Thailand's Armed Forces call for national unity before it is too late

webfact

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

few days ago, in the thread about a possible civil war, I wrote:

"I think the political leaders know well that the army would step in once more - as they did so many times in the past - and tell them "you had your chance but you forgave the opportunity to do anything good for the country, so we take over again". And they will organize new elections some time down the road."

reading the statement from this army guy, I think we are almost there... seems to prove me right...

• Like 2

C'mon army, get on with it then! The tension'll keep mounting and Pheua thai will put the country further down the tubes until the army inevitably have to shut down Pheua Thai- better now than later, before things turn violent, and finally put an end to all this Shinawatra nepotism and graft once and for all.

That's assuming the Army will back the "good guys". What if they back the red shirts? Impossible?? Who knows what deals have been done?

And unfortunately, putting PTP down will not end violence, it will just cfeate another one, maybe even much more violent.

Thailand is heading towards real disaster unless Yingluck steps in and calls PTP to stop the nonsense they are currently pursuing. Abhisit should do the same with Suthep, but that will never happen, because Abhisit doesn't have a clue either. Strangely enough, only a stronger Yingluck in my opinion can avoid Thailand going totally down. And I definitely do not like PTP or Red Shirts (doesn't fit me fashion-wise either).

2006 again...

The army did make plenty of warnings before they jumped in...

It was the Government of the time that put itself above the law and courts.

Followed by a military that put itself above the law and courts, and wrote a constitution that has rules within it that say you basically can't change it... "It is self-evident that what we say is right is right because we say so."

Not that I have any sympathy for the PTP in all this, but the issue is hardly black and white.

Not really what happened after the last coup, at least in my opinion. I think the change of the consitution at that time was an effort tryng to prevent a democratically elected dictatorship by assuring some truly independnt instituitons (like the lower house not being elected, as it would just follow the palirament. Same majorities whenit comes to electing the senate), And that is what somebody desperately wants to reverse, because he does not want any balances and checks, but absolute power. Reminds me a bit of the cartoon "Isnogud" with a Wesir who would actually love to be the Khalif. Hmmm, how to translate this to real settings with political systems and other very important but non-political institutions.

But of course, I am just joking, right?

It could also means that the clown called Suthep calls off his paid people's from the South to return home.

This is not a warning for a coup but to clear up the streets.

The problems with the democrats is that they can't win an election and they don't want to wait until 2015 to get once again defeated.

I hope the army stays out of this time.

Let the people decide in 1 1/2 years if PTP needs to be booted out of the government.

Abhisit will never become a PM in Thailand again also I do have to say he has some kind of leadership compared to his financier from Surat Thani who has always bring bad luck to the Democrat Party. Come on Suthep go back to Surat Thani and let Abhisit build a proper opposition with people's such as Khun Banyan, Khun Surin or even bring people back like Chuan Lekpai but with Abhisit been only close to Suthep it shows that the real leaders of the Democrat Party have long lost faith in the current Democrat Party.

Surin went for the ASEAN Secretary general job and left the Democrat Party when they really needed some wise guys. Abhisit was to many years overseas to really understand the Thai political system. His good looks when he was young surely helped but the years changed him.

Oh yes, I do was a fan of the Democrat Party in the the 80's/90's and early 2000 as they had a strong balance against those political tycoons such as Chavalit, Banharn and Chatchai but this is long time ago.

Surin might actually be somebody who could play an important role and in this context it is good that he finished his term as ASEAN SG.

Who knows for sure what is going on behind the scenes. Thailand is predictably unpredictable in many ways, and people's actions correlate with this. Anything is possible, even if we consider the direction taken or decisions made to be baffling at times.

Possibilities:

1. Democrats, or at least those following Suthep, will keep pushing in the hope of bringing the army out against the government ... and hoping the failure of the amnesty bill and the faults found in their procedure to amend the constitution will greatly reduce any future chances of the Thaksin roadshow returning in such a strong position in Parliament.

2. Pheu Thai are deliberately pushing things as far as possible in order to force an orchestrated coup that will bring the red outs onto the street to become martyrs for the cause, and eek out the sympathy needed to win future elections.

3. Pheu Thai think they are above everyone and just can't see beyond the rule of law or the checks made on their actions. If this were true, then they are simply stupid beyond words.

4. Nobody on either side of the political fence really has the foggiest idea what their job really is, and wakes up in the morning and decides to say something silly off the top of their head for the sheer fun of getting into the newspapers or their face on TV. Then they "eat play play", play games on their phone and look at nude photos whenever they are obliged to sit in Parliament for more than an hour. They have no idea what is likely to happen as a result of their actions, and in no way will be held responsible for any of their actions, because someone else must have done it.

Personal opinion is that number 4 is closest to the truth.

• Like 1

You fellas still don't get it.

This is an announcement by the minister of defense (Yingluck) through her defense ministry spokesman.

It has nothing to do with the army's stance.

It is not the army threatening or warning of a coup.

It is Yingluck trying to make it sound like they are in the hope that it will scare people into stopping the protests..

That is one way to interprete it. We will see soon.

An very inaccurate headline and an archive photo of soldiers which has nothing to do with who said the statement. This was the defense ministry which is not the army or made up of active service men but white collar civil servants and some politicians at the top. Yingluck is Minister of Defense and so head of the spokesman. Of course it's in their interest to say peace and no protest against them. The army has actually been silent throughout and I believe that a coup is holy unlikely this time around. Pleas get the headlines correct.

• Like 1

The spokesman then called on all sides to set aside individual interest, stop creating hatred and stop hurting the country, but restoring peace and bringing happiness back to the people.

There is one person who has no interest in any of these things, His interests are all he cares about. Thaksin could bring an end to all this by returning, walk through the jail and settle for being the man behind the scenes. Alas, this will never happen, it's all about his ego.

They sound like the words we all recognize but here in Thailand some people think it does not apply to them and carry on.

Very different groups who will not listen to each other, find consenus or think of the future of the country.

The armed forces have sent out their warning. now then who was listening? I am reading between the lines that heads could soon be banged together?

Edited by nong38

This is the spokesman of the defence ministry. Not the army. Yingluck is his boss!

Does Mr. T now offer negotiations as he start to realise that he cant win?

Agreed. The picture that depicts uniformed military is an archive photo' as watermarked. The statement is from the government department of the Ministry of Defense which is most definitely run by the majority party in government. For my money this is a desperate scare mongering tactic by a frightened government who will stoop to any depth to get what they want.

• Like 1