How much money to live for 7 months?

whitethai

20k per month if you stay in a cheap room and stay away from the girls.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

WWWHHHAAATTT?????? YOUR JOKING RIGHT?

I agree it is low but perfectly doable if you like the sun, sea, swimming and reading books (plenty can be sourced cheaply) with basic food and few occasional coolies.

Quite frankly I would much prefer to live that lifestyle then sat in a freezing cold apartment in the cold of winter when you make the choice of eat or heat.....

I know which I would prefer every day of the week.

Makes sense; I believe a large number living in PTY are doing so on exactly the principle you've cited. I'm thinking of such a pensioner whom I once happened to meet.

But we do have a lot of landed gentry condescending to post here from their lush ancestral estates. I fear that, as Big Spenders, they've simply lost touch with the lower orders and their exigencies.

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7000 - 10000 room month and then min. 500bath per day on average. Just for quiet livimg if party and girls double it or 1000-1500

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Edited by mataleo

<without spending too much on girls, going out etc?>

So, what would be the point of living in Pattaya be then?

Better beach elsewhere,

less traffic elsewhere,

less crime elsewhere

etc etc.

Pattya is about the girls and going out.

Exactly.

Plenty of cheap nice places in Thailand to stay if you arent into the nightlife girls ect.

If you want some sort of life in Pattaya 100k a month would be a reasonable baseline.

The key is to remember that its all Disneyland except the money disappearing from your bank account - the girls are the only people I know who believe Farang can keep going to the ATM indefinitely :D

I'm not going to give you a number - you'll soon get into the habit of balancing big nights against your remaining weekly budget - but if your only options on the quieter nights are trawling Beach Road and watching Thai soaps, I think it will be a very long 7 months.

Good luck.

280,000 baht

Do you take care of a lot of sick buffalos giggle.gif

It's 40k/month... Most ppl I know spend that on a fun weekend in PTA smile.png

But sure, some ppl bring doggy bags to Apex, some tip the girls they grope with lollipops, some share their girl's 3,000 baht/month room, some only drink beer at 7-11 or draft beer at happy hour - and make sure each beer last 2 hours, some convince themselves it is out of principle they never buy lady drinks and some even find various ways to get their girl to pay for them. I guess 40k will cut it then biggrin.png

i meet so many people like you who talk rich and there are certainly lots on thaivisa...tedious lot mostly....mostly aren't rich, just talk big...i know the difference, i know quite a few seriously rich people...but none that i know use that as a weapon to beat over other peoples heads....i wouldn't tolerate them as friends if they did.

if you feel you need to spend lots of money to find happiness and validation then you must be a sad and lonely man.

for people that just want a nice life, 40k a month is about enough, just do the sums if you can. i've spoken to many who live happily and well on even less...and not by taking doggie bags to the apex etc etc...or tipping in lollipos and they spend 10k or so on their rooms not 3k, and the rooms aren't shared and they don't drink outside the 7-11 etc etc....but equally they aren't alcoholics and don't need the constant companionship of bar girls and many are intelligent, interesting and pleasant people...

by the way, you sound like a real bore...

for people that just want a nice life, 40k a month is about enough, just do the sums if you can.

I am not being funny here, but what do these people actually do every day?

For myself, 20k per month just on sports/hobbies, how many rounds of golf do the people you refer to play every month?

Groundhog day, do these people ever go anywhere, New Year, Songkran, Loy Kratong?

A cheap weekend for the mrs and myself is 10k in Pattaya or elsewhere.

Thats me at 30k per month, and not paying for a woman.

Hardly what I would call a playboy lifestyle.

Yes I know its possible to survive in Pattaya on less than 10k per month.

Jok at 25 baht for breakfast, sticky rice and a couple of moo yang for 25 baht, and in the evening khao man kai at 40 baht.

Lets move up to living, yes on your own its possible to do it on 40k per month, but you wont be having too many nights in Soi BK never mind WS or having too many ladies.

The OP is coming as a tourist and looking for an "awesome" time, he is basically a 2 week millionaire, he aint retiring here.

The OP is coming as a tourist and looking for an "awesome" time, he is basically a 2 week millionaire, he aint retiring here.

Agreed, but that's precisely why I made the comment about not trying to hand the guy a number. It wont take him long to realise that neither his wallet nor his body will stand up to night-after-night in 2-week millionaire mode over 7 months. That said, I think a realistic figure is closer to Tolley's 100K per month than the rather frugal 40K mentioned earlier. Take out the cost of the room, laundry and the odd visit to Central World and you're left with an entertainment budget of 15-18K per week : doesn't take much to put a serious dent in that over 7 days.

For many retirees, I guess the prospect of being able to average 2-2.5K a day in the bars might seem like a dream come true, but many (Farang) tourists happily blaze through 6-8K and up on a 2-week stay - a guy on another forum complained recently that he cant have night out in BKK any more for less than 12-15K baht, making Patts a relative bargain. I still think his numbers are OTT, but he seems to be the kind of guy who sees nothing wrong with a 1500 baht barfine and the ridiculous drink prices in Nana/Cowboy go-gos .....

I would also caution against settling for an excessively cheap room - the last thing you want to be doing in Pattaya is feeling that you need to 'escape' your own room : that will only cost you more money. Nothing worse than trying to recover from a hangover in the kind of place where the owner clearly expects everyone to spend their days someplace else, and the walls are so thin you can hear his wife nagging him for hours on end. One weekend of that and you'll swear never again. I made the same mistake on a visa run to Penang a few years back and now I just accept that there is a point where saving a few baht/Ringgit is a false economy. That room will be your sanctuary from the blazing sun, endless traffic and the tourist horde - value it accordingly.

OP, I would be very surprised if your own figure each month lines up precisely with anything here - half of us appear to be celibate teetotallers and the other half playboy billionaires - but I'm confident that you will find your own 'level' and opt for a couple of quiet nights to offset the madness of the night before. As 'problems' go, yours is one problem that many of us would be happy to have :D

Been to most parts of LOS but never Pattaya plan to spend a few days there my next trip in February. it is much different than hanging out at Nana plaza ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For the sake of 'a few days', I would just go to Bangkok - more options beyond the neon. In nightlife terms, Pattaya is definitely cheaper - whether the venues - or their staff - are of comparable standard is for you to decide, but I've never been into a go-go anywhere that made me count the hours till I could go back. Happy Hour prices in the beer bars - and some have a 'non-stop happy hour' - make Nana/Cowboy prices seem exorbitant by comparison. I find Patts can be a good break from BKK and vice-versa.

(Central Patts by day can be an ordeal - no Seacon Square/Fortune IT Mall and tourists everywhere. I love the place, but many loathe it. As always, 'up to you!')

• Like 1

"Without spending too much on girls and going out" Do what you did last time but add 30% as you're not going to be affected by the learning curve. 300K is good which includes contingency but again I don't know your tastes.

Personally, when I lived in BKK in 2011, 30K was not a problem as I cooked my own meals, bought beer at supply shops and used buses. Sometimes it was less than that. I know some will not agree with this, thinking it's poverty but to each their own as after accom and miscel expenses you should have quite a bit left over.

Instead of paying 120 to 150 baht for drinks, find supply shops where you can get your own alcohol or buy a bottle and share it with friends (350+ baht). There are also sites out there where you can date or ?? for free!

I say this because I'm surprised to hear the amounts ppl spend on alcohol and women, it's staggering.

Agreed, but that's precisely why I made the comment about not trying to hand the guy a number. It wont take him long to realise that neither his wallet nor his body will stand up to night-after-night in 2-week millionaire mode over 7 months. That said, I think a realistic figure is closer to Tolley's 100K per month than the rather frugal 40K mentioned earlier. Take out the cost of the room, laundry and the odd visit to Central World and you're left with an entertainment budget of 15-18K per week : doesn't take much to put a serious dent in that over 7 days.

For many retirees, I guess the prospect of being able to average 2-2.5K a day in the bars might seem like a dream come true, but many (Farang) tourists happily blaze through 6-8K and up on a 2-week stay - a guy on another forum complained recently that he cant have night out in BKK any more for less than 12-15K baht, making Patts a relative bargain. I still think his numbers are OTT, but he seems to be the kind of guy who sees nothing wrong with a 1500 baht barfine and the ridiculous drink prices in Nana/Cowboy go-gos .....

I would also caution against settling for an excessively cheap room - the last thing you want to be doing in Pattaya is feeling that you need to 'escape' your own room : that will only cost you more money. Nothing worse than trying to recover from a hangover in the kind of place where the owner clearly expects everyone to spend their days someplace else, and the walls are so thin you can hear his wife nagging him for hours on end. One weekend of that and you'll swear never again. I made the same mistake on a visa run to Penang a few years back and now I just accept that there is a point where saving a few baht/Ringgit is a false economy. That room will be your sanctuary from the blazing sun, endless traffic and the tourist horde - value it accordingly.

OP, I would be very surprised if your own figure each month lines up precisely with anything here - half of us appear to be celibate teetotallers and the other half playboy billionaires - but I'm confident that you will find your own 'level' and opt for a couple of quiet nights to offset the madness of the night before. As 'problems' go, yours is one problem that many of us would be happy to have biggrin.png

i cant decide whether some of you posters just didn't read what the OP said, or you simply can't comprehend of anything else than an alcoholic, whore mongering existence...

The OP said he would stay for 7 months and just wants a room and money for a nice life...i have spoken to lots of expats who spend 7-10k on good rooms, just nearer central pattaya than beach road where the tourist rip offs are (just like you can spend 200 baht on Kow Pat Gai or 40 baht in a non-ripoff place...for exactly the same thing). These people are perfectly happy with their rooms, which are a cut above the lowest levels of 3k or so but far below the nonsense prices quoted on various websites by real estate agents. All that is needed is to walk around and pop into the various condos and apartment blocks, of which there are hundreds. As for thin walls etc, all Thai building are basically the same, it makes no difference whether the OP was to spend 40k a month in VT on beach road or a VT elsewhere at 10k a month or some other apartment block....same method of construction and the cheaper rooms are likely to be used by long stay expats rather than 2 week millionaires, russians, arabs etc who can be a real a annoyance.

40k is enough for a decent room, decent food, hanging around some cafes/bars in the day for coffee/soft drinks, a few beers a couple of times a week and a little XXX every week or so...assuming the guy doesn't drink in the tourist rip off bars on WS etc and isn't an alcoholic...and assuming that figure excludes additional trips outside pattaya, the cost of iphones/laptops etc and major healthcare costs...

the key, by the way, is to have other expats to talk to and hang around with, that is where life is less boring...what is boring in my view is to know nobody and just have the bar girls for company....thats why i think the idiots that say you need 5k a night for drink and XXX are just sad and lonely posers, they have nothing but the pretence of being rich and nobody to really talk to...even if they are surrounded by other expats spending tons...because then they are just surrounded by bar girls and other posers...and getting drunk every night kills the health...adding ill health to their sad and meaningless existences where they lose face if they don't appear rich...what a nightmare...

• Like 1

OP, I would be very surprised if your own figure each month lines up precisely with anything here - half of us appear to be celibate teetotallers and the other half playboy billionaires - but I'm confident that you will find your own 'level' and opt for a couple of quiet nights to offset the madness of the night before. As 'problems' go, yours is one problem that many of us would be happy to have biggrin.png

i cant decide whether some of you posters just didn't read what the OP said, or you simply can't comprehend of anything else than an alcoholic, whore mongering existence...

The OP said he would stay for 7 months and just wants a room and money for a nice life...i have spoken to lots of expats who spend 7-10k on good rooms, just nearer central pattaya than beach road where the tourist rip offs are (just like you can spend 200 baht on Kow Pat Gai or 40 baht in a non-ripoff place...for exactly the same thing). These people are perfectly happy with their rooms, which are a cut above the lowest levels of 3k or so but far below the nonsense prices quoted on various websites by real estate agents. All that is needed is to walk around and pop into the various condos and apartment blocks, of which there are hundreds. As for thin walls etc, all Thai building are basically the same, it makes no difference whether the OP was to spend 40k a month in VT on beach road or a VT elsewhere at 10k a month or some other apartment block....same method of construction and the cheaper rooms are likely to be used by long stay expats rather than 2 week millionaires, russians, arabs etc who can be a real a annoyance.

40k is enough for a decent room, decent food, hanging around some cafes/bars in the day for coffee/soft drinks, a few beers a couple of times a week and a little XXX every week or so...assuming the guy doesn't drink in the tourist rip off bars on WS etc and isn't an alcoholic...and assuming that figure excludes additional trips outside pattaya, the cost of iphones/laptops etc and major healthcare costs...

the key, by the way, is to have other expats to talk to and hang around with, that is where life is less boring...what is boring in my view is to know nobody and just have the bar girls for company....thats why i think the idiots that say you need 5k a night for drink and XXX are just sad and lonely posers, they have nothing but the pretence of being rich and nobody to really talk to...even if they are surrounded by other expats spending tons...because then they are just surrounded by bar girls and other posers...and getting drunk every night kills the health...adding ill health to their sad and meaningless existences where they lose face if they don't appear rich...what a nightmare...

I did read the OP, and my point that I made earlier, is that there are far better places to live in Thailand if not wanting the girls and nightlife. Even Jomptien would be better than Pattaya if just wanting a nice quiet life.

"I did read the OP, and my point that I made earlier, is that there are far better places to live in Thailand if not wanting the girls and nightlife. Even Jomptien would be better than Pattaya if just wanting a nice quiet life.

"
Jomtien...very boring place in my opinion...OP likes Pattaya, thats why he said Pattaya

@paddyjenkins, I'm hoping you can advise this poor fellow:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683667-unpaid-debt-recovery-help/

Seems he befriended one of those Farang you mention - thus far, he's down 500K baht and he may end up spending more if he decides to pursue legal action or use a debt collector. The OP is free to spend whatever amount he wishes - yours is the first post in this thread to start judging people based purely on how much they elect to spend on holiday. Way to go.

Seems he befriended one of those Farang you mention - thus far, he's down 500K baht and he may end up spending more if he decides to pursue legal action or use a debt collector. The OP is free to spend whatever amount he wishes - yours is the first post in this thread to start judging people based purely on how much they elect to spend on holiday. Way to go.

Are you on meds? You seem to be in some kind of brain fog.

What are you going on about, what is the connection between this man and this thread, what do you mean by he met one of "those farang"?

As for the rest of what you said, similarly senseless.

If money is a factor there are many ways to keep costs down....

1. Get yourself a scooter, don't know what the cost is these days, couple of hundred baht ? anyway shop around and agree to something longterm once you get a good deal. This is the only way to explore Pattaya/ Jomtien properly and also nice way to pass the time.

2.Rent an apartment, should be able to get a 6 month contract for about 4-5000 baht/month all in, probably need to buy yourself TV/ electric stove/ bed clothes etc at Big C but this should be covered with the savings you make verses hotel/condo..Look around on said scooter.

3. Avoid walking street or else do your drinking before your get there...especially in the clubs...guzzle a can of Leo from the 7/11 as you do the rounds.... Soi bo khow is good alternative

5. As in life, women is prob going to be the biggest factor in your budget......even if you end up with a long term GF ( remember Farangs on a longterm budget are not the most popular choice for the average Pattaya lady rolleyes.gif ).. you are doubling your outgoings straight-away with drinks/food plus you will be asked to chip to any family emergency's that may pop up.... . best to arrange a call-out service for a fixed fee... for a massage or whateverwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Are you on meds? You seem to be in some kind of brain fog.

What are you going on about, what is the connection between this man and this thread, what do you mean by he met one of "those farang"?

As for the rest of what you said, similarly senseless.

Mate, I'm going to try to avoid posting entire slabs of text in reply, but I expect that you will want to go on with it anyway.

1. The farang I refer to are the 'other expats' from your earlier rant, despite the fact that the OP is only a weekend warrior like myself:

-------------------------------------------------------------

@paddyjenkins said:

--------------------------------------------------------------

2. You remain the only poster in this thread to make a value judgement on the kind of people who hang out in central Pattaya, yet seem very keen to pump yourself up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@paddyjenkins said:

i meet so many people like you who talk rich and there are certainly lots on thaivisa...tedious lot mostly....mostly aren't rich, just talk big...i know the difference, i know quite a few seriously rich people...but none that i know use that as a weapon to beat over other peoples heads....i wouldn't tolerate them as friends if they did. if you feel you need to spend lots of money to find happiness and validation then you must be a sad and lonely man

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there really any point continuing to slam those of us who offered a different number to yours as 'sad and loney posers', 'idiots' and 'alcoholic mongers' ? Does that change anything for the OP or add to the collective knowledge base on this board ? For someone who is living the dream, and on a budget to boot, you seem very angry, particularly when I dont recall anyone here referring to you as an 'idiot'.
You and I can do this all night, but we've both had our say. I'm prepared to leave it there - back to you.
  • Like 1

PJ, we get it - you're a hansum man who doesn't pay for sex or alcohol - more power to you, but any chance you could lay off the rest of us ? We might be 'alcoholic monger posers' and 'ugly mofos', but we are all entitled to an opinion. The OP didnt ask for a moralistic, holier-than-thou assessment of 2-week millionaires, he asked for ballpark figures - you've chosen to wrap your figure in scorn and hurl it at us, seemingly because you interpret this differently to many of us:

However today I wondered how much money it would cost for a room and living for 7 months in Pattaya without spending too much on girls, going out etc?

If the moral minority on this board are right, Pattaya is changing, but as of right now, there are thousands of men anywhere between 18 and 80 happily paying for sex and alcohol in Disneyland, and I'm betting they couldn't give a flying fig about anything on this forum. If the OP elects to stay out of the bars, fine, but it's a reasonable assumption that he didn't choose Pattaya because he likes an ocean view. Ultimately, there is only one person who can answer that.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 2

How long is a piece of string. I am sure what I spend weekly would make a balloon chaser cry if he spent over 6 months..... You gets what you pays for.

How long is a piece of string? Easy, twice the distance from the middle to either end.

OP, depends on your lifestyle. Make sure your visa arrangements are in order.

Bpuumike hit on a very important point - its my understanding that we can no longer rely on back-to-back Tourist visas on an extended stay ? I did it in 2008 and again in 2010 - alas, those days may be gone - courtesy of folk who were working on TVs. Always happy to hear from those with more recent experience.

PJ, we get it - you're a hansum man who doesn't pay for sex or alcohol - more power to you, but any chance you could lay off the rest of us ? We might be 'alcoholic monger posers' and 'ugly mofos', but we are all entitled to an opinion. The OP didnt ask for a moralistic, holier-than-thou assessment of 2-week millionaires, he asked for ballpark figures - you've chosen to wrap your figure in scorn and hurl it at us, seemingly because you interpret this differently to many of us:

However today I wondered how much money it would cost for a room and living for 7 months in Pattaya without spending too much on girls, going out etc?

If the moral minority on this board are right, Pattaya is changing, but as of right now, there are thousands of men anywhere between 18 and 80 happily paying for sex and alcohol in Disneyland, and I'm betting they couldn't give a flying fig about anything on this forum. If the OP elects to stay out of the bars, fine, but it's a reasonable assumption that he didn't choose Pattaya because he likes an ocean view. Ultimately, there is only one person who can answer that.

Now we are getting to the crux of the matter, yes 40k per month is plenty to live on per month, with the following provisos, you have no woman in your life, you have no hobbies or pastimes and you never go anywhere.

Meanwhile back in the real world the FIFO guys that are coming to raise merry hell and have a good time are burning through money like there is no tomorrow, for the simple reason they can afford it.

They aint Billy No Mates sados, their mates are with them as they whoop it up, seems our resident pensioners stuck with their fixed income pensions are somewhat jealous, and resent not being able to live an alternative lifestyle.

Bit like taking a kid to a candy store then telling him he cant have any.

• Like 1

Now we are getting to the crux of the matter, yes 40k per month is plenty to live on per month, with the following provisos, you have no woman in your life, you have no hobbies or pastimes and you never go anywhere.

It seems other forum members have disagreed with that assessment.

Meanwhile back in the real world the FIFO guys that are coming to raise merry hell and have a good time are burning through money like there is no tomorrow, for the simple reason they can afford it.

They aint Billy No Mates sados, their mates are with them as they whoop it up, seems our resident pensioners stuck with their fixed income pensions are somewhat jealous, and resent not being able to live an alternative lifestyle.

Bit like taking a kid to a candy store then telling him he cant have any.

Not really. True, the forum has both financial snobs and envious poor among its posters. But the vast majority don't care one way or the other about someone else's budget--as is only reasonable. The OP's question was "how long is a piece of string," so answers will be all over the map.

I don't believe most resident pensioners are in the least "jealous." Living in a candy store is totally different than merely visiting one after a long absence; everyone knows that. No resident keeps up the "party till you drop" mentality for long--and almost everyone's been there. Talk's one thing; doing it, quite another. Most hardcore partyers here eventually settle down, or they become drunks and on their way out, get in trouble, and run out of funds. The "settling down" is by far the wisest course for one's health and long-term satisfaction.

Given the choice, most of the two-week millionaires on holiday would likely much prefer to be retired--early, if they could manage their money properly--and living permanently here even if on a small budget. The Brit pensioner I knew felt just this way. He faced the choice: he could work and freeze in Surrey to supplement his meager pension--and holiday here whenever he could; or, he could just live here full-time on what he had. He chose the latter, and he was most happy with that decision right up until the day he died. He did enjoy himself. Cool guy, he was. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Good post, JSixpack, and I definitely dont want to get into a 'weekend warrior vs retirees' brawl. I think this thread would have gone a whole lot more smoothly if we limited our responses to the basics : food and accommodation. The 'piece of string' is always going to come down to discretionary spending - everything from shopping to nightlife - but most people need food and shelter.