Thailand without stimulants ?

MrWorldwide

I know an expat based in Thailand who doesn't drink, smoke or frequent nightlife precincts - I don't think he even drinks coffee. Nothing except the sweet elixir of Bangkok traffic each morning and his wife's cooking at night.

I've done it for 3 or 4 days after a particularly heinous night mixing beer with Mehkong, but 365 days a year ? Seriously hardcore.

Anyone else ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither do I. whats the big deal? not everyone needs intoxicants to get through life. why do you?

Unlike simon43, you've chosen to throw stones - what happened to the 'live and let live' ethos most of us associate with Thailand ? I'm happy to defend your right not to partake of so much as a morning coffee, yet you seem keen to dump on me for needing 'intoxicants' - last time I checked neither nicotine nor caffeine was an intoxicant

I dont smoke and I've had precisely one beer in the last 21 months. Coffee, however - well that's a very different story, and I know I'll enjoy a beer when I get back to Asia. I just couldnt get through a day in Bangkok without a coffee - I guess that means I'm going straight to hell.

My day is completely full of enjoyable activities, but I certainly don't condemn others if that's what they want to do. It's human nature to be greedy, selfish and lazy smile.png

Simon

I stand corrected - you did feel the need to throw stones. Must be tough living with mere mortals.

• Like 1

neither do I. whats the big deal? not everyone needs intoxicants to get through life. why do you?

Unlike simon43, you've chosen to throw stones - what happened to the 'live and let live' ethos most of us associate with Thailand ? I'm happy to defend your right not to partake of so much as a morning coffee, yet you seem keen to dump on me for needing 'intoxicants' - last time I checked neither nicotine nor caffeine was an intoxicant

I dont smoke and I've had precisely one beer in the last 21 months. Coffee, however - well that's a very different story, and I know I'll enjoy a beer when I get back to Asia. I just couldnt get through a day in Bangkok without a coffee - I guess that means I'm going straight to hell.

your words: I've done it for 3 or 4 days after a particularly heinous night mixing beer with Mehkong, but 365 days a year ? make up your mind.

Did someone say stimulants?

Un.jpg

I have to pull you up on this. You've missed focus on the subjects face. When taking portrait photos you must establish crisp focus on the subjects eyes.

Anyway.

I don't drink at all. I don't go out anywhere. All I do is the bloody housework.

• Like 2

Ayjaydee, I dont get where the defensiveness is coming from - I asked a question, and I dont view it as a loaded question, and you've come back with words to the effect that you see people who cant live their lives without the usual vices as having something 'wrong' with them. I was looking for your perspective, not a judgemental mofo eager to take a shot at me for having the audacity to enjoy a drink.

Classic TV - someone posts an innocent query and keyboard warriors go on the attack. This is, by far, the most aggressive forum I've ever encountered (outside of the crap posted on sites like Youtube). You're supposed be living the dream - whats with the aggro ?

• Like 2

Ayjaydee, I dont get where the defensiveness is coming from - I asked a question, and I dont view it as a loaded question, and you've come back with words to the effect that you see people who cant live their lives without the usual vices as having something 'wrong' with them. I was looking for your perspective, not a judgemental mofo eager to take a shot at me for having the audacity to enjoy a drink.

Classic TV - someone posts an innocent query and keyboard warriors go on the attack. This is, by far, the most aggressive forum I've ever encountered (outside of the crap posted on sites like Youtube). You're supposed be living the dream - whats with the aggro ?

you made a statement. you claimed that could only quit ONCE for a short time because of a heavy duty experience with beer and mekhong.: I've done it for 3 or 4 days after a particularly heinous night mixing beer with Mehkong, but 365 days a year ? Seriously hardcore.

Anyone else ?

you then stated that someone that doesnt use is seriously hardcore. there is absolutely NOTHING hardcore about enjoying thailand without the aid of intoxicants.

you then stated that someone that doesnt use is seriously hardcore. there is absolutely NOTHING hardcore about enjoying thailand without the aid of intoxicants.

I disagree - you're a hardcore Puritan - that's your right, and I will definitely envy you the next time I have a hangover. Till then, I suggest we agree to disagree on what is and what is not 'hardcore' : we are working from very different points of view.

• Like 1

you made a statement. you claimed that could only quit ONCE for a short time because of a heavy duty experience with beer and mekhong.: I've done it for 3 or 4 days after a particularly heinous night mixing beer with Mehkong, but 365 days a year ? Seriously hardcore.

Anyone else ?

Perhaps you don't understand, hardcore can mean totally committed, as one might say, I am a hardcore surfer, or I dig that Buddha dude but I'm not a hardcore Buddhist. I know you an egocentric contrarian by nature so I do look forward to your contributions to these topics.

• Like 2

Anyone else ?

Perhaps you don't understand, hardcore can mean totally committed, as one might say, I am a hardcore surfer, or I dig that Buddha dude but I'm not a hardcore Buddhist. I know you an egocentric contrarian by nature so I do look forward to your contributions to these topics.

i understand it very well and as I said there is nothing hardcore about not using intoxicants.

I understand, hardcore sobriety is a bitch. biggrin.png

only for those who find they need intoxicants.

Ah ha so for you HARDCORE sobriety is not a bitch? ...just messin' wjth you because you seem to take things so seriously.

Edited by daoyai

I understand, hardcore sobriety is a bitch. biggrin.png

only for those who find they need intoxicants.

Ah ha so for you HARDCORE sobriety is not a bitch? ...just messin' wjth you because you seem to take things so seriously.

somethings? yep. second rate messing? nope

Well when you post on Thai Visa you are giving others the rite to jump on what you say. This is not a lets all make each other feel good forum.

You are right Nicotine and coffee are not intoxicants. But they can sure change your mood. Try giving them up and see if you stay the same.

Well when you post on Thai Visa you are giving others the rite to jump on what you say. This is not a lets all make each other feel good forum.

You are right Nicotine and coffee are not intoxicants. But they can sure change your mood. Try giving them up and see if you stay the same.

Wrong, nicotine and caffine are intoxicants, mean substances that are psycoactive and are toxic at certain levels..... carry oncoffee1.gif

I disagree - you're a hardcore Puritan - that's your right, and I will definitely envy you the next time I have a hangover. Till then, I suggest we agree to disagree on what is and what is not 'hardcore' : we are working from very different points of view.

puritan? lol. you have absolutely no idea of the meaning of the word.