Thailand's Armed Forces call for national unity before it is too late

webfact

The military is to blame for waiting for Thaksin to leave the country before pulling off the 2006 coup. They could have had him banged up without bail and then sentenced to several consecutive prison terms, if he didn't get so overcome with remorse that he mysteriously hanged himself in his prison cell.

Since they have never done that before, seems like you are dreaming a bit arkady, or need to grab a history book. biggrin.png

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon army, get on with it then! The tension'll keep mounting and Pheua thai will put the country further down the tubes until the army inevitably have to shut down Pheua Thai- better now than later, before things turn violent, and finally put an end to all this Shinawatra nepotism and graft once and for all.

That's assuming the Army will back the "good guys". What if they back the red shirts? Impossible?? Who knows what deals have been done?

"Your" good guys and not other people's good guys.

Why would they back someone like Suthep who brought back the same chaos as the 2006 chaos started by the yellows? This guy is doing a lot of "bad" for the country.

Millions think he should be.... stopped.

Hopefully the army has a very good relationship with the government.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given that you are his father I doubt he would understand the lecture anyway. And what part of my statement is it that you claim to be untrue? Easy just to make a smarmy, abusive comment, avoid the debate, & continue unabated with one's agenda isn't it Dad!

You say

No, he got it wrong. ANUPONG formed a government in 2008 featuring the Dems & their coalition members with army guns stuck up their backsides.

A real piece of imaginary day dreaming. Of course they would not understand it.

What you don't seem to understand is kid's go to school to learn. Not to hear flights of fantasy.

Also lecturing is not how you are supposed to teach. That is part of the problem with you wannabe teachers you think you have taught them some thing by lecturing. Of course you have not taught them one little bit of how to reason and use logic. You are just perpetuating the system that has kept them from being creative through the use of their mind. Not from some rambling lecture that is based on the lack of knowledge of the person giving it.

You been away a while been on holiday?

OK, some teaching. When trying to debate please address the topic and attempt to make some valid points. You haven't addressed my statement or made any valid points relating to the topic. pedagogy.

Well let us see you talk about addressing the topic.

The topic is not pedagogy That is a piece of crap you have brought in to divert the attention of your piece of nonsense.

You claimed using the name of a teacher

"No, he got it wrong. ANUPONG formed a government in 2008 featuring the Dems & their coalition members with army guns stuck up their backsides."

Perhaps you could give us an idea who ANUPONG is it would make the discussion easier. I checked a dictionary no such word in it.

my response to it was

A real piece of imaginary day dreaming. Followed by a statement that I would most assuredly if I had a kid in that school get him out of there.

What I did not say was you remind me of a teacher back in Canada who was teaching the Holocaust did not really happen.

Your response was

Given that you are his father I doubt he would understand the lecture anyway. And what part of my statement is it that you claim to be untrue? Easy just to make a smarmy, abusive comment, avoid the debate, & continue unabated with one's agenda isn't it Dad!

Now as I see it I responded to your belief of the army and what I would do if a school had a teacher teaching such drival about the army. You replied with a personal attack. The truth be known I don't believe you believe your own nonsense about the army.

He said Thai people love their monarch, love the country and religion and therefore should come together to build the country before it was too late.

He forgot to add money into this statement.

'before it's too late'

What does that mean? Bullies in red shirts burning the streets down again?? Or maybe bullies in red shirts backed up by the army this time???

I would hate this to be a muted threat to the democrat/anti-PTP protesters, one can never really be sure here. 

I doubt the Thais love their "religion " with their thieving parasites of monks. As to money, that is the true uniting factor of Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In any other civilised functioning democracy a government with this record of scandals and performance would have stepped down long ago, they continue to lie and bungle their way forward refusing to believe they've done anything wrong, I challenge anyone to name one thing they have done right in the last 2 years - the recent allegation of paying off attendies at a water management meeting with 800baht for their support should be enough to tear down any government in any other country but it goes un-investigated and unnoticed <deleted> is that all about

People wonder why there are so many coups in this country - I would tend to replace the word "coup" with "sensible intervention" when there are no other means and a scandal rotten administration blindly continues on and refuses to step down

This charade cannot be allowed to continue and unfortunately I see no other way to bring it to an end except some "sensible intervention" the sooner the better

• Like 2

The military does not understand the concept of diversity or difference of political views.

I think that is unfair. In a democracy, the military is pretty much bound to be apolitical. They care about their oath of allegiance to the people of the country (remembering that treason is an act against the nation - that being the people thereof - and not just the government or head of state). Preventing chaos, dictatorship, and anything else that threatens the nation is pretty much their remit - regardless of political colour.

Now if they stepped in and stopped free elections, then your point would be well made - they have not. Indeed, one could say that in 2006 it was just for the opposite reasons they mobilised then (although not as simplistic as that).

I think this statement went all wong the moment you started with "In a democracy". The Thai army is there to manipulate the democracy to the direction that it is decreed that the country should be going, and to feather it's own nest. Sometimes, Thailand needs to be pushed to free markets and reform, sometimes Thailand needs to be protective and scared of the world, sometimes Thailand needs to further it's own position in the region in the eyes of those that can tell the army what to do.

The moment that the politicians get out of whack with the way these people think the country should be going, or the politicians do not feed the army enough wonga, they get all uppity and start to machinate in the background. If the politicians ignore the army for long enough because they are too obsessed with making their own money, instead of making sure that the army and the really big people who control the army get their fair share, then the army comes out with a big stick to put the politicians back in line.

Now, in this context i am not meaning only one man, I am meaning a group of old monied extremely wealthy people who believe they have an absolute right to be protected from the vagaries of international business, and markets, and that Thailand must extend them protection from the evil nature of international business. This could be banks, it could be agribusiness, it could be oil companies, it could be land owners, it could be construction. From time to time, if a consensus is reached to believe that the buggars in government aren't really delivering enough to these businesses, then a coup shall ensue after a quick check that it's ok. Monies change hand, and the army arranges.

Thaksin was once hoping to become part of this group sitting right at the top table, but alas, he was in a new fangled industry like telecoms which needs oodles of ongoing capital, whereas all the others were just in businesses that need seed capital, protection and a lots of labour. So, he grew a bit tired and upset the apple cart and the natural order of things, and said, dam_n you lot, I am going to do it myself. And he we are today. One old and one new business group having a turf war, with the army apparently playing referee in the middle.

I don't disagree totally with your description of the Thai Army. Take a step back however, a wider, not so Thai specific view. My point was that in ANY democracy the military should be apolitical. It should not be involved in political parties at all. Like the civil service it should follow the governorship of the government regardless of political view. This is why I differed with Time Traveller's post.

The army does act as a safety valve here and has done so many times. There may, and probably are, very selfish reasons for doing so, granted. The very act of stealing all the coffers is to cripple the income of the army, then it fore-stalls that very theft going too far. All things come to a balance because one thing pushes another - reminds me of that old rabbit and foxes economics 101 thing - too many rabbits causes fox population to explode, reduces the rabbits, foxes die, rabbits population increases again - ad infinitum. Neither is working for the other - both have very selfish motives, but one forces the other through standard market like forces. Everything tend to zero (balance).

As yet I have not seen that political change has been a trigger for the Army to move in - of course we have not seen a real threat to the old guard either (we could say 2006 was that threat, but there were many other reasons for the coup in the Army's eyes - Thaksin was a tinkerer and upset many in the Army with his open nepotism and irregular super-promotions, and the threats that were coming with regard to fallacious bomb plots/framings etc) - if such a threat existed (not sure it does even today) and it is a trigger, then maybe a coup could be on the cards.

These old money, old guard, families will make money whatever happens as long as they know what is coming. I don't think the PTP are much of a threat, and in real terms I think they are making money hand over fist and will remain doing so as loans come in, projects are built, and governments change. Feudal Chinese ideology - long term thinking - I think that was Thaksin's real mistake - rushing in and trampling the competition (i.e. those at the table/trough alongside him - that put him there). I think he did have a seat at that table - but wanted more and now and made too much of a splash doing it. He started to be a risk - and when he refused to go - they chopped his feet off. Feudal.

This makes we think you are quite correct that for real change to occur here the military must be stymied - unless that change also profits the old guard too (assuming one directly influences the other). Or unless the change directly profits the generals and as such damages those links to the old guard.

This old monied group don't know how to make money without protection. Just imagine if someone did away with the 51% company ownership law, or the restricted industry, or implemented land reform.

You say

No, he got it wrong. ANUPONG formed a government in 2008 featuring the Dems & their coalition members with army guns stuck up their backsides.

A real piece of imaginary day dreaming. Of course they would not understand it.

What you don't seem to understand is kid's go to school to learn. Not to hear flights of fantasy.

Also lecturing is not how you are supposed to teach. That is part of the problem with you wannabe teachers you think you have taught them some thing by lecturing. Of course you have not taught them one little bit of how to reason and use logic. You are just perpetuating the system that has kept them from being creative through the use of their mind. Not from some rambling lecture that is based on the lack of knowledge of the person giving it.

You been away a while been on holiday?

OK, some teaching. When trying to debate please address the topic and attempt to make some valid points. You haven't addressed my statement or made any valid points relating to the topic. pedagogy.

The topic is not pedagogy That is a piece of crap you have brought in to divert the attention of your piece of nonsense.

"No, he got it wrong. ANUPONG formed a government in 2008 featuring the Dems & their coalition members with army guns stuck up their backsides."

Perhaps you could give us an idea who ANUPONG is it would make the discussion easier. I checked a dictionary no such word in it.

my response to it was

A real piece of imaginary day dreaming. Followed by a statement that I would most assuredly if I had a kid in that school get him out of there.

What I did not say was you remind me of a teacher back in Canada who was teaching the Holocaust did not really happen.

Your response was

Now as I see it I responded to your belief of the army and what I would do if a school had a teacher teaching such drival about the army. You replied with a personal attack. The truth be known I don't believe you believe your own nonsense about the army.

"Perhaps you could give us an idea who ANUPONG is it would make the discussion easier. I checked a dictionary no such word in it."

Is this helpful dolly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anupong_Paochinda

Ate Thaksin's lasses back?

Did they return with the same amount of luggage?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

just wondering while reading through this, would the U.K. be keeping an eye on the girls luggage where it went and who came and went and where they went?

Yingluk may have appointed herself as minister for defence, but the question is, does she control the military? Or is she merely tolerated by the military? This announcement by the Defence Ministry spokesman may be a message from the Minister for Defence, or it could be a warning from the military brass to both sides of the politcal divide. IF the military moves, we will find out which it is. Either the begining of a military backed Shinawattra dictatorship, or the military bringing stability before the country implodes.

Yingluck is technically the boss of the spokesmen who made the statement. If Yingluck had no idea they were going to make that statement then it's definitely a signal from the army to her ("this guy is supposed to be your subordinate yes? He's still a man in an army uniform and in the end, he answers to us, not you").

Of course if the statement's origins were from her (in order to unsettle the yellow shirts?), or I guess I should say her brother, then it's a complicated long con ....

well if the RTA do decide enough is enough. They have to arrest all the trouble makers straight away and that includes the man who has vowed that his intention is to bring down the government. Twenty years in jail will sort him out .

He said Thai people love their monarch, love the country and religion and therefore should come together to build the country before it was too late.

'before it's too late'

What does that mean? Bullies in red shirts burning the streets down again?? Or maybe bullies in red shirts backed up by the army this time???

I would hate this to be a muted threat to the democrat/anti-PTP protesters, one can never really be sure here.

Nah, he was probably was referring to the terrorists taking over the airports, same mob who are trying to bring the government down right now. coffee1.gif

The only way this country will ever find peace and stability is , IF Thaksin stops this power trip and greed and gives up his political games and retires with his amassed fortune !!,

If Thaksin really loved this country and the people , he would've left a long time ago to let real democracy and the true will of Thai people to decide where this Counrty goes !!!!

Evolution does not favour greed .... this country can never evolve until greed and corruption is stamped out

Yep ! so should'nt they clean up the ones inside the borders first, You know Khun Suthep for starters, get rid of this trash and then start to look further afield. rolleyes.gif

'before it's too late'

I would hate this to be a muted threat to the democrat/anti-PTP protesters, one can never really be sure here.

Nah, he was probably was referring to the terrorists taking over the airports, same mob who are trying to bring the government down right now. coffee1.gif

Could have been worse, they could have burnt it down. Like your lot tried in 2010 in Bangkok

• Like 1

It could also means that the clown called Suthep calls off his paid people's from the South to return home.

This is not a warning for a coup but to clear up the streets.

The problems with the democrats is that they can't win an election and they don't want to wait until 2015 to get once again defeated.

I hope the army stays out of this time.

Let the people decide in 1 1/2 years if PTP needs to be booted out of the government.

Abhisit will never become a PM in Thailand again also I do have to say he has some kind of leadership compared to his financier from Surat Thani who has always bring bad luck to the Democrat Party. Come on Suthep go back to Surat Thani and let Abhisit build a proper opposition with people's such as Khun Banyan, Khun Surin or even bring people back like Chuan Lekpai but with Abhisit been only close to Suthep it shows that the real leaders of the Democrat Party have long lost faith in the current Democrat Party.

Surin went for the ASEAN Secretary general job and left the Democrat Party when they really needed some wise guys. Abhisit was to many years overseas to really understand the Thai political system. His good looks when he was young surely helped but the years changed him.

Oh yes, I do was a fan of the Democrat Party in the the 80's/90's and early 2000 as they had a strong balance against those political tycoons such as Chavalit, Banharn and Chatchai but this is long time ago.

WOW! i am breathless. At last someone with a brain can see the damage that this clown Suthep is doing, not only to Thailand and its people, but to the Democrat Party. rolleyes.gifwai2.gif

Armed Forces now calls for national unity before it is too late

IMHO This sentence sums up ALL that is wrong with Thailand!

How can you call for "national unity"? People have different opinions and ideas. Even if they were not bought and sold, as they are in Thailand...how can anyone say "be unified...or be punished"!

...and the Army, most of all!

<deleted>?

Everything in this country is always resolved by neglect or by violence!

Democracy, freedom of ideas, expression?

Anyone?

It seems that sad and troubled times may be ahead!

I do not want to comment on the politics of the moment (someone is always watching), but the cultural context of what you say is absolutely relevant. Enforced harmony. A stagnant pool. Disagree and die. It's all a recipe for becoming a geopolitical backwater.

It could also means that the clown called Suthep calls off his paid people's from the South to return home.

The problems with the democrats is that they can't win an election and they don't want to wait until 2015 to get once again defeated.

Let the people decide in 1 1/2 years if PTP needs to be booted out of the government.

Abhisit will never become a PM in Thailand again also I do have to say he has some kind of leadership compared to his financier from Surat Thani who has always bring bad luck to the Democrat Party. Come on Suthep go back to Surat Thani and let Abhisit build a proper opposition with people's such as Khun Banyan, Khun Surin or even bring people back like Chuan Lekpai but with Abhisit been only close to Suthep it shows that the real leaders of the Democrat Party have long lost faith in the current Democrat Party.

Surin went for the ASEAN Secretary general job and left the Democrat Party when they really needed some wise guys. Abhisit was to many years overseas to really understand the Thai political system. His good looks when he was young surely helped but the years changed him.

Oh yes, I do was a fan of the Democrat Party in the the 80's/90's and early 2000 as they had a strong balance against those political tycoons such as Chavalit, Banharn and Chatchai but this is long time ago.

WOW! i am breathless. At last someone with a brain can see the damage that this clown Suthep is doing, not only to Thailand and its people, but to the Democrat Party. rolleyes.gifwai2.gif

Forget what damage he's doing now.. He's a dinosaur who feathers his own nest, just like the rest of them.

• Like 1

Forget what damage he's doing now.. He's a dinosaur who feathers his own nest, just like the rest of them.

whatever damage he might be amusing or will cause pales into insignificance compared with the damage Taksin has done and continues to of and if allowed will do in the future. I hope he gets as much support as he can and brings this bunch of greedy pigs out for ever. Whatever corruption their was before and still would be with a new government it also pales into nothing compares with the Shinawati clan and their coward good for nothing MPs. If it takes him to stop Thailand becoming a one party dictator state under Taksin then so be it and I will rejoice.

Failing that I only hope the army has not got into bed with Taksin and his lot and will step in again to save Thailand but this time put a permanent end to any chance of the current evil group ever getting back. Abahist is to nice to do it and does not have experience of living in gutter politics as Taksin does or most of those around him all of whom do not give one jot for Thailand.

whatever damage he might be amusing or will cause pales into insignificance compared with the damage Taksin has done and continues to of and if allowed will do in the future. I hope he gets as much support as he can and brings this bunch of greedy pigs out for ever. Whatever corruption their was before and still would be with a new government it also pales into nothing compares with the Shinawati clan and their coward good for nothing MPs. If it takes him to stop Thailand becoming a one party dictator state under Taksin then so be it and I will rejoice.

Failing that I only hope the army has not got into bed with Taksin and his lot and will step in again to save Thailand but this time put a permanent end to any chance of the current evil group ever getting back. Abahist is to nice to do it and does not have experience of living in gutter politics as Taksin does or most of those around him all of whom do not give one jot for Thailand.

Of course. But moaning that Suthep is damaging the democrat party is pitiful. It is barely worth saving. In fact the best thing would be for it to fall and something new to come out of it.

On this one I support Suthep. He is at least doing something purposeful, and whether or not he gets wealth out of it afterwards, who cares. It is the right thing now. He might be a sleazy politician but he is fighting the good fight at the moment.

The army never was or will be a homogenous group but prem controls enough of it that thaksin cannot command it to a great enough level. Prem can have minimum 70% loyalty instantly.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I smell a coup.....

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I smell and early election; then the 'blanket' amnesty will be truly dead, another Thaksin coalition will be formed, and the Democrat Party et. al. won't have a legitimate reason to protest. The new Thaksin coalition will be much weaker than the one of a month ago because the People are awakened to the lengths the Thaksin Parties will go and the Democrats are a little bit emboldened and energized by the recent SNAFUs of the current Thaksin coalition and success of the protests. Dr. Thaksin's hubris is the only thing stopping early elections and the Army is maybe giving him a polite, easy way out with the least loss of face. No denying it is a major loss for Dr. Thaksin but he has gone a long way to building goodwill with the Army by letting them choose their leadership and letting his sister be Minister of Defense. They owe him and are trying to let him off lightly. Put you money on elections as the way out of all the current 'problems'. Politically, the Army does not want nor can afford the fallout of another coup.

Edited by rametindallas

Now maybe the Major General can set the Prime Minister/Defense Minister down and explain this all to her. Maybe even suggest she and her cronies accept , expert suggestions, muzzle and or releive those refusing to do so, then set a example of their scincerity by following the letter of the law and accept judicial ruling.

For the Major General to set the Prime Minister/Defense Minister down would be like telling the cat. This message was for Dr. Thaksin who makes ALL the key decisions for this government.

Was this taken from the book "Chicken Soup for a Coup"?

Reminds me of my childhood days, when I pushed things close to the tipping point and my mom would (without saying a word) silently open the kitchen drawer, grab and place the wooden cooking spoon on top of the fridge before she gave me that special look...

Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the U.S., said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick".

The idea of negotiating peacefully, simultaneously threatening with the "big stick", or the military, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_softly_and_carry_a_big_stick

Edited by rametindallas

The only way this country will ever find peace and stability is , IF Thaksin stops this power trip and greed and gives up his political games and retires with his amassed fortune !!,

If Thaksin really loved this country and the people , he would've left a long time ago to let real democracy and the true will of Thai people to decide where this Counrty goes !!!!

Evolution does not favour greed .... this country can never evolve until greed and corruption is stamped out

Dr. Thaksin has stated publicly, many times, that he will never give up. I believe him. If he does not get his way, he will plague Thailand until he dies

If Thaksin really loved this country and the people , he would've left a long time ago to let real democracy and the true will of Thai people to decide where this Country goes !!!!

Unfortunately for the Thai people, Thaksin only loves Thaksin and he is monogamous; Thailand cannot even be his 'mia noi' (minor wife) He also controls all the strings of government.

Evolution does not favour greed ....

Evolution favors 'Survival of the fittest' which means the person with no morals to limit his behavior will beat the person who is limited by morals. 'Nice guys finish last' is a truism. Ask yourself if Thailand is more corrupt now than ten or twenty or even fifty years ago. Criminals get smarter and they also breed indiscriminately.

this country can never evolve until greed and corruption is stamped out

Agreed, but do let me know if you find any such country.

I'm not trying to disagree with you but your post worked well for me to express my opinion.

Priceless from our well informed Daddy!

In any other civilised functioning democracy a government with this record of scandals and performance would have stepped down long ago, they continue to lie and bungle their way forward refusing to believe they've done anything wrong, I challenge anyone to name one thing they have done right in the last 2 years - the recent allegation of paying off attendies at a water management meeting with 800baht for their support should be enough to tear down any government in any other country but it goes un-investigated and unnoticed <deleted> is that all about

People wonder why there are so many coups in this country - I would tend to replace the word "coup" with "sensible intervention" when there are no other means and a scandal rotten administration blindly continues on and refuses to step down

This charade cannot be allowed to continue and unfortunately I see no other way to bring it to an end except some "sensible intervention" the sooner the better

Well you got the what have they done right in the last two years right.

As for the rest of it you should get out more.