Tourist Visa extention 30 days, possible?

Hi

I am currently staying on koh chang, having a month left on my vacation.

I heard that now it's possible to get a 30 day reentry visa (being resident of one of the G7s countries).

Could I also get a 30 day visa extention at an immigration office in bkk or chiang mai?

If not, does anybody has experience of the visa run options from koh chang/trat vs. from chiang mai with resp. to time and costs?

Thanks a lot

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you have a real tourist visa from a Thai consulate (60 days) you can extend it at any immigration office. If you have a visa exempt entry (30 days) and travelled to Thailand without a visa, you can not extend it. You must leave the country and can return the same day/hour for another 30 days.

• Like 2

Thank you Mario for that quick response.

I am on a visa on arrival. So I will do a visa run :(

Does anybody could advice if the procedure is better done from koh chang or from chiqng mai where I am heading to in a couple of days.

Thanks Joe, really much appreciated.

My current visa is valid for 20 days.

It seems that the foreign visa costs are half at a Burma crossing. 500b vs 1000b ?

I might spend that savings on a motorbike rent in chiang mai and do a trip up north to get my stamp there.

Cheers

"I am on a visa on arrival"

Nope, you entered on a visa waiver (aka visa exempt). Not the same as visa on arrival.

You may think that's nit-picking but it's a different situation with somewhat different rules.

Out of curiosity... so I am currently staying in los visa free on that said waiver. Then I actually don't have to do a visa run. It's technically more a waiver run ... or is that just nitpicking? ;)

• Like 1

whistling.gif If you are on a visa exempt entry (you got a 30 day stamp on entry at the airport) it can not be extended.

But you can get another visa exempt entry the same way as you got the first one. You can exit the country, and then re-enter to get another visa exempt entry.

HOWEVER, be aware that an entry by AIR will get you another 30 days. but an OVERLAND entry will only get you only 14 days.

So if you want another month it will have to be a flight back into Thailand to get it.

That's the difference between entering Thailand by air and doing a border crossing overland. (or by ship... that's considered to be 'overland" also).

Right now there is no limit in how many visa exempt entries you can do ..... but expect the immigration to start asking questions after 3 or 4 entries back to back as to why you need to do that.

They will become suspicious that you are not a legitimate tourist and suspect you may be working here illegally.

Fir that reason, if you want to stay longer, it would be wise to get at least a single entry tourist visa from one of the neighboring countries in the Thai consulate there.

A single entry tourist visa will give you a 60 day entry and can be extended in Thailand fpr anpther 30 days for a fee of 1900 Baht for the extension.

So a single entry tourist visa would get you a 90 day stay .... 60 on entry and a 30 day extension in Thailand.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif If you are on a visa exempt entry (you got a 30 day stamp on entry at the airport) it can not be extended.

But you can get another visa exempt entry the same way as you got the first one. You can exit the country, and then re-enter to get another visa exempt entry.

HOWEVER, be aware that an entry by AIR will get you another 30 days. but an OVERLAND entry will only get you only 14 days.

So if you want another month it will have to be a flight back into Thailand to get it.

That's the difference between entering Thailand by air and doing a border crossing overland. (or by ship... that's considered to be 'overland" also).

Right now there is no limit in how many visa exempt entries you can do ..... but expect the immigration to start asking questions after 3 or 4 entries back to back as to why you need to do that.

They will become suspicious that you are not a legitimate tourist and suspect you may be working here illegally.

Fir that reason, if you want to stay longer, it would be wise to get at least a single entry tourist visa from one of the neighboring countries in the Thai consulate there.

A single entry tourist visa will give you a 60 day entry and can be extended in Thailand fpr anpther 30 days for a fee of 1900 Baht for the extension.

So a single entry tourist visa would get you a 90 day stay .... 60 on entry and a 30 day extension in Thailand.

he comes from a G7 country

• Like 2

Posted Image If you are on a visa exempt entry (you got a 30 day stamp on entry at the airport) it can not be extended.

You should go back and read the OP and subsequent posts. He is aware that under the new rules that he will get a 30 day entry at a border and it will be enough to complete his holiday.

You just wasted a lot of time making a post with a lot of unneeded and confusing info.

• Like 2

You should go back and read the OP and subsequent posts. He is aware that under the new rules that he will get a 30 day entry at a border and it will be enough to complete his holiday.

You just wasted a lot of time making a post with a lot of unneeded and confusing info.

"...but an OVERLAND entry will only get you only 14 days."

No.

"You just wasted a lot of time making a post with a lot of unneeded and confusing info."

... unneeded, confusing and incorrect info.

• Like 1

Just wait until a new 30 day visa exempt entry gives you enough time for the remainder of your planned stay. Entry to Myanmar is 500 baht or a crisp new $10 bill.

U mean that they still accept Dollars even in Myanmar?

Yes

Cambodia and Laos also.

These are great news :)

..as my overall time in los is 36 days.

Is it possible to concatenate those extra days anytime whilst my stay, or do I need to apply for them on the very end of the 30's?

Where can I go to for that option and how muvh may it cost?

Thank you so much!

Does that mean one have to queue up for a whole day to get things sorted? Why should they deny it?

Is there a list of places where to get this done? ...I don't know quite now where I might be at day 29.

Considering the options, an overstay would be one of them. But this would be my last choice, as it would cost me 3000b and another ugly remark in my passport - in addition to the one from 2011. For now a borderrun to Burma sounds to be the best option.

Does that mean one have to queue up for a whole day to get things sorted? Why should they deny it?

You fill out a TM7 and ask if you can stay which is denied for everyone on a visa exempt. As another member pointed out, it just seems like a 7 day extension but is actually a 7 day grace period to give you time to pack your bags and go.

Don't do an overstay.

• Like 1

Is there a list of places where to get this done? ...I don't know quite now where I might be at day 29.

Considering the options, an overstay would be one of them. But this would be my last choice, as it would cost me 3000b and another ugly remark in my passport - in addition to the one from 2011. For now a borderrun to Burma sounds to be the best option.

The denial is because there no extension in the rules for a visa exempt entry. The 7 days to leave is normall for any denied application.

Chiang Mai immigration is very busy unless you go there early morning you might not have your number called until late in the day.

A border run would be the best choice and you can do it at any time now up to the day your current entry ends. It could even end up costing less than the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

It could even end up costing less than the extension.

For sure. Costs me 1900 Baht to get picked up from my house and taken to Malaysia and back. Costs me 1920 for a 30 day extension but I have to pay to get to the immigration office and back. Samui immigration charge an additional 20 Baht for photocopies etc. 1 picture and a completed TM7 is all that is required and takes around 90 minutes.

Trat has a quick border run. Its a fairly simple border crossing with lots of transportation. Why not spend a few days in Sihanoukville? If you don't like that, just cross over and come back.

I done the Mae Sai once, thats quite a ride from Chiang Mai.

Just got a 30 day deal crossing over in Nong Khai. Thats always a simple pleasure, as I live only 40 minutes away in Udon. I leave here at 0630, leave the vehicle on the Thai Side, get stamped in and out in one hour, and back for breakfast in Nong Khai.

Done 4 other land borders, and also Ranong to burma...... interesting boat ride. After we got stamped back in, took the ferry to Koh Phayam and we loved it. Full moon, but no parties. Night time looked like day. Had a nice scooter on their minature road system (more like a paved path).

Mae Sai.....blah.

• Like 1

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht. Takes most of the day to make the round trip. It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days. If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht.  Takes most of the day to make the round trip.  It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days.  If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

The OP only has a 30 visa exempt entry and will get a new 30 day entry instead of 15 days because he qualifies under the new rules.

Was the 7 day number you wrote an error or what you think it is?

• Like 1

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht. Takes most of the day to make the round trip. It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days. If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

The OP only has a 30 visa exempt entry and will get a new 30 day entry instead of 15 days because he qualifies under the new rules.

I guess I am wrong but I thought if you got a 30-day exempt visa upon flying into Thailand then you could only get a 15 extension if you made a visa run. Is it possible to get a 30 day extension if you entered on a 60-day tourist visa by making a visa run? If so,why spend the 1900 baht to go to Immigration and get a 30-day extension from them?

I heard someone say the rules had been changed but I thought it was BS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Butting in here, but I've also heard about the 7-day extension (or grace period, or whatever). Not exactly as described above, but instead as in another earlier post. I've never done it myself, but seen it in another's passport. It's actually a "denial" ( of an extension request on a 30d visa exempt entry, which the rules don't provide for) so you get a 7-day grace period to leave. I've heard it can be up to a 15-day grace period, but that almost never happens. 'Have ALSO heard even the 7 days are COMPLETELY at the immigration officer's discretion, and not necessarily something to be depended upon. Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1