Cop thiefs on narawat bridge!

bangkok blue

Yet again milking all and sundry. This time (as previously reported) anyone without a Thai driving license getting done for 500bht. Or of course you can pay 200bht into the cop's pocket to avoid the inconvenience of having to go to the police station.

I know what some will argue this is now the law. But why not enforce it properly, instead of using it to make some extra tea money and abusing the whole point of what it's meant for!?surely the standards of driving tests in UK and America for example are good enough to drive here!

I have a full UK license, but until I get my Thai license sorted, unless some cop jumps on my bonnet so I can't continue driving, then I won't be stopping for these mother <deleted> on narawat bridge. Which is exactly what I did earlier in the week when someone tried to wave me to the side. Car taxed up, so clearly only reason was to rip me off! No thank you, and off I went. Sadly my friends on bikes behind weren't so lucky.

Is it hang dong I need to go to to get my Thai license? Just need card and paper copy of original uk license? Any need for a passport? I have an ED visa, although I doubt visas are needed to be checked to obtain one.

I love it here, but laws should be applied for the right reasons and not abused for personal gain. I'll get what I need ASAP, so I can shove it in the cops face and he'll try and move on to the next driving ATM!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let's work this out. They advised that November is a clamp down on driving licence checks and you think this is a graft.

I would hate to think what it would cost me in the UK.

You need proof of residents paper from Consul/embassy, doctor certificate and your time.....you will need to do the theory and rope pulling test absolute joke but hey......

All up it takes about 3-4 hrs to complete at the Hang dong rd complex, then return in 1 year for your 5 year licence.

Would like to see what would happen if we tried to pay off the cops at home.....I love it.

Ok let's work this out. They advised that November is a clamp down on driving licence checks and you think this is a graft.

You need proof of residents paper from Consul/embassy, doctor certificate and your time.....you will need to do the theory and rope pulling test absolute joke but hey......

All up it takes about 3-4 hrs to complete at the Hang dong rd complex, then return in 1 year for your 5 year licence.

Would like to see what would happen if we tried to pay off the cops at home.....I love it.

What's the situation for my next licence which is for 5 years, having done the 12 months "Provisional" (and 55 years in 5 other countries).

Do I need a proof of residence - SIGGHH or would the lease be sufficient?

surely not another doctor's certificate?

You don't get a chance to pay the cops at home, as it's mostly on camera and you get a polite 'pay up or else' in the mail.

If the authorities were genuine about traffic laws, they'd be on the main roads at night checking on helmets. About a 95% catch rate methinks.

Oh yes. Anyone suggested booze buses? that would finance a high speed rail link to Chinag Mai in no time at all.

What's the situation for my next licence which is for 5 years, having done the 12 months "Provisional" (and 55 years in 5 other countries).

Do I need a proof of residence - SIGGHH or would the lease be sufficient?

surely not another doctor's certificate?

You don't get a chance to pay the cops at home, as it's mostly on camera and you get a polite 'pay up or else' in the mail.

If the authorities were genuine about traffic laws, they'd be on the main roads at night checking on helmets. About a 95% catch rate methinks.

Oh yes. Anyone suggested booze buses? that would finance a high speed rail link to Chinag Mai in no time at all.

doctors cert.

proof of residence immigration.

d.c.not more than 50bht.

res.letter 500bht..

no driving licence.

failing to stop when told to.

you have broken the law twice.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

hopefully they will have your car reg.no.

6months in the slammer.

what do you think about that.

I have a UK driving license, which up until recently has been fine.

My point is they are abusing the new law and regulations for personal gain and i wont be playing that game with them.I somehow doubt very much I will be doing any big bird for not stopping for corrupt cops. If I broke the law then, then what are they doing by pocketing the money?

It's no big deal. Will just make sure I avoid narawat bridge and go around the river in future to get to where I need to.

no driving licence.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

6months in the slammer.

My point is they are abusing the new law and regulations for personal gain and i wont be playing that game with them.I somehow doubt very much I will be doing any big bird for not stopping for corrupt cops. If I broke the law then, then what are they doing by pocketing the money?

It's no big deal. Will just make sure I avoid narawat bridge and go around the river in future to get to where I need to.

It is not only Sapan Narawat that they are checking ID's. All over the city. Why not get a license? You have been around for years. No excuse.

no driving licence.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

6months in the slammer.

It is not only Sapan Narawat that they are checking ID's. All over the city. Why not get a license? You have been around for years. No excuse.

I intend to now. As I said until recently it hasn't been an issue. It's tourists I feel sorry for. That's who will get bled dry, as the cops pockets get bigger. I know this is what happens in Thailand. But if it is so important to enforce this new regulation, then its wrong for cops who are abusing and profiting personally from it.

so lets presume you have insurance on your car/bike.

Good luck when someone causes the accident and you need to claim, believe me they want too see it.

Remeber the article about 500bht on arrival next year....cause...people like you.

Only bought my car in the last month. TP only insurance has its a cheap 2nd hand one. I thought I'd wait and see if this new regulation was properly enforced. Now I know they are I'll sort a Thai driving license.

I thought this post would provoke many responses. I'm not against this law. But I'm against those enforcing it using it as an excuse for personal gain. If the reason for having an international / Thai driving license is to cut down on accidents, then they should also spend more time on enforcing the no helmet law too.

@Bangkok Blue

If you don't want to get the ticket, get a license. I had mine (car and motorcycle) within a week of getting to CM. Never had a chance to use them though since I have never been stopped in the 3 years I have lived here. Maybe they think a westerner with a helmet, armored jacket, and gloved is going to just be squared away with the paperwork as well.

Don't like paying tea money? Just don't do it. Nothing says you have to do it. Take your ticket, go to the station, and pay up.

And thanks for the laugh where you said "surely the standards of driving tests in UK and America for example are good enough to drive here!" Maybe in the UK you can get away with driving with a Thai license rather than a UK license but not likely in the US.

So, get the license and the insurance and quit whining about the police enforcing the law.

David

The standard of the UK driving test is FAR superior to the Thai one. So why shouldn't a UK driving license be considered acceptable for Thailand? Obviously they don't, at present. But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England. What a ridiculous comparison!

• Like 1

I know it's a personal question, and it may seem a strange one to ask, but believe me I'm only asking it for your own good, because there's a bar on Moon Muang Rd......... Are you ugly?

Yes, that's me. However your mother doesn't complain too much since she bought me the gimp mask for my birthday! Apparently it was cheaper than the dog collar I bought for her! X

@Bangkok Blue

If you don't want to get the ticket, get a license. I had mine (car and motorcycle) within a week of getting to CM. Never had a chance to use them though since I have never been stopped in the 3 years I have lived here. Maybe they think a westerner with a helmet, armored jacket, and gloved is going to just be squared away with the paperwork as well.

Don't like paying tea money? Just don't do it. Nothing says you have to do it. Take your ticket, go to the station, and pay up.

And thanks for the laugh where you said "surely the standards of driving tests in UK and America for example are good enough to drive here!" Maybe in the UK you can get away with driving with a Thai license rather than a UK license but not likely in the US.

So, get the license and the insurance and quit whining about the police enforcing the law.

David

The standard of the UK driving test is FAR superior to the Thai one. So why shouldn't a UK driving license be considered acceptable for Thailand? Obviously they don't, at present. But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England. What a ridiculous comparison!

Wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was to point out that each country sets its own standards for what is acceptable within its borders. I too think the driving tests in the UK and the US are more stringent than the ones in Thailand, however, Thailand requires a Thai license just as the UK requires a UK license and the US requires a US license. And all three have penalties for driving without the proper license.

David

Someone said I can get proof of residency from immigration, another said the consulate / embassy. Anyone know which one for sure? This is a definite requirement for the Thai license, yes?

Definite requirement and the one from immigration will most likely be much cheaper than the one from your consulate/embassy.

David

@Bangkok Blue

David

Wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was to point out that each country sets its own standards for what is acceptable within its borders. I too think the driving tests in the UK and the US are more stringent than the ones in Thailand, however, Thailand requires a Thai license just as the UK requires a UK license and the US requires a US license. And all three have penalties for driving without the proper license.

David

Fair enough David, but maybe a Thai license is acceptable for a temporary period, as per above post.

I'm surprised no one else thinks its wrong the cops are using this new regulation to personally profit. I'm also surprised that the powers that be don't consider a western driving license, which had stricter tests good enough for here. Especially as UK citizens drive on the same side of the road as Thailand. Hey ho T.I.T! I'll get what I need this week to avoid any potential issues.

Someone said I can get proof of residency from immigration, another said the consulate / embassy. Anyone know which one for sure? This is a definite requirement for the Thai license, yes?

Definite requirement and the one from immigration will most likely be much cheaper than the one from your consulate/embassy.

David

I'll look into it. Immigration is packed solid most days. So could be quicker at UK consulate. Willing to pay more if it saves a wasted day.

Thanks for the info.

Proof of Residence from British consulate is more than 2,000 baht.

What is the 'new regulation' that you keep mentioning? As long as I've been here you have needed Thai licence or an international Drivers Licence, which is only valid for a short stay. Admittedly, the police used to accept a British Licence occasionally, but even 20 odd years ago I got a ticket after showing my British Licence in Chiang Rai so I promptly went out and got a Thai one, as you would.

Another whiney westerner complaining about getting pinched by the cops, enforcing the driving regs!

Actually, if you travel the world much via private vehicle, you'll find out that most of the cops would be classified as thieves (try Latin America for starters).

The building opposite the runway before macro etc? Paperwork and money, long trousers, bike etc. What times good to go, 9? How many pics do we need? Thanks

Edited by Paangjang

Yes big place on the left, but make sure unless your Thai is fluent, bring someone to help as they are not ready for ASEAN.

Long pants your choice never worn them my self never...timing well just avoid lunchtime as it's "tired La time"

Pics they do and any photo copying required can be done by the handy service desk.

Really is simple......patience is the key

• Like 1