Chalerm not in charge of protests monitor: Deputy PM

webfact

Chalerm Not In Charge Of Protests Monitor: Deputy PM
By Khaosod Online

cha.jpg

Anti-government protesters at Ratchadamnoen Avenue, 20 November 2013

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok was forced today in Parliament to clarify that former Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung was not in charge of the governmental body that monitors the ongoing anti-government protests as claimed by Mr. Chalerm.

Mr. Chalerm, who currently serves as Minister of Labour, announced to the press earlier this week that he has been appointed by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to lead a ′war room′ he established at Ministry of Labour to monitor and manage the protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban at Ratchadamnoen Avenue.

The unilateral announcement surprised many observers, as the government had already appointed Pol.Gen. Pracha to head the official body that directs the authorities involved in public security during the period of the protests. But Mr. Chalerm insisted in the press conference that his work will not overlap or interfere with Pol.Gen. Pracha′s agency.

Curiously enough, Mr. Chalerm also claimed that the appointment was directed to him "verbally" by Ms. Yingluck, without any official document.

In the press conference Mr. Chalerm, went on to threaten a full police blockade around Mr. Suthep′s house, allegedly to intercept illegal arms shipments the protest leaders planned to unleash on the capital city, and claimed he received intelligence reports that the anti-government protesters have devised a plot to seize many important governmental buildings.

Mr. Chalerm′s threats have apparently alarmed Democrat MP Wachara Petchthong, who demanded during the parliamentary session that Pol.Gen. Pracha explain the authorities of Mr. Chalerm.

Replying to Mr. Wachara′s question, Deputy MP Pracha clarified that Mr. Chalerm was not tasked by the government to head any operation concerning the protests. "The government has delegated the responsibility to me only," Pol.Gen. Pracha said, "Mr. Chalerm was only involved by occasionally giving advice".

He stressed that the government respects the rights to assembly of the protesters, and contradicted Mr. Chalerm by declaring to Parliament that there is no known evidence of any protester smuggling firearms into the protest site.

"The government is well aware of its duty to protect the lives of the protest leaders and the protesters," Pol.Gen. Pracha told Parliament, "Because if anything happens, it would lead to uncontrollable escalation".

Pol.Gen. Pracha also addressed the rumour that three policemen had died on duty as they kept watch on the protesters, admitting that three police officers had indeed passed away during their posts, but the cause of deaths were personal illness and unrelated to the protests.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UQXlNek14TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-21

• Like 1

Pol.Gen. Pracha also addressed the rumour that three policemen had died on duty as they kept watch on the protesters, admitting that three police officers had indeed passed away during their posts, but the cause of deaths were personal illness and unrelated to the protests.

That is a very alarming statistic! What did they die of if it were 'personal illness', were they working together, from the same unit, is it contagious etc etc.

As to the OP if that is not a face slap in public to Chalerm then I don't know what is. Go home Chalerm, you have been used, abused and are now surplus to requirements....get used to it.

Maybe it's a pre-curser to unleashing biological agents to the protest sites. Some mysterious fatal illness that supposedly started with 3 police officers and spread to the crowd.

• Like 1

Here's an expression that is widely abused but perfectly in place here.

You couldn't make this stuff up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Facts are always far better than fiction, hence the saying"you couldn't make this up"

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Artisi

I am in kinks of laughter.

Who needs television when you have an ongoing comedy.

I want to email this story to CNN and the BBC.

Democrats preparing for a Syria style uprising. Wonder which side the Americans and British will be on.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten Yingluck's declaration that she wants to promote Thailand's style of democracy to the west.

That still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Syria style???? The Democrats are no religious fanatics. There are no weapons ---> That is ridiculous.

That is a very alarming statistic! What did they die of if it were 'personal illness', were they working together, from the same unit, is it contagious etc etc.

As to the OP if that is not a face slap in public to Chalerm then I don't know what is. Go home Chalerm, you have been used, abused and are now surplus to requirements....get used to it.

Go home Chalerm, you have been used, abused

I think he used and abused, completely opposite to the above comment!cheesy.gif

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

I am in kinks of laughter.

Who needs television when you have an ongoing comedy.

I want to email this story to CNN and the BBC.

Democrats preparing for a Syria style uprising. Wonder which side the Americans and British will be on.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten Yingluck's declaration that she wants to promote Thailand's style of democracy to the west.

That still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Syria style???? The Democrats are no religious fanatics. There are no weapons ---> That is ridiculous.

That was a joke.

But by the way, Syria is not a holy war, it is government forces versus rebel forces trying to overthrow Assad. So similar situation...political not religious.

Yes I know there are no weapons.... But ridiculous? The whole shabang is ridiculous, so nothing new there.

Edited by Thainy Tim

Earlier this afternoon, another violent incident occurred the barrier line of riot police facing the anti-government protesters on Makawan Bridge, which links Ratchadamnoen Avenue with the governmental district where Government House is located, when an unidentified type of explosive device was thrown at the police.

The bomb was caught in the barrier net, but its effect has wounded three police officers nearby.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683045-redshirt-protester-stabbed-as-he-leaves-rally/

I speculate that the above is one and the same as reported in the OP!

Maybe it's a pre-curser to unleashing biological agents to the protest sites. Some mysterious fatal illness that supposedly started with 3 police officers and spread to the crowd.

Thainess syndrome?

• Like 1

Thainess syndrome?

Lol.... Don't get me started. cheesy.gif

Thainess syndrome?

Lol.... Don't get me started. cheesy.gif

Could this be a fatal allergy / contamination from 100 bht banknotes.???

10CC

I'm not in charge, so don't forget it,

Its just a silly phase I'm going through.

And just because I called her up

Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it mate

I'm not in charge....Khun Pracha

It's because there's water on the brain

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dont retire him yet,he cheers me right up,,the wino,s a right star in my eyes,,w00t.gif ..anything from our red friends on this one yet..???/

Nope, even the red brigade is embarrassed by his antic, therefore they don't speak his name.

Earlier this afternoon, another violent incident occurred the barrier line of riot police facing the anti-government protesters on Makawan Bridge, which links Ratchadamnoen Avenue with the governmental district where Government House is located, when an unidentified type of explosive device was thrown at the police.

The bomb was caught in the barrier net, but its effect has wounded three police officers nearby.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683045-redshirt-protester-stabbed-as-he-leaves-rally/

I speculate that the above is one and the same as reported in the OP!

p

Actually, I know one of the policemen who died. He was from NongBuaLamPhu province in Isaan. He collapsed while standing in formation, died of a heart attack. Needless to say, his family is quite distraught.

I have no information on the other two officers.