Best Caesar Salad

beau thai

At my house.

Same here and it's super easy to make:

fresh kos lettuce, coat leaves in egg white and combine with grated Parmesan in a shake bag - shake (the bag fool, not you) and refrigerate for 30 minutes (one for Nancy), add freshly made croutons and add anchovies if you like such things, do NOT add bottled sauce no matter what it's called, job done.

Absolutely. Getting the croutons right is a major part of it.

Fried very hot, crispy and drained of any cooking oil.

Agree for sure no bottled sauce.

Anchovies? Caesar no, the flavour is too delicate. Nicoise yes, but up to you of course

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1

I see a consensus forming:

Must be Kos or Romaine,

Can be any hard Italian cheese such as Parmesan

The croutons are vital, must be freshly made, crisp and free of oil.

Garlic and Worcestershire sauce are mandatory.

Question over egg white or yolk,

Majority in favour of no bottled sauce.

Anchovies optional,

Chilled for 30 minutes before serving.

• Like 2

Actually, it turns out that the original Caesar's salad recipe did not include anchovies. Whatever anchovy flavor there was came from the Worcestershire sauce. I'm never going to trust again the author of post #15.

That is not accurate, I've been to the Caesar Hotel restaurant several times and anchovies are a part of the original recipe. Interestingly though they do a wonderful thing, after the dressing is made they take all the croutons and dump them into the dressing bowl to soak up all the dressing. They also surprisingly still use bottom of the line Kraft parmesan, but it's still a slice of heaven.

I see a consensus forming:

Must be Kos or Romaine,

Can be any hard Italian cheese such as Parmesan

The croutons are vital, must be freshly made, crisp and free of oil.

Garlic and Worcestershire sauce are mandatory.

Question over egg white or yolk,

Majority in favour of no bottled sauce.

Anchovies optional,

Chilled for 30 minutes before serving.

Must interject, serve immediately after making. Many of the best places make them table side (as I do in my house) so so the crisp lettuce remains so and the other ingredients retain their freshness and essential oils intact.

Actually, it turns out that the original Caesar's salad recipe did not include anchovies. Whatever anchovy flavor there was came from the Worcestershire sauce. I'm never going to trust again the author of post #15.

That is not accurate, I've been to the Caesar Hotel restaurant several times and anchovies are a part of the original recipe. Interestingly though they do a wonderful thing, after the dressing is made they take all the croutons and dump them into the dressing bowl to soak up all the dressing. They also surprisingly still use bottom of the line Kraft parmesan, but it's still a slice of heaven.

Butterisbetter is correct - Caesar Cardini, creator of the Caesar salad in Tijuana, Mexico, insisted that anchovies were not a part of his recipe.

I concure as I too have had the salad in TJ's hotel. Anchovies rubbed into the bowl!

Well shut my big mouth OR say it isn't so Joe!

Another urban myth about to be squashed, I don't have the heart to tell him, anyone!

I was certain that I had anchovies at the Caesar Hotel, but while wiki is certainly not the end all of factual information it and several other sources vote against me, perhaps i should double up on my meds?

Well shut my big mouth OR say it isn't so Joe!

Another urban myth about to be squashed, I don't have the heart to tell him, anyone!

I was certain that I had anchovies at the Caesar Hotel, but while wiki is certainly not the end all of factual information it and several other sources vote against me, perhaps i should double up on my meds?

Anchovies or not, the problem I think is your use of the word "original" and the idea that the recipe came from Caesars hotel, never mind, as long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters.