Cop thiefs on narawat bridge!

bangkok blue

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get busted. My friends did. I usually avoid the area, but on this occasion couldn't. Traffic cop was prob a bit miffed when I didn't stop after he waved me to the side of the kerb. Still he knows the next ATM will be on its way soon.

Applied for letter of residency today. Hopefully have a Thai license by next week. Then the cop thieves will know this ATM is out of order.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Do I understand correctly? A policeman told you (with hand signals) to pull over and you ignored his order and kept going? And I get the feeling that somehow you are proud of your actions...

I also get the feeling that you don't realize that your behavior is out of line. That you think it's OK to act this way.

Frankly, that's pretty sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears I'm not the only one who feels traffic police in Chiangmai are corrupt and dishonest!

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2838

No you are not the only one who feels that way.

But I think you are the only one to openly admit you have no respect for the law either and just continue on like it was below you. That you were better than it.

Let me ask you this question.

If you were blindsided in an accident by a Thai driver and a police officer witnessed it saw that you got any medical care you needed and wrote the offending Thai a ticket would you be here on the forum talking about how all the police are honest.

That happened to a friend of mine. Also I had to shell out 400 baht for my wife to take to the police station for not wearing her helmet. the cop would not take the 200 baht she offered.

No need to answer we all know your answer.

• Like 1

I never said ALL cops were dishonest, just the ones that try and extract money from people for anything possible for their own personal gain.

I never said I don't respect the law, I now have a Thai license. I dislike new laws, or tightening of existing laws abused by opportunist cops. Up until very recently it hadn't been an issue driving on a UK license. As discussed a 5 year Thai license is acceptable in UK for one year. IMHO the same should be reciprocated here. However it won't, because then the cops can't make any money.

I have no desire to be ripped off, just like this guy nearly was. It's technically the law to carry your passport on you at all times here. How many of us actually do that? Would you then say this guy was in the wrong for not paying the cop 1000bht?!

Graphic Designer, British male, 27:

"My experiences with the traffic police in Chiang Mai have been terrible. I could rant all day about that topic, but I’ll try not to.

My general feeling about the traffic cops are that they are looking for some pocket change. I would say the fine depends on two things: what the offence is, and how corrupt the officer is.

Usually, being fined for not wearing a helmet is 200 baht, but sometimes it’ll be 400 baht. One time, I had an officer ask me for 800 baht, and when I told him I wanted a ticket in Thai, he quickly retracted his demand.

I got pulled over the other day outside Central Festival Mall while wearing a helmet. The officer wanted my license, which I told him was at the bike rental shop while my own motorbike was being repaired. He then asked for my passport, which I said I don’t carry on me because I’m a permanent resident here – I keep it safe at home.

The police officer then tried to elicit a 1000 baht bribe. I got off my bike and told him firmly that I wouldn’t pay it, and that if it were a legal fine he would write me a ticket.

He then began ushering me off, saying, “Go, go! No money today, but you bad man!”

I also find it disappointing that all the cops I’ve met have such terrible English skills, even though I speak Thai. How do they deal with issues with non-Thai speakers? It’s just unprofessional."

Appears I'm not the only one who feels traffic police in Chiangmai are corrupt and dishonest!

It's amazing, in nearly 15 years I've never had to pay a Chiang Mai traffic policemen even a single satang.

Neither have I and been through the boys in brown at check point spots 100's of times in CM and all over Thailand.Not saying that some are not honest but seems to be an element of exaggeration in this thread.

........ It's technically the law to carry your passport on you at all times here. How many of us actually do that?

There is no 'technically' about it. It's the law. You are REQUIRED to carry it at all times. I think we are fortunate that 99.9% of the police are willing to accept a photo copy although in fact, we are breaking the law by trying to use one. I don't think it's asking too much of a person to carry a small piece of paper in their wallet or in their shoulder bag. But if you do NOT carry one or the other, that policeman SHOULD give you a ticket, or take you directly to the station house. Just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you are currently in the Kingdom legally. My wife and I always have a copy of the front page and a copy of the current visa with us AT ALL TIMES. Fits right into my wallet and never even notice it's there until I need it. Personally, I trim the paper's edges so I only carry the printed part... All that extra paper get's pretty heavy...

Would you then say this guy was in the wrong for not paying the cop 1000bht?!

No... I'd say that either;

... he had the misfortune of meeting a dishonest cop. Not everyone is honest. Say, have you ever taken extra time at lunch when you boss wasn't around and you could get away with it? (Stealing paid time from the boss.) Perhaps not reported some income once or twice on your tax returns because you decided it was too small to report? (Stealing from the government.) Maybe drive faster than the speed limit allows? Ever smoke a joint in a country where it wasn't permitted? Take a drink before you were legal age? We already KNOW that you had no qualms about breaking Thai law simply because you didn't agree with it. Do you feel that YOU are an honest person?

... or, he was just telling a good story.

I've met cops who would accept bribes. I've met politicians who would accept bribes. I've met teachers who would accept bribes. I've met store keepers who would accept bribes. I've met lawyers who would accept bribes. I've met clergy who would accept bribes. I've met... I've met... I've met... The world is full of people who are honest and people who are dishonest. You've already told us in which group you belong. I'll repeat something I've said before; there is an old adage about people who find themselves in holes, and digging...

• Like 1

It's amazing, in nearly 15 years I've never had to pay a Chiang Mai traffic policemen even a single satang.

Neither have I and been through the boys in brown at check point spots 100's of times in CM and all over Thailand.Not saying that some are not honest but seems to be an element of exaggeration in this thread.

You two obviousness don't respect the laws like some people do. LOL

I never said ALL cops were dishonest, just the ones that try and extract money from people for anything possible for their own personal gain.

I never said I don't respect the law, I now have a Thai license. I dislike new laws, or tightening of existing laws abused by opportunist cops. Up until very recently it hadn't been an issue driving on a UK license. As discussed a 5 year Thai license is acceptable in UK for one year. IMHO the same should be reciprocated here. However it won't, because then the cops can't make any money.

I have no desire to be ripped off, just like this guy nearly was. It's technically the law to carry your passport on you at all times here. How many of us actually do that? Would you then say this guy was in the wrong for not paying the cop 1000bht?!

Graphic Designer, British male, 27:

"My experiences with the traffic police in Chiang Mai have been terrible. I could rant all day about that topic, but I’ll try not to.

My general feeling about the traffic cops are that they are looking for some pocket change. I would say the fine depends on two things: what the offence is, and how corrupt the officer is.

Usually, being fined for not wearing a helmet is 200 baht, but sometimes it’ll be 400 baht. One time, I had an officer ask me for 800 baht, and when I told him I wanted a ticket in Thai, he quickly retracted his demand.

I got pulled over the other day outside Central Festival Mall while wearing a helmet. The officer wanted my license, which I told him was at the bike rental shop while my own motorbike was being repaired. He then asked for my passport, which I said I don’t carry on me because I’m a permanent resident here – I keep it safe at home.

The police officer then tried to elicit a 1000 baht bribe. I got off my bike and told him firmly that I wouldn’t pay it, and that if it were a legal fine he would write me a ticket.

He then began ushering me off, saying, “Go, go! No money today, but you bad man!”

I also find it disappointing that all the cops I’ve met have such terrible English skills, even though I speak Thai. How do they deal with issues with non-Thai speakers? It’s just unprofessional."

Check your title and tell us where it says there was an honest cop.

Now tge passport issue has cone up again. I have asked many times and no one has ever produced the law saying you must have your passport with you. Does anyone know where this law can be found?

I am just curious. I do have my passport with me at all times.

As discussed a 5 year Thai license is acceptable in UK for one year. IMHO the same should be reciprocated here. However it won't, because then the cops can't make any money.

You never told us whether you're here for more than 90 days at a time, nor whether you have an english language licence with photo. You are possibly already legal.

bangkok blue, on 13 Dec 2013 - 17:21, said:snapback.png

As discussed a 5 year Thai license is acceptable in UK for one year. IMHO the same should be reciprocated here. However it won't, because then the cops can't make any money.

I can appreciate that in your opinion there should be reciprocity regarding the licenses.

But there isn't.

So until you become a Thai citizen with voting rights to change the laws, why don't you just obey them and stop complaining like a little child.

• Like 2

A guy with 1000+ posts here knows what to expect from such a daft post so what's his point, I wonder? I love it, practically Every sentence has a ridiculous statement in it. One by one.....

It was a troll. The point of a troll is to provoke responses. Except for newbies, most can recognize a troll and know not to feed them.

........ It's technically the law to carry your passport on you at all times here. How many of us actually do that?

There is no 'technically' about it. It's the law. You are REQUIRED to carry it at all times. I think we are fortunate that 99.9% of the police are willing to accept a photo copy although in fact, we are breaking the law by trying to use one. I don't think it's asking too much of a person to carry a small piece of paper in their wallet or in their shoulder bag. But if you do NOT carry one or the other, that policeman SHOULD give you a ticket, or take you directly to the station house. Just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you are currently in the Kingdom legally. My wife and I always have a copy of the front page and a copy of the current visa with us AT ALL TIMES. Fits right into my wallet and never even notice it's there until I need it. Personally, I trim the paper's edges so I only carry the printed part... All that extra paper get's pretty heavy...

... he had the misfortune of meeting a dishonest cop. Not everyone is honest. Say, have you ever taken extra time at lunch when you boss wasn't around and you could get away with it? (Stealing paid time from the boss.) Perhaps not reported some income once or twice on your tax returns because you decided it was too small to report? (Stealing from the government.) Maybe drive faster than the speed limit allows? Ever smoke a joint in a country where it wasn't permitted? Take a drink before you were legal age? We already KNOW that you had no qualms about breaking Thai law simply because you didn't agree with it. Do you feel that YOU are an honest person?

I've met cops who would accept bribes. I've met politicians who would accept bribes. I've met teachers who would accept bribes. I've met store keepers who would accept bribes. I've met lawyers who would accept bribes. I've met clergy who would accept bribes. I've met... I've met... I've met... The world is full of people who are honest and people who are dishonest. You've already told us in which group you belong. I'll repeat something I've said before; there is an old adage about people who find themselves in holes, and digging...

And in 25 years of visiting Thailand I've never once been asked to produce my passport by a policeman. The law says passport, not copy, and I keep mine in my room safe when not needed for forex, etc.

Yet again milking all and sundry.

Indeed. xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

Earlier this year I got stopped at a checkpoint due to my pillion and I not wearing a helmet, and the corrupt officer there wouldn't allow me to pay the fine on the spot.

When I tried to give him the 400 Baht (and save myself a trip to station), he stepped back waving his hands as if I was trying to hand him hot coals. Endemic corruption, I tell ya!

Edited by Jose

And in 25 years of visiting Thailand I've never once been asked to produce my passport by a policeman. The law says passport, not copy, and I keep mine in my room safe when not needed for forex, etc.

I've been asked for my passport by police three of four times over the past 15 years, and they've always accepted the photo copy. While the law does read 'passport,' I guess they are bright enough to know that most people living here aren't going to be carrying it around, and that a photo copy gives them the information that they want to see. I guess if they 'need' an excuse to hassle someone, they could always use the lack of actual passport for that purpose. It's a law that I'm comfortable breaking, knowing that the police a comfortable accepting it. Sort of like driving 4-5 mph above the speed limit. That's breaking the law too... There are times when I've been required to show my actual passport, such as registering a car or motor scooter, getting my driver's licenses, etc., but we usually know about that sort of thing in advance and prepare for it.

Hello, FolkGuitar.

What law is it that says the passport must be on your person?

The Thai law. :)

OK, that's being factious, I know, but the fact is, I have no idea where one would look to find the specific paragraph in Thai law books to quote you the number, any easier than you could show me the number for the French law requiring a baguette to weigh a specific amount or the law in Pennsylvania that requires all men over the age of 16 to carry a rifle to church on Sundays. (Yes, that's still on the books from the days of the Indian Wars.)

Instead, let me suggest that you do a Google search, using as the search string 'Thai law carry passport' and see the hundreds of pages that inform tourists of the 'fact'. Some of these are from various Embassies and Consulates, others are from law offices, and others, perhaps less reliable, from travel agents. None of these state the book or paragraph number of the regulation. Personally, I accept the preponderance of anecdotal remarks as strong evidence suggesting it's valid. We've also heard from some folks here in other threads who were taken to the cop shop because they couldn't produce their passports or copies there of when requested by the police, and had to have wives/girlfriends/ roommates bring their passports down before they would be released.

• Like 1

Exactly. As I said, I always carry my passport. However, and also as I said, I have never seen any links to a law. Most of the pages that come up in an internet search are relevant to tourists, who normally would not have a local form of ID, i.e., a Thai driving license.

As for the Thal DL having a passport number on the back: that does not prove anr passport relevant info other than its number, which could have changed since issuance of the DL.

Hello, FolkGuitar.

What law is it that says the passport must be on your person?

The Thai law. smile.png

OK, that's being factious, I know, but the fact is, I have no idea where one would look to find the specific paragraph in Thai law books to quote you the number, any easier than you could show me the number for the French law requiring a baguette to weigh a specific amount or the law in Pennsylvania that requires all men over the age of 16 to carry a rifle to church on Sundays. (Yes, that's still on the books from the days of the Indian Wars.)

Instead, let me suggest that you do a Google search, using as the search string 'Thai law carry passport' and see the hundreds of pages that inform tourists of the 'fact'. Some of these are from various Embassies and Consulates, others are from law offices, and others, perhaps less reliable, from travel agents. None of these state the book or paragraph number of the regulation. Personally, I accept the preponderance of anecdotal remarks as strong evidence suggesting it's valid. We've also heard from some folks here in other threads who were taken to the cop shop because they couldn't produce their passports or copies there of when requested by the police, and had to have wives/girlfriends/ roommates bring their passports down before they would be released.

The length of your answer is an answer in itself.