Thailand without stimulants ?

MrWorldwide

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say a good way to recognise an alcoholic is when they say they can't imagine how life could exist without it.

Don't think so. I just went two months without alcohol. While outside of Thailand. So I can imagine life without alcohol quite easily. I Just can't imagine life without Thailand, and without Thai nightlife specifically, which as a side-effect tends to involve some alcohol.

But I was happy to find out I have zero desire for the stuff when not in a (Thai) nightlife setting. I already suspected that, because I don't drink at home, but sometimes feared that my addicton could be to alcohol instead of to bars. I was happy to find out it's the bars, not the alcohol. Of course, I don't enjoy bars as much without alcohol so there is definitely a link, but at least alcohol is not a factor in going to bars for me. (am I still making sense? (did I ever?) wink.png )

It's called dependance - you can't go to a bar without alcohol....therefore you feel you can't function in that situation without it. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and you briefly "overcome" you hangups, and allows you to do/say things that you normally would keep in check. Of course it also lowers other inhibitions, such as anger etc and can get you into trouble you would otherwise have avoided.

In these 2 sentences the word you or your is used 10 times, perhaps it should be edited to replace you with I as you are projecting onto a person that presumably you do not know.

At certain points I'm using "you" in the third person - perhaps is not very good English - I should maybe have used "one" or "people" - however I think you get the point.

After being at sea for weeks having a few cold beers is nice. While in Thailand I usually have a beer while dinner is cooking and sometimes the G/F joins me for a couple of Leos. Everything in moderation on a daily routine and over indulgence at parties - Sometimes its fun to cut loose with friends.

• Like 1

About ten years ago I went totally straight for a whole year. No alcohol, tobacco, weed, MDMA or anything else. Then in one hideous move, I got blind drunk at one of those little Yaa Dong stalls. This made me realize I don't know the middle ground, being an all or nothing person. Since then it's moderation in all things (with the occasional slip). Alcohol has a lot to answer for what with the social damage it can cause, but I think we all (barring a few) like a little something now and again to brighten up our day!

Surely, like all else in life, there is the middle road!

Not everyone who likes a glass of wine is an alcoholic. Not everyone who likes the occassional toke, or the occassional sniff of Charlie, is a drug addict.

Can I envisage life here in Thailand, or elsewhere, without the occassional binge? No - and why should I?

The total abstaners are the ones who have a real problem in my opinion - and as is clearly shown in this thread. The sad keyboard warriors, who have nothing else to fill their sad little lives, but to criticise others and [try] to convince everyone, but mainly themselves, what wonderful and upright people they are.

Sad sad sad

you cant envisage life in thailand without binging on an intoxicant? now thats sad, sad, sad

Totally misquoted! But then what to expect from sad little men?

misquoted!!?? lol. "Can I envisage life here in Thailand, or elsewhere, without the occassional binge? No - and why should I?" sorry to hear about your short term memory problems son

Misquoted as in you deliberately changed the context of my statement - but I really don't know why I'm responding to you. As someone else said 'arguing with a fool only proves there are two'

Thailand without drunks, druggies, perverts and the cancer sticks would just make it a more enjoyable place to live.

Would that not apply to any country?

You guys have got to be kidding right? Can you imagine what other laws would have to also be in place for those ones to actually work? Try reading 1984. Or why not go the whole hog and join your brothers in campaigning for Sharia law to be introduced worldwide

• Like 1

FarangKino, I think you'll find that even under Sharia law smoking isnt banned - not sure how many Muslim men you've encountered, but they cant seem to get enough of the dreaded weed IME - where do you think the Shishkah pipes came from ? TV wowsers might be happier in a town like Salt Lake City - they definitely wont find their Utopia in Jakarta or Surabaya.

FarangKino, I think you'll find that even under Sharia law smoking isnt banned - not sure how many Muslim men you've encountered, but they cant seem to get enough of the dreaded weed IME - where do you think the Shishkah pipes came from ? TV wowsers might be happier in a town like Salt Lake City - they definitely wont find their Utopia in Jakarta or Surabaya.

It was a generalisation Pitbull, as I'm sure [hope] you realised. The apparent mentality of the abstainers on here, with their holier than thou attitudes, seems the same as the poor brainwashed cretins who want Sharia law implemented worldwide. Let's chop off a few hands; stone a few women; behead the unbelievers and blasphemers. And they are so far up their own <deleted> that any reasoned argument or discussion you wish to enter into with them, results in one of the 8 deadly sins [the eight-fold path of TV-humiliation] lol

I think a lot of the expats I see really don't know how to retire gracefully - they have spent most of their lives working hard and in between drinking hard.

Then they come to Thailand - most don't work or don't work so hard....what do they do with all that free time? they drink.

Well I think they should think about this. When you are in your twenties and you get a few inside you with your mates and the behaviour becomes ribald.....it's a laugh, fun and forgivable.

However there is nothing sadder than a drunk 50, 60 or 70 year old.....not having fun, clearly the worse for wear and moaning on about some trivial point, slurring his words and repeating himself over and over.....the same anecdotes every night, the same stupid jokes and the same Thai "wisdom".

The cure - don't drink for one night and go out with your friends - halfway through the evening they all turn into idiots....why didn't you notice that before? Because YOU were one of them@

Misquoted as in you deliberately changed the context of my statement - but I really don't know why I'm responding to you. As someone else said 'arguing with a fool only proves there are two'

context!!?? hahahaahahahaha . changed the context of "NO and why should I"!! hahAhhahaahahaha

context!!?? hahahaahahahaha . changed the context of "NO and why should I"!! hahAhhahaahahaha

Anyone understand this post?

Anyone understand this post?

just those that matter