• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep - It's time to pack up, go home and do your Chrstmas shopping

I don't think it's time to pack, rather time to accelerate a little

Posted Today, 11:25

Pheu Thai to go ahead with charter amendment

Charupong reiterated his party’s stance to continue the charter amendment though amendment to the charter regarding the composition of the Senate was rejected by the Constitution Court yesterday,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683228-pheu-thai-to-go-ahead-with-charter-amendment/

Edited by PeterSmiles

Hope that most of the above quotes are by farangs because it does seem to me that Thai politics is locked in some timewarp that most democracies moved out of a couple of centuries ago. There is a golden moment of opportunity here for the Thai people to establish a mature democracy but when you hear some of the ministers comments on the IMF, World Justice court, tourism, education etc you wonder if they are not old enough to wear long trousers. This country which has so much to offer in terms of culture, generosity of spirit and gorgeous people needs to tread very carefully in the next few years otherwise it risks serious economic decline and becoming the laughing stock of Asia. There are no easy solutions but it might not be a bad idea if the country starts looking outwards instead of inwards. I love this country and I think what irks me most is to see it going backwards;

What golden opportunity?

The Democrat party are not interested in democracy, only preserving the old status quo so the same old monied families can continue to use Thailand as their own personal fiefdom. Hence their support for the PAD and the current protests. The Shinawatras are not interested either as stated by Police Lt. Col. Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra himself.

Just be thankful Thailand is no longer a place of absolutes or a military dictatorship.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well said and thought out Farangtalk!

I wonder: if the gun-ho anti-Thaksinistas have read the Thai Constitution.

Do they know about the feudal instituted system of appointing people to the Parliament? Do they know that the MPs can be appointed by the powers-that-are and not elected?

Or it makes no difference to the Farangs because Thai Democrats are lily-white as they are presumed to be in their respective countries?

Looks to me that I must have miscommunicated my point for 'farang talk' ! As far as I can see the most effective protests has come from the people, and peacefully at that- you cannot start to become democratic as a country unless the people firmly believe it and at the moment it seems they don't believe in the political parties at all and wish to change the status quo and that is why I wrote it could be a golden opportunity. Many countries have had their political systems completely overhauled, sometimes to the people's advantage and unfortunately sometimes not. Farang talk's dismissive attitude smacks of negativity to me - being realistic is one thing for sure but who would have believed how the map of Europe looks to-day fifty years ago! ( Ah yes before anyone says it Thais are not Europeans!) so what!

Edited by leggo

"BANGKOK, Nov 21 – The leader of the Democrat-led Democracy Monument rally declared yesterday that the group’s demonstration will not end unless the Thaksin regime is totally wiped out."

Thaksin is a classic pronoid and wont give up his narcissistic agenda even if it devolves Thailand into a banana republic and puts every Thai into debt slavery. The only hope for the Thais is to limit the damage by cutting his control over the government once and for all.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

So,everybody forget when Suthep in charge what happend to the palmoil prices.

Thailand still pay the price for his actions.

see this story and think twice,they are all the same here in politics

http://asiancorrespondent.com/49900/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/

Palm oil then. Rice pledge now. Same, same but different shirt color and commodity.

BTW. To those addicted to being right, historical facts are anathema to them. Anything that departs from their feelings/opinions is to be attacked and taken ad hominem. Never debate the issue. Vilify instead.

He's achieved so much in the 3 weeks or so...all with no violence..no-one hurt (that I know of)....got bad legislation proposals quashed...gave an incompetent and corrupt government a major shake up.....gave TS (and 25000 others) a big set-back in his bid for freedom......good on him I say!

He is a seditionist wanting to overthrow an elected government by force. This is an act of treason, and should be punished accordingly. There is no "Thaksin" government. Thaksin's sister does not make it his government. He is a convicted felon living in exile.

• Like 2

He's achieved so much in the 3 weeks or so...all with no violence..no-one hurt (that I know of)....got bad legislation proposals quashed...gave an incompetent and corrupt government a major shake up.....gave TS (and 25000 others) a big set-back in his bid for freedom......good on him I say!

He is a seditionist wanting to overthrow an elected government by force. This is an act of treason, and should be punished accordingly. There is no "Thaksin" government. Thaksin's sister does not make it his government. He is a convicted felon living in exile.

Good grief.. I have never ever met someone on here that had such opaque vision.

Phua Thai is Thaksins political tool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheu_Thai_Party

He owns it, runs it and is in control of it. It has been stated many times in Thai and ENGLISH PRESS BY HIMSELF and others.

Suthep is also an idiot, a politician of the old school that Thailand would be best done with BUT he was careful to state Thaksin regime.. Not the government.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Phua Thai is Thaksins political tool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheu_Thai_Party

He owns it, runs it and is in control of it. It has been stated many times in Thai and ENGLISH PRESS BY HIMSELF and others.

Suthep is also an idiot, a politician of the old school that Thailand would be best done with BUT he was careful to state Thaksin regime.. Not the government.

No matter how much control Thaksin has over Pheu Thai, it is still the people's government that was elected. Only the people can, and should, change it.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Suthep just the figurehead of a popular peoples movement that wishes to remove a corrupt Thaksin run administration, not through violence but by people power? Furthermore, isn't those that have taken to the streets just the tip of the iceberg, as many more millions of Thai are protesting, publicly via social media sights. That why the PTP are threatening not only those that post anti-government statement but those that like the posts?

Edited by waza

So,everybody forget when Suthep in charge what happend to the palmoil prices.

Thailand still pay the price for his actions.

see this story and think twice,they are all the same here in politics

http://asiancorrespondent.com/49900/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/

Palm oil then. Rice pledge now. Same, same but different shirt color and commodity.

BTW. To those addicted to being right, historical facts are anathema to them. Anything that departs from their feelings/opinions is to be attacked and taken ad hominem. Never debate the issue. Vilify instead.

Having read the link article, as I am sure you have done, I notice that the baht numbers quoted are ~1% of those currently in play for the rice scam. If I can accept the strong possibility that corruption was involved then, can you gentlemen accept the rice scam is 100 times worse?

• Like 1

He is a seditionist wanting to overthrow an elected government by force. This is an act of treason, and should be  punished  accordingly. There is no "Thaksin" government. Thaksin's sister does not make it his government. He is a convicted felon living in exile. 

You were against the red shirt protests in 2010 weren't you, since they were trying to overthrow the elected Democrat government by force.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

No matter how much control Thaksin has over Pheu Thai, it is still the people's government that was elected. Only the people can, and should, change it.

What do you think they are doing. If it hadn't been for the people Thaksin would be in Bangkok going door to door emptying your wallets personally. He wouldn't have a dumb Dora mouthpiece doing it for him.

I have just read an article about Thaksin talking of a "shining new age".

I daren't post the link on here, as it is a sensitive matter, but search Google and there are many links.

He is definitely planning a come back.If the mods want to remove this posting then please do so.

Edit:

Someone told me it was news but now I have seen the date.... November 2009. Sorry.

Edited by petedk

He is a seditionist wanting to overthrow an elected government by force. This is an act of treason, and should be  punished  accordingly. There is no "Thaksin" government. Thaksin's sister does not make it his government. He is a convicted felon living in exile. 

Phua Thai is Thaksins political tool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheu_Thai_Party

I agree.

Dissolve the house

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You were against the red shirt protests in 2010 weren't you, since they were trying to overthrow the elected Democrat government by force.

The Abhisit government government was never elected. It was put in place by the courts following the occupation of the Bangkok airports by the Yellow shirts following the coup by the Army against the elected Thaksin government. I was in favor of the Red shirt cause in 2010, but not the tactics. Red shirt leaders and followers who were responsible for all the damage to Bangkok and it's people should be indicted and tried.

• Like 2

The Abhisit government government was never elected. It was put in place by the courts following the occupation of the Bangkok airports by the Yellow shirts following the coup by the Army against the elected Thaksin government. I was in favor of the Red shirt cause in 2010, but not the tactics. Red shirt leaders and followers who were responsible for all the damage to Bangkok and it's people should be indicted and tried.

I think you should do some research.

Firstly, there was no elected government when the coup occurred. The 2006 elections resulted in a number of electorates where there was no MP was elected (due to rules requiring the candidate to get 20% of the vote). Without the required number of MPs (in total, not just his party), Thaksin couldn't resume parliament and form government. Then the elections were annulled. Thaksin also stood down as care-taker PM (which he became after dissolving parliament for the election).

So, not only was there no elected government, Thaksin wasn't even the care-taker PM at the time of the coup.

Secondly, in 2008 following the disbanding of the PPP and the banning of the PPP executives, the remaining PPP MPs moved to the newly formed PTP. A PTP MP (Chaovarat) became the acting PM. He called for an election for a new PM in parliament (which is how all PMs get elected, except it's usually following a general election), which is when Abhisit was elected PM.

So, not only did the courts NOT put Abhisit in place as PM, he was elected PM by the majority of MPs, the same as Thaksin, Samak, and Somchai before him (yes ... after some dodgy dealings, the same as Thaksin, Samak and Somchai before him).

Following is from Wikipedia re Thaksin being elected in 2005:

2005 re-election campaign[

Under the slogans "Four Years of Repair – Four years of Reconstruction" and "Building Opportunities", Thaksin and the TRT won landslide victories in the February 2005 elections, sweeping 374 out of 500 seats in Parliament. The election had the highest voter turnout in Thai history.

• Like 1

Under the slogans "Four Years of Repair – Four years of Reconstruction" and "Building Opportunities", Thaksin and the TRT won landslide victories in the February 2005 elections, sweeping 374 out of 500 seats in Parliament. The election had the highest voter turnout in Thai history.

Are you seriously not aware that there were elections in 2006?

• Like 1

Then the question to this protest leaders : why the majority of Thai people's chosen PM Yinluck by Democratic election as There's political leader of Thailand !!??

To put you back on track NOBODY from the public voted for Yingluck at all.

She is a party list MP and was in the #1 slot because her brother Thaksin put her there and then told ALL the PTP MPs to vote for her as PM and who among them would dare to disobey the master.

It was a private party vote and as Thaksin owns the PTP lock, stock and two smoking barrels his was the ONLY vote that counted. Not the MPs and certainly NOT the majority of the Thai people, they had NO say in it at all.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Then the question to this protest leaders : why the majority of Thai people's chosen PM Yinluck by Democratic election as There's political leader of Thailand !!??

She is a party list MP and was in the #1 slot because her brother Thaksin put her there and then told ALL the PTP MPs to vote for her as PM and who among them would dare to disobey the master.

It was a private party vote and as Thaksin owns the PTP lock, stock and two smoking barrels his was the ONLY vote that counted. Not the MPs and certainly NOT the majority of the Thai people, they had NO say in it at all.

Perhaps you should communicate your information to Reuters (and indeed every other news agency domestic and international)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/03/us-thailand-election-idUSTRE76013T20110703

Otherwise there is a danger you would be seen as just another demented old nutjob (and I mean that caringly)

• Like 1

Perhaps you should communicate your information to Reuters (and indeed every other news agency domestic and international)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/03/us-thailand-election-idUSTRE76013T20110703

Otherwise there is a danger you would be seen as just another demented old nutjob (and I mean that caringly)

Well Jayboy what point are you trying to make? I see nothing in the article that you linked that disputes anything billd766 wrote. Please explain as, "there is a danger you would be seen as just another demented old nutjob (and I mean that caringly)".

Speaking of demented old nutjobs this guy must be severely disillusioned, his job would have been relocated to Vietnam by now...........

"Yingluck has helped us and now Puea Thai can solve our problems and they'll solve the country's problems," said Saiksa Chankerd, a 40-year-old government worker." http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/03/us-thailand-election-idUSTRE76013T20110703

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the 2006 election:

After Thailand's April 2006 elections were declared invalid by the Constitutional Court, it was decided that new elections would be held on 15 October 2006. Due to delays in the nomination of a new election committee the election were likely to be moved to November, but then cancelled indefinitely after the military's overthrow of the Thai government.

• Like 1

First of all the previous government and the next government wasn't elected because you don't elect governments in Thailand. The MPs elect the the government, and did so for Abhisit and Yingluck in the same way.

The Abhisit government was not after the coup.

Coup-->Surayud government --> Samak government --> Somchai government -->Abhisit government-->Yingluck government.

• Like 1

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the 2006 election:

After Thailand's April 2006 elections were declared invalid by the Constitutional Court, it was decided that new elections would be held on 15 October 2006. Due to delays in the nomination of a new election committee the election were likely to be moved to November, but then cancelled indefinitely after the military's overthrow of the Thai government.

And? How does that change anything I said?