Many females want to be fair skin. Why are they so Prejudice? Or are they?

quiuvo

I was told that in addition to beauty it is also about status. White skin is associated with education and high status, skin made black under the sun implies working class. I am not wholly sure if that is the case. For me the beauty of Thai people lays under the skin.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The premise of your op is flawed. Only white people can be predudiced, bigots or racists. For any other race color or creed it's cultural differances.

Agree that the premise is flawed - personally desiring white skin, or personally choosing only bedmates isn't racism.

However nothing to do with the skin color of the racist, serious discrimination (job, housing, lending etc) is wrong no matter the perpetrator.

A bit boring this fair skin case in TV. You are mostly western people with white skin. Why do you care at all this BST chinese media circus ??? They have only this "value" so they talk about this all day all night. And you, like a sheep follow then.

Edited by sbk
racial slur removed

• 4 months later...

The obsession with whiteness here is amazing. On most of the soaps, the ones who live in the 50 million baht homes are always pasty white. Like casper the friendly ghost.I always tell my thai girlfriend repeat after me- Black is beautiful, white is bad. She thinks I am nuts. They just do not get it. I cannot believe the number of stunning, dark skinned women here, who think they are ugly because of their gorgeous, cocoa colored skin. If only they knew the truth! I think a great business model is the "Chocolate Bar". Hire dark skinned girls only. I would love to see the look on a beautiful light skinned girls face, when you told her she cannot work there because her skin is too light. I love the very concept.

whistling.gif Traditionally Thai females want to be fair complexioned.

This comes from the old belief that those whose families are dark ("dam") had ancestors who where farm workers that worked in the fields and therefore had 'dark" children.

The belief is that the Sun caused their children to be darker than those of higher social status and class who did not have to work in the fields as laborers.

Those who are fair skinned did not have ancestors who worked in the fields.

All this is scientific nonsense, with no basis in fact, but is a common belief among many Thais.

So Thai women want to be fair skinned, which shows the higher status of their ancestors and their families prestige in the past.

This is not limited is not limited to Thais ..... it is a common prejudice in South East Asia.

White or fair skin is associated with a higher social status and darker skin is associated with farmers or laborers in your ancestors heritage,

The preference for "fair skin" as being "higher class" (wealthier) is a common one in Southeast Asia.

It is interpreted as meaning that your ancestors were those being served and pampered, and not doing the serving back then.

It comes from the Colonial days, when being "dark" was interpreted as "having a bit of the tar brush" in your ancestry.... as the imperial British spoke of it, in the days of the British Empire.

whistling.gif

The obsession with whiteness here is amazing. On most of the soaps, the ones who live in the 50 million baht homes are always pasty white. Like casper the friendly ghost.I always tell my thai girlfriend repeat after me- Black is beautiful, white is bad. She thinks I am nuts. They just do not get it. I cannot believe the number of stunning, dark skinned women here, who think they are ugly because of their gorgeous, cocoa colored skin. If only they knew the truth! I think a great business model is the "Chocolate Bar". Hire dark skinned girls only. I would love to see the look on a beautiful light skinned girls face, when you told her she cannot work there because her skin is too light. I love the very concept.

beauty is a relative term. why is your idea of beauty any more "truth" than theirs?

This comes from the old belief that those whose families are dark ("dam") had ancestors who where farm workers that worked in the fields and therefore had 'dark" children.

The belief is that the Sun caused their children to be darker than those of higher social status and class who did not have to work in the fields as laborers.

All this is scientific nonsense, with no basis in fact, but is a common belief among many Thais.

So Thai women want to be fair skinned, which shows the higher status of their ancestors and their families prestige in the past.

This is not limited is not limited to Thais ..... it is a common prejudice in South East Asia.

White or fair skin is associated with a higher social status and darker skin is associated with farmers or laborers in your ancestors heritage,

The preference for "fair skin" as being "higher class" (wealthier) is a common one in Southeast Asia.

It is interpreted as meaning that your ancestors were those being served and pampered, and not doing the serving back then.

It comes from the Colonial days, when being "dark" was interpreted as "having a bit of the tar brush" in your ancestry.... as the imperial British spoke of it, in the days of the British Empire.

whistling.gif

My thinking is that loving ones self for what we were born with is closer to the "truth", than wanting to be someone else. Of course there is basis in what they believe. But love thyself. Especially when thyself is beautiful and you just cannot see it due to societal and cultural programming.

Spidermike007

whistling.gif

My thinking is that loving ones self for what we were born with is closer to the "truth", than wanting to be someone else. Of course there is basis in what they believe. But love thyself. Especially when thyself is beautiful and you just cannot see it due to societal and cultural programming.

Spidermike007

love thyself? a lot easier said than done pal

whistling.gif

Spidermike007

lol!!