What's in it for Me?

Curt1591

As an American, with the exception of some local elections and measures, I am quite used to voting for the choice I dislike the least. But, in most cases, I'm drawn between candidates that, at least, have stated platforms, whether BS or not.

Without mentioning "Thaksin", "Red Shirts", "PTP", or any other such distraction, can anyone tell me what the Democrat Party of Thailand actually stands for, .. just what is their platform?

Seriously; all I know is that they stand in opposition. That's all well and good. But, "opposition", in and of itself, doesn't really offer much to voters. Abhisit, himself, alluded to this in a recent interview.

So, standing on their own merits, why should we vote for the Democratic party?

Whats in it for you? ?....

Absolutely nothing, you are not Thai, you cant vote !

Yes; this is obvious. Probably the biggest proportion of the people "in favor" of the democrats, on this forum, can't vote.

But, can you point out any fine points to the Democrat's platform?

Now, notice I put "in favor" in quotes. I understand that being against one thing, does not necessarily make one for something else. Such an assumption is an error in judgement.

Yes; this is obvious. Probably the biggest proportion of the people "in favor" of the democrats, on this forum, can't vote.

Now, notice I put "in favor" in quotes. I understand that being against one thing, does not necessarily make one for something else. Such an assumption is an error in judgement.

Probably the biggest proportion of the people "in favor" of the democrats, on this forum,

Despite the fact, the biggest propotion either dont live here or are posting from some back of beyond backwater in Nakon Nowhere, they believe whatever their Chula educated HiSo Chinese wife tells them.

Probably the biggest proportion of the people "in favor" of the democrats, on this forum,

Despite the fact, the biggest propotion either dont live here or are posting from some back of beyond backwater in Nakon Nowhere, they believe whatever their Chula educated HiSo Chinese wife tells them.

I think that's a little unfair.

While Curt could have phrased his question a little better, he does raise a valid point, which I think has been argued many times before. But it can't hurt to hear others' opinions. It seems the Dems have never had a proper policy platform beyond the usual political rhetoric about improving the lot of the poor and making the country wealthy. In the 2011 election, it promised to increase the minimum wage by 25%. Hardly a platform.

A quote I found from some scholar on the internet:

Party platforms are notable for their absence of distinctive ideological or national policy content.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ahicken/index_files/stuck.pdf

• Like 2

Seems to me the Abhisit party platform has been to oppose the Democrat/Thaksin party - in all ways, at all times. They threw the country into turmoil which resulted in Thaksin being removed from power, then have done nothing but oppose the present regime under the sister. I'm not sure what they stand for.

It cuts both ways.

Seems to me the Abhisit party platform has been to oppose the Democrat/Thaksin party - in all ways, at all times. They threw the country into turmoil which resulted in Thaksin being removed from power, then have done nothing but oppose the present regime under the sister. I'm not sure what they stand for.

It cuts both ways.

Might have been a typo but Abhisit is the Democrat leader, not an opponent of it. The Democrats are the opposing party to the side funded and controlled by Thaksin.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Good morning!

Glad to see this hasn't degenrated into a flame fest. It wasn't meant to piss off anyone. It was meant to make people think.

We just read that the " ... Democrats are the opposing party to the side funded and controlled by Thaksin."

In the States, we all know that nasty corporations and institutions fund and control the US Republicans. But, few acknowledge that the US Democrats are simply funded and controlled by other corporations and financially interested institutions.

Here's a bonus question to ponder: Who funds and controls the Thai Democratic Party ?

• Like 1

Who funds and controls the Dems? Big business, which tends to have a foot in both camps. That's on a party level. On an individual level, many established members fund themselves, having built up a war chest over the years through graft. Newer members, if they don't have family backing or a patron, are mostly funded by the party through the "bagman" - the secretary general, who is always extremely wealthy himself. I know the family which controls a certain department store chain and a certain chicken plucking family are big benefactors of the Dems. Ergo, they have a lot of say in dictating policies when the Dems are in power. Same as in other democracies, I guess - be democratic, let big business run your life. :) Over and above everything, so the rumours go, is the omniscience of the Chinese Thais, the real financial power. The highest institution has influence, of course, but no actual control.

"What's in it for me?"

I went to a red shirt rally, someone handed me 200bht and a bottle of water.

So 200bht was in it for me ....... RESULT!

PS

I've also been to an American rally for blah blah (sorry can't remember what side), they gave me a steak dinner, not so different really.

Edited by FiftyTwo

It seems to me none of the parties have any long term platform, they simply make up populist policies as they go.

Anyway, personally I think it is better to support someone with no platform, than someone whose platform is ruining the country

The 'ruining the country', this country, and most others, is being orchestrated by powers far greater than these clowns. For politicians, coming up with little policies is how they get to snatch their share of it. Eventually, we will all work for, and buy from, the company. Members of "The Party" will be the ones with additional choices. It's not a communist conspiracy; it's a capitalist conspiracy!

If you look at the USA, the poster child of 'democracy', you might notice that most current legislation, being proposed and passed, is meant to make citizens more dependent on the government. This is usually done with 'populist' platforms and fear tactics.

In the States, one should be able to realize that these clowns are simply putting on a show. At the end of the day, they hang out together and divide up the money.

However, in Thailand, one gets the impression that these people actually do hate each other.

But, in this current episode, of Thai theater, What is the Democrat's platform?