Cop thiefs on narawat bridge!

bangkok blue

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it would have been fairer to allow a 6 month grace period for foreigners to switch over to a Thai license, In line with the period allowed to drive on a IDL?

TIT.... Money talks when it comes down to the BIB.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Six month grace period? It takes less than a day to get a Thai license. If you've been in the Kingdom for six months already, you should have already gotten it. That was always the rule. That they are now enforcing the rule seems to bother you more than the fact that you have been breaking the law all this time. Why do you find it so difficult to follow the laws of the country you are in? The law has always been very clear. You just chose to break it.

Here are your choices

1) Run the road block. Not hard to do.

2) Don't drive.

3) Get a Thai licence

4) Use an international drivers license

5) Pay a small fee for not having a license and be thankful it's so cheap

I know if I got caught in my home country driving without a license, it would be incredibly expensive. $100s of dollars and possible jail time. 200b ($6) is a freakin' steal.

4...when you say IDL is that just the translation (IDP) you get from AAA in oz or post office in UK?

is IDP the same as IDL?????

surely if so, then its very easy for most people (who leave Thailand at least every 6 months as many do for visa runs or holidays) to just get this and not have any problems on the bridge!!!

Remarkably easy. Getting an International Driver's License (Permit) usually can be done by mailing in a form, photocopies of the home license, and some money. You can receive the IDL by return mail. This is the way it's done in many countries. Others might have to go to a municipal office (Japanese IDL)

yes it is very easy.... but from comments above im now not sure if this is still acceptable for use in Thailand if last entry under 6 months?!

is it valid and if for under 6 months. does this 6 months reset itself when leaving Thailand and returning (for visa run/holiday/short term etc)?

if it is then why all the comments about "new rules" being unfair etc etc etc !!

thanks

That's what I'm wondering too. Assuming that the OP doesn't have an annual extension of stay, and that he is British/North American etc., then isn't he legal?

If the OP had been Thai and had been caught in the UK he would have been guilty of driving without a licence:

£1000 fine, driving ban at the discretion of the court and 6 points on his licence (12 points gives you a ban)

Also driving without valid insurance:

£5000 fine, ban at the discretion of the court and 8 points on his licence.

He really ought to stop whining.

Sorry for those who consider opening a debate and voicing an opinion whining.

Ok, so perhaps it has always been the law to have a Thai license and only now is it being enforced more. I haven't bothered getting a license sorted before as only just got the car.

However lets look at other existing laws that were not enforced before that are equally unfair, then BOOM! Busted, such as the incident of the musicians getting done at the jazz bar a while back for no W.P! Playing for free yet deemed to be making a profit in the bar, thus illegal. Some of you would say "we'll it's the law so obey it or go back home!" Yet the point to me opening this debate is to show that these "laws" are all abused for the same thing, money. Even if you pay at the station the cop gets commission for the ticket. Yet most happy to fill his pockets. Yes it's a win, win situation for all and yea it's a cheap one. But it could all be done so much fairer. That's my point, that's my opinion. I love this country and if you check my posts I rarely, rarely 'whine' about anything. But from time to time there will be things we don't agree with here, which is the same for anyone anywhere.

Off to get Thai license tmrw.... Thank you, and goodnight!

• Like 1

Ok, so perhaps it has always been the law to have a Thai license and only now is it being enforced more. I haven't bothered getting a license sorted before as only just got the car.

However lets look at other existing laws that were not enforced before that are equally unfair, then BOOM! Busted, such as the incident of the musicians getting done at the jazz bar a while back for no W.P! Playing for free yet deemed to be making a profit in the bar, thus illegal. Some of you would say "we'll it's the law so obey it or go back home!" Yet the point to me opening this debate is to show that these "laws" are all abused for the same thing, money. Even if you pay at the station the cop gets commission for the ticket.

You do realise that if you get nicked for speeding in the UK your fine goes to the local police force that nicked you?

You broke the law - you got nicked. Stop whining - it makes you look like a pussy.

Where in this thread have I ever said I was stopped, arrested or fined? Quite the opposite actually. Stop misquoting, it makes you look like a retard

However lets look at other existing laws that were not enforced before that are equally unfair, then BOOM! Busted, such as the incident of the musicians getting done at the jazz bar a while back for no W.P! Playing for free yet deemed to be making a profit in the bar, thus illegal. Some of you would say "we'll it's the law so obey it or go back home!" Yet the point to me opening this debate is to show that these "laws" are all abused for the same thing, money. Even if you pay at the station the cop gets commission for the ticket. Yet most happy to fill his pockets. Yes it's a win, win situation for all and yea it's a cheap one. But it could all be done so much fairer. That's my point, that's my opinion. I love this country and if you check my posts I rarely, rarely 'whine' about anything. But from time to time there will be things we don't agree with here, which is the same for anyone anywhere.

Off to get Thai license tmrw.... Thank you, and goodnight! �

You forgot to mention that one of them was bragging about it on facebook as well as claiming not to have a work permit but making tons of money.

Did you put a big kick me sign on your back.

Off to get Thai license tmrw.... Thank you, and goodnight! �

You forgot to mention that one of them was bragging about it on facebook as well as claiming not to have a work permit but making tons of money.

Did you put a big kick me sign on your back.

Didn't know that. But I think some if them did play for free.

Apparently; very few people are aware of the fact that, when driving in Thailand on a license OTHER THAN a Thai license, is only valid for 6 months (from date of last entry into the Kingdom). This means that after the expiry of 6 months, you MUST HAVE a Thai License. If you don not - and you are involved in an accident, you may find yourself neck-deep in serious trouble; both of a financial - and a legal kind. Insurance companies will NOT pay-out if you find yourself in this situation: be warned ! ! !

Viriya Insurance in CM was fine with my home country license when signing up for a policy and again 2 years later when paying out on a claim. Cops at Wat Phra Singh police station were also 100% OK with my home license when i dealt with them in 2010. Was on a 1 year multiple entry visa at the time.

The rule about home license said something along the lines of 'you can drive on your home country license if your stay in TH is 90 days or less'. Open question as to whether this was counted from your last date of entry or whether they look at how long you've basically been living in Thailand. In my case they only cared that the home license was not expired.

Good to get a Thai license though since not too hard with home license + clinic paper + consular letter.

OP is right about police motivation.

Edited by dbk2322
  • Like 1

Someone said I can get proof of residency from immigration, another said the consulate / embassy. Anyone know which one for sure? This is a definite requirement for the Thai license, yes?

immigration is where I get mine for my licence etc, takes bugger all time.

My understanding is this - and there is another very detailed thread here that backs it up;

If you are a tourist;

• On a tourist visa, or visa exempt stamp, you can not get a Thai license (because you can't prove residency, and don't have a Non-Immigrant Visa).
  • If you licence is in English, and has a photo, (as well as other conditions under the Geneva Convention) it is deemed an International Drivers Licence, and you can use it without an IDP.
  • Some UK Licence holders need an IDP because older UK Licences don't have a photo.

If you are not a tourist;

• i.e. on a Non-Imigrant Visa (as opposed to a tourist Visa)
  • You can use your International Drivers Licence (i.e. English, photo) or non-international licences with supporting IDP for up to 6 months from entry.
  • After that you are required to obtain a Thai licence.
  • It seems the link is to the type of Visa you are using to stay in The Kingdom.

In NSW (in Australia road law is a state matter);

• If you are a visitor (i.e. tourist visa) you can use your valid licence from any country for up to 12 months.
  • An IDP or English translation is required for Non-English licences.
  • If you are on a temporary workers visa you can continue to drive on your home country licence for as long as you stay on that type of Visa (luck bastards don't loose their licence for too many demerity points).
  • There is a list of countries whose licences are transferable to a NSW Licence without a practical exam, others need to pass the full exam.

It all seems pretty straight forward to me, and pretty consistent with the rest of the world (or at least Australia and The US) - I just wish I could get an official answer one way or the other on the need for an IDP (as I always come on a visa exempt stamp, only for short stays). I believe my stance to be correct, but would love a print out that confirms it that I could carry with me. IDPs from Australia are as expensive as the actual licence - for what is really only a translation.

My understanding is that all ASEAN countries accept each others licences, in the same way EU countries do, with the exception of Cambodia.

Back to the original statement from the OP about the BIB using this as an excuse to line their own pockets...

I guess I can understand that point of view - perhaps he feels he wouldn't have been pinged if there was nothing in it for the cops, and that they would be better off focusing on real crime or riders without helmets...

I feel that way about speed cameras - no cop is going to bother ticketing you for 10km/h over, so they put in cameras to gather the extra revenue.

I see it as being the same - as long as they aren't fabricating the offence - pay them, pay at the station - outcome is the same for you.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo
  • Like 2

FWIW a certificate of residency is free from Chiang Mai immigration. Go there in the morning, apply, pick up one week later in the afternoon. No fee.

I lost my Thai DL, guess I'll do another one. Thanks for the humorous thread title.

Edited by nikster

If the OP had been Thai and had been caught in the UK he would have been guilty of driving without a licence:

£1000 fine, driving ban at the discretion of the court and 6 points on his licence (12 points gives you a ban)

In this scenerio how could the 'Thai' lose 6 points of a licence they do not have ?? blink.png

There is a lot of info on Thai visa about how to get your driving license. I followed it and It was quite easy - quicker and far cheaper (and perhaps even friendlier!) than the equivalent bureaucracy in Oz.

First time I got stopped and showed it the copper was all smiles and "respect, bro'".

Worth the small effort to meet this country's laws.

• Like 2

In this scenerio how could the 'Thai' lose 6 points of a licence they do not have ?? blink.png

Obviously he couldn't facepalm.gif

I was just pointing out the equivalent penalties in his home country. coffee1.gif

Good news for two groups of people.

For those who think that the police should enforce the laws more concertedly, they are out in force at Nawarat bridge as we speak, at this ungodly hour! Everyone knows they clock off at 5pm as regards to checking licences and helmets, but there they are at 9pm. A big surprise for those that think evenings are safe.

For those that think the police are out enforcing laws to just fill up their coffers, purely for their own benefit, then, as if to confirm your views, they are out in force at Nawarat .............

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Good news for two groups of people.

For those who think that the police should enforce the laws more concertedly, they are out in force at Nawarat bridge as we speak, at this ungodly hour! Everyone knows they clock off at 5pm as regards to checking licences and helmets, but there they are at 9pm. A big surprise for those that think evenings are safe.

For those that think the police are out enforcing laws to just fill up their coffers, purely for their own benefit, then, as if to confirm your views, they are out in force at Nawarat .............

Karaoke Christmas party fund, for sure! ;)

• Like 1

Like Barretta said; "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

I got stopped the other day. The cop checked my license (Thai,) my tax sticker (valid,) my insurance papers (under my seat,) my passport copy (with me,) smiled, pointed at my helmet and said 'Thank you, Mister' and sent me on my way. I smiled back and rode off. A full minute or two out of my day, nothing more. Cops doing their job.

• Like 1

I got stopped the other day. The cop checked my license (Thai,) my tax sticker (valid,) my insurance papers (under my seat,) my passport copy (with me,) smiled, pointed at my helmet and said 'Thank you, Mister' and sent me on my way. I smiled back and rode off. A full minute or two out of my day, nothing more. Cops doing their job.

Good for you!

I'll bet you were the teacher's pet in school.

Good for you!

I'll bet you were the teacher's pet in school.

Nah... the teachers don't have pets. They have students who follow the rules and students who break the rules. Just like society.

Usually the students who break the rules call the other students names. I wonder why that is?

Most people follow the rules. A few think the rules don't apply to them. I wonder why that is?

When those people get caught breaking the rules, they tend to get very indignant. I wonder why that is?

I think you're going to fit in well here in Thai Visa. But I don't wonder why that is... smile.png

Teachers do have pets... and when they grow up they usually become the people who willingly drink the Kool-Aid.

Fact is, the cops have been operating traffic enforcement on the Narawat bridge 3 or 4 times a week for the past two years (as well as other places around town). Anyone who gets busted there in the daytime - especially those that call CM home at least part of the year - is really guilty of stupidity. (OK, so I said before the OP was whining - now I've called him stupid - guilty!).

• Like 1

I didn't get busted. My friends did. I usually avoid the area, but on this occasion couldn't. Traffic cop was prob a bit miffed when I didn't stop after he waved me to the side of the kerb. Still he knows the next ATM will be on its way soon.

Applied for letter of residency today. Hopefully have a Thai license by next week. Then the cop thieves will know this ATM is out of order.