa exempt entry.

O/A visas are only available from your home country.

You may be able to convert the visa exempt entry at immigration as part of a two part process toward an extension of stay.

You must be able to evidence finances either with an Emabssey letter or money in the bank.

Yes I had a visa when flying in - from KL to C.M. Why?

As for the visa I received at Mae Sae, walking back in from Myanmar, I expected them to make a 3-month stamp, so I was disappointed.

Thanks for the tip about getting extension of stay.

I keep reading these messages and sometimes I think I get it and then I read more and I get confused again. I am American and I first came to Thailand a few years ago on a non-Imm O-A visa. Retired, not with Bt 800,000 in a bank, but with $3,000.00 a month disability from the U.S. That is well over Bt 65,000 a month.

The most recent time that I came back to LOS it was again with am O-A multi- exit, which the Thai embassy in L.A. decided to sell me. On advice from this forum, I did not bother to apply for a one-year extension, but slipped away to Vientiane and back just before the one-year limit to use the visa was up - and they gave me a new One-Year deal. That time I was lucky.

When that year was almost up I went to Immigration in Chiang Mai to get it clear what I would need to get the extension approved the woman told me they would not give me the extension unless I had my veterans' disability allowance deposited directly in a Thai bank. I know this is not right. I use this magical keyboard to transfer my money as needed from my U.S. bank into my Bangkok Bank account. And the Immigration office accepted that back in 2010.

Fine. Then I did not go to the Immi. to extent it for one more month - instead I rode my scooter up to Mae Sae with the G/F to get a 3-month visa.

BUT, here is the problem: the Thai official at the border stamped me back in for only ONE MONTH, not 3 months. Don't tell me I should have argued with him - if they want to screw you they will - and they won't tolerate a loss of face. It was my mistake to go to Mae Sae and not to Immi. in C.M.

How did you expect to get the 3 months on entry? Without a valid visa you only get 30 days.

You do not get OA visas here. You can convert your 30 day entry to a non immigrant visa entry by showing a income affidavit, passport copies and departure card. If you still have 15 days left on your entry.

To get an appointment for your income affidavit see this webpage: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/appointments/

After getting the visa entry you can go back to immigration and apply for your extension during the last 30 days of the entry. You will need a new income affidavit for the extension.