I saw the new Yaris in Pattaya

thairookie

I was at a shop when a red Yaris 2014 flashed across. I think Toyota got it right this time. For a 1.2 litre eco car, the new Yaris is truly big in size. I'm sure the new Yaris will put a dent on Suzuki Swift's eco model sales, not to mention the bland looking Mitsubishi eco car.

Has anyone driven the new Yaris ?

Sat in two versions but didn't bother test driving; the base model and the top 1.2L version. The base model, despite the auto gearbox was way under-spec. Wind up windows in 2014... <deleted> is that all about?

Space in the driving seat seems adequate and the seats are firm and supportive however I am concerned they could be uncomfortable for longer periods. They have tried for a more premium and modern interior however there are still far too many harsh, scratchy plastics and material feel is still ultimately cheap and nasty. Steering wheel on the other hand feels nice to the touch and sporty with function controls on the upper range models only.

Neither of the versions I saw had any Nav system or screens which is a big minus point. Dials and gauges return to their correct position of functionality rather than floating lost in the middle of the dash as in the previous model trying to make some fashion statement.

The exterior is much improved with modern styling front and rear. Even the base model looks good from the outside with an aggressive sporty front bumper. Rear tail lights won't be to everyone's taste and will polarise opinion on the looks of this car.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I drove one a couple of weeks ago. What they have done with the Yaris, in making it an eco car and bringing down the prices, is really smart in my opinion. The Yaris always used to be a little more expensive than the Vios, and i could never really understand why people were happy to pay more for something smaller.

The new price range, from about 480 to 600, makes it really competitive on price. Choice of the bunch for me would be the 520k model. That one would have great residuals. My only worry is with the cat fish whisker design feature at the front. On the lower spec models it is in mat black finish, whereas the top model it is silver. If you are getting a lower spec one, think you need to think carefully about what colour you get it in. White might be a good choice, but really need to see it in the flesh.

It drove fine. When you use the kick down, and when you hold it kicked down, the engine does screech a bit. That would be my only real complaint, but then again, it's a 1.2 and so you are trading engine grunt for economy, at least you hope you are.

Internal plastics and fittings seemed good to me, but then i was coming from an Almera. If you are coming from something like a City, they might not look so good. At the end of the day though, i think you have to take price into consideration. This is very cheap by Toyota standards, and it's not like it is the size of a shoebox, like the Brio, so i think it represents good value.

If i was in the market to buy one, my only consideration would be, are Toyota going to make an eco version of the Vios? Because if they are, i would probably wait and get one of those instead. 5 door cars like the Yaris look good, but if you are used to the boot space of a Saloon, as i am, they are a bit less practical. I did ask the salesman about the chances of a eco Vios and he couldn't answer.

• Like 2

But it is just a shortened Vios, so a 3rd world car which you can't really compare with the previous Yaris in quality, safety and finish, which was sold in the whole developed world as well - means US crash tests e.g.

But still compared to Brio/Mirage a good option - but never e.g. to the new 2014 Honda Jazz

I drove one a couple of weeks ago. What they have done with the Yaris, in making it an eco car and bringing down the prices, is really smart in my opinion. The Yaris always used to be a little more expensive than the Vios, and i could never really understand why people were happy to pay more for something smaller.

The new price range, from about 480 to 600, makes it really competitive on price. Choice of the bunch for me would be the 520k model. That one would have great residuals. My only worry is with the cat fish whisker design feature at the front. On the lower spec models it is in mat black finish, whereas the top model it is silver. If you are getting a lower spec one, think you need to think carefully about what colour you get it in. White might be a good choice, but really need to see it in the flesh.

It drove fine. When you use the kick down, and when you hold it kicked down, the engine does screech a bit. That would be my only real complaint, but then again, it's a 1.2 and so you are trading engine grunt for economy, at least you hope you are.

Internal plastics and fittings seemed good to me, but then i was coming from an Almera. If you are coming from something like a City, they might not look so good. At the end of the day though, i think you have to take price into consideration. This is very cheap by Toyota standards, and it's not like it is the size of a shoebox, like the Brio, so i think it represents good value.

If i was in the market to buy one, my only consideration would be, are Toyota going to make an eco version of the Vios? Because if they are, i would probably wait and get one of those instead. 5 door cars like the Yaris look good, but if you are used to the boot space of a Saloon, as i am, they are a bit less practical. I did ask the salesman about the chances of a eco Vios and he couldn't answer

I agree about the front spoiler colour. For me, the black looks a lot better than the silver accents, especially in the red colour car I saw. They got a couple of different models sitting outside Asiatique shopping precinct, when I recover from my hangover I might go over and have a sniff around.

I must admit I enjoyed my old 1.5 Yaris when I had it. It was a great little car for driving about Bangkok.

One weird thing i did notice, all the models had the black plastic insets at the front where fog lights should be, but none, not even the top model, actually has fog lights. Perhaps they have left them off so as to keep them as an extra feature of an S "sportivo" model, when that comes out.

• Like 1

Yeh, I spotted that as well. With that type of spoiler you sort of expect them to be there.

Yeah you would, and for what they cost, they should really have bung them on the present top model.

I guess they can be added aftermarket quite cheaply though.

Saw one in Amata tescos, didn't bother sitting in it as it was so ugly.

Yep !! I think my Mrs one is a purrdy little thing, the 1.5 lump is going strong.

post-87530-0-14402600-1385184347.jpg

Still not got round to getting a chrome fuel cap cover yet. bah.gif

Edited by Kwasaki