Tourist Visa extention 30 days, possible?

Trat has a quick border run. Its a fairly simple border crossing with lots of transportation. Why not spend a few days in Sihanoukville? If you don't like that, just cross over and come back.

I done the Mae Sai once, thats quite a ride from Chiang Mai.

Just got a 30 day deal crossing over in Nong Khai. Thats always a simple pleasure, as I live only 40 minutes away in Udon. I leave here at 0630, leave the vehicle on the Thai Side, get stamped in and out in one hour, and back for breakfast in Nong Khai. 

Done 4 other land borders, and also Ranong to burma......  interesting boat ride. After we got stamped back in, took the ferry to Koh Phayam and we loved it. Full moon, but no parties. Night time looked like day. Had a nice scooter on their minature road system (more like a paved path).

Mae Sai.....blah.

Very helpful. Thanks.

I was in snooky last year and liked it pretty much. I intended to stay there for only one day as a gateway to koh rong. But I lasted for a whole week :). If I do that border after koh chang, I wouldn't have to worry about my "visa" for the rest of my stay.

Nong khai sounds good, so I may spend some days throughout some places in isaan (on my list for two years). How much is it for the border run into laos?

With regards to mai sae...

Is the ride from cm up there as scenic and fun as the route to pai? Would consider this to be a nice option for my waiver extention and might stop for night in chiang rai.

Ranong would suit me too, as I probably go to koh tao at the end of my holiday.

Too many options, but overstaying and applying for an extension (which seems not feasible as I know now) is canceled out. Just don't want to spend to much time or money on a bad option.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

New Rules for Visa on Arrival

30-day Visas now Down to 15

aboutect31.jpg

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days.

According to a spokesman for the Thai Immigration Bureau, the new regulation was created to encourage foreigners to secure the proper visas in advance from a Royal Thai Embassy prior to their arrival. The new rule will also limit the amount of back-to-back visa runs being made by foreigners to extend their stay.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival. Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival. The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped.

passport1.jpg

Beyond 90 Days

Visitors can now enjoy Thailand more

A dose of good news awaits tourists—following the new regulation set by Thai Immigration, visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period.

The restriction has already been abolished so tourists can now visit Thailand as often as they want, provided that they obtain 30 day Visa on Arrival at airports and 15 day Visa on Arrival if they are traveling via land borders.

However, immigration officials still recommend getting visas prior to arrival in Thailand, as they remind visitors that back-to-back short visas are not the proper way to extend the stay in the country on a long-term basis.

This new regulation is predicted to greatly benefit travel agencies as more border trips are expected to be booked with the increased influx of tourists eager to renew their visas.

This is the information that came from http://www.thaiembassy.com. As I understand this you can only get a 15 day extension on a border crossing visa run. Is it possible to get 30-days now?

• Like 1

Members of G7 countries now get 30 days at border crossings.

The 90 days in 6 months requirement went some years ago, it also calls visa exemptions 'visa on arrival' which is something completely different.

Also note the copyright notice:-

Copyright © 2000-2013 ThaiEmbassy.com. This is not the official website of the Thai Embassy. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht. Takes most of the day to make the round trip. It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days. If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

The OP only has a 30 visa exempt entry and will get a new 30 day entry instead of 15 days because he qualifies under the new rules.

Was the 7 day number you wrote an error or what you think it is?

I guess I am wrong but I thought if you got a 30-day exempt visa upon flying into Thailand then you could only get a 15 extension if you made a visa run. Is it possible to get a 30 day extension if you entered on a 60-day tourist visa by making a visa run? If so,why spend the 1900 baht to go to Immigration and get a 30-day extension from them?

I heard someone say the rules had been changed but I thought it was BS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

It's a new entry not an extension. Extensions are only done at immigration.

New 30 day rule for visa exempt entry at border only applies to those from G-7 countries.

For a single entry tourist or the last entry for a 2/3 entry it might be OK for some to a do a 30 entry but for most it would be less costly and easier to go to immigration. Plus you would have to do it on the last day to get 30 days.

Topic about 30 day entries here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/679721-Good-news-for-holders-of-UK,-USA,-Japan,-Germany,-France,-Canada-and-Italy

Edited by ubonjoe

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht.  Takes most of the day to make the round trip.  It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days.  If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

The OP only has a 30 visa exempt entry and will get a new 30 day entry instead of 15 days because he qualifies under the new rules.

Butting in here, but I've also heard about the 7-day extension (or grace period, or whatever). Not exactly as described above, but instead as in another earlier post. I've never done it myself, but seen it in another's passport. It's actually a "denial" ( of an extension request on a 30d visa exempt entry, which the rules don't provide for) so you get a 7-day grace period to leave. I've heard it can be up to a 15-day grace period, but that almost never happens. 'Have ALSO heard even the 7 days are COMPLETELY at the immigration officer's discretion, and not necessarily something to be depended upon.
It is not a grace period it is 7 days to leave the country for a denied extension. A grace period means something entirely different. There is no 15 days ever. I have not heard of one being denied for a very long time.

A mini-van from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai will cost 600 baht. Takes most of the day to make the round trip. It will cost you 500 baht to cross the border into Myanmar and get stamped into/out of Myanmar then when you cross the border you will get 7 days. If you have a 60-day tourist visa it would be more cost effective to pay the 1900 baht at an Immigration Office and get a 30 day extension.

Butting in here, but I've also heard about the 7-day extension (or grace period, or whatever). Not exactly as described above, but instead as in another earlier post. I've never done it myself, but seen it in another's passport. It's actually a "denial" ( of an extension request on a 30d visa exempt entry, which the rules don't provide for) so you get a 7-day grace period to leave. I've heard it can be up to a 15-day grace period, but that almost never happens. 'Have ALSO heard even the 7 days are COMPLETELY at the immigration officer's discretion, and not necessarily something to be depended upon.
It is not a grace period it is 7 days to leave the country for a denied extension. A grace period means something entirely different. There is no 15 days ever. I have not heard of one being denied for a very long time.

Practically speaking, it's a grace period, i.e., 7 days in the form of a new 7-day stamp in one's passport. "Grace Period" not the right technical term for it if you say so. 'Don't know the right technical term. If not an "extension" and not a grace period, what would be the correct term for us to be using?

• Like 1

Thank you all for your very helpful answes. Now I know many things better :)

To conclude what I got out of it all:

- Coming to los by air as a resident of most western countries, one is allowed to stay for 30 days on the waiver, which is NOT a visa.

- from early November 2013, residents of a G7 country are given a new 30 day staying allowance at any land boarder too

- this visa exempt entry permission cannot be expanded at an immigration office.

- one on a waiver may get 7 additional days to leave the country by paying 1900b at an immigration office, which (in cm) is time consuming and only feasible at the end of the granted 30 days.

- the border exit costs are 500b into Myanmar (? days) and 1000b into Cambodia (30 day tourist) and ?b into laos (? days) and I think it's free for most people to western people to get into Malaysia?

- the rule that you can not stay in los for more than 90 days within 6m is not longer active

- the website thaiembassy.com should not be consulted for up to date thai visa information

- do not overstay (...)

Cheers -max

• Like 1

It is difficult to decide what to call these extra seven days being allowed to stay when an application for extension is denied. I have never seen this stamp and would be grateful if somebody scanned and posted it so that I may add it to my album and refer to it when necessary. I guess it says something like "Application for extension denied. Passport holder must leave the Kingdom not later than <date>"

Incidentally, these "denied-application extra seven days allowed to stay" are mentioned in Police Order 777/2551 as follows:

4. In the case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date following the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

Strictly speaking, it is not an extension of stay, but it allows me to extend my stay by seven days without going on overstay.

Lao visa fee varies by country. For many it is 1500 baht or $35. You get a 30 day entry.

$36 dollars for me, two days ago. I might have got fleeced for a buck, Bring crisp new bills. I forgot the cost in Cambodia.

Trat is very cheap from the bus station, but I came through the border from Cambodia (flew in and think I paid for a visa..)

The cost of the bus to the border is not worth mentioning.... probably 50 to 100 baht. You could get a sontaew for a bit more, or even a van from one of the guest houses. I liked the one German guest house on the river in Trat.... Riesling...I think. Nice family run guesthouse with plenty of sitting room downstairs. Nice, quiet town with a few hangouts to sip a beer and relax. Nothing special, but a good nights sleep for a very good price.

• Like 1

It is difficult to decide what to call these extra seven days being allowed to stay when an application for extension is denied. I have never seen this stamp and would be grateful if somebody scanned and posted it so that I may add it to my album and refer to it when necessary. I guess it says something like "Application for extension denied. Passport holder must leave the Kingdom not later than <date>"

Incidentally, these "denied-application extra seven days allowed to stay" are mentioned in Police Order 777/2551 as follows:

4. In the case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date following the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

Strictly speaking, is not an extension of stay, but it allows me to extend my stay by seven days without going on overstay.

A grace period is the only terminology in the English language which comes close and is in fact very accurate. Could turn up at immigration on your last day only to be told you have to leave in 6 hours for example. Instead of that you are told to conclude your activities, pay your bills and get out of Dodge. In all manner, it is 7 days grace.

Lao visa fee varies by country. For many it is 1500 baht or $35. You get a 30 day entry.

$36 dollars for me, two days ago. I might have got fleeced for a buck, Bring crisp new bills. I forgot the cost in Cambodia. 

Trat is very cheap from the bus station, but I came through the border from Cambodia (flew in and think I paid for a visa..)

The cost of the bus to the border is not worth mentioning.... probably 50  to 100 baht. You could get a sontaew for a bit more, or even a van from one of the guest houses. I liked the one German guest house on the river in Trat....  Riesling...I think. Nice family run guesthouse with plenty of sitting room downstairs. Nice, quiet town with a few hangouts to sip a beer and relax. Nothing special, but a good nights sleep for a very good price. 

Was it late or a weekend when you got your Lao visa. They charge extra for overtime.

The cost of the bus to the border is not worth mentioning.... probably 50 to 100 baht. You could get a sontaew for a bit more, or even a van from one of the guest houses. I liked the one German guest house on the river in Trat.... Riesling...I think. Nice family run guesthouse with plenty of sitting room downstairs. Nice, quiet town with a few hangouts to sip a beer and relax. Nothing special, but a good nights sleep for a very good price.

Was it late or a weekend when you got your Lao visa. They charge extra for overtime.

Yes..Saturday. I suppose thats why.

Thank you all for your very helpful answes. Now I know many things better :)

To conclude what I got out of it all:

- Coming to los by air as a resident of most western countries, one is allowed to stay for 30 days on the waiver, which is NOT a visa.

- from early November 2013, residents of a G7 country are given a new 30 day staying allowance at any land boarder too

- this visa exempt entry permission cannot be expanded at an immigration office.

- one on a waiver may get 7 additional days to leave the country by paying 1900b at an immigration office, which (in cm) is time consuming and only feasible at the end of the granted 30 days.

- the border exit costs are 500b into Myanmar (? days) and 1000b into Cambodia (30 day tourist) and ?b into laos (? days) and I think it's free for most people to western people to get into Malaysia?

- the rule that you can not stay in los for more than 90 days within 6m is not longer active

- the website thaiembassy.com should not be consulted for up to date thai visa information

- do not overstay (...)

Cheers -max

If it were me, I believe I would rewrite as follows:

- "exemption" rather than "waiver" (knitpicking)

- "permission to stay" vs "allowance" (even more knitpicky)

- on a 30d permission to stay (resulting from visa exempt status at entry), you can go to an immigration office, pay 1900B, request an extension (as you would for a 60d tourist visa...), be denied (since you aren't ON a tourist visa), and then get a new permission-to-stay stamp good for 7 days beyond your existing permission-to-stay date (call that what you will)

I would add that the 7d ???-period is reportedly discretionary with the immigration officer ( so be nice...).

I have seen one of these 7-day stamps, but wasn't duly diligent with respect to noting the details (a few beers will do that). I seem to remember that it looked almost just like a regular 30d stamp but with in/out dates only 7d apart, but I also seem to remember the word "disapproved" somewhere... Others in the crowd remarked that this was truly no big deal, as long as you weren't otherwise pissing off the immigration officer.

Strictly speaking, it is not an extension of stay, but it allows me to extend my stay by seven days without going on overstay.

I posted a scan of my "7 day non-extension" in this post. Unfortunately, it's not the clearest stamp, and it was obtained back in 2009.

Sophon

I posted a scan of my "7 day non-extension" in this post. Unfortunately, it's not the clearest stamp, and it was obtained back in 2009.

Sophon

Thank you, Sophon. Don't know how I missed that earlier. Most kind of you to have recalled it to my attention. Now added to my album here, giving you credit with a link to your post.