Bird Problem

just_Elaine

We are having trouble with birds pooping all over the balcony. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations with solving this problem?

I found a writeup on the topic and they mentioned something called bird spikes. Is it possible to get bird spikes in Chiang Mai? If so, where? Are they really ugly?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once lived in Galae Thong condo and the balcony had what appeared to be fishing net around the outside, thus preventing pidgeons and the like from landing and leaving their 'calling card'. It worked well and did not detract from the overall view.

Might be an option for you? Ive never heard of bird spikes and wouldnt like to accidently put my hand on them...if they are as they sound!

Bird spikes these days tend to be made of a plastic with a strip of them glued or screwed in position to prevent the birds form roosting. We have a spike on each of our helipad landing lights for that same reason. Owls as mentioned and other birds of prey models apparently work for a time, I believe you can get a solar powered owl with a moving head! Rentokil apparently came up with a Capsicum paste that is painted on where the bids roost. Apparently once they get some on their bum they try and find friendlier roosting spots. Or of course you can get a good gas powered BB (thats tiny plastic/ceramic balls) pistol which is legal. That worked for me, the pigeons still have not roosted on the bedroom window ledge a year on!

• Like 2

We've just moved (purchased) into a place that was vacant for 2 years. we had a few bucket of bird shit to clean u (fun job).

anyway we spend 100 baht on cable/nail thing and 500 baht on fishing netting and strung it up. problem solved.

Paul

• Like 1

My neighbors tried hanging owls, birds, ribbons, wind chimes with some success. I bought a few battery operated motion sensors that make sharp bird chirps (also available with ding-dong and sawadee sounds but not recommended). You've probably heard door entry sounds aat 7-11. I double-sided taped them to areas on the balcony where the most poop was. The big birds (pigeons and doves) don't like the noise and it was an instant success. The doves are smart and they learn to find other places to roost and cuddle with their mate so I had to move them around. For the most part it was a success. I don't see as much poop anymore. Side affect: these little boxes (selling for about ฿100 and hard to find) are sensitive to bright flashes and sound off in a lightening storm. Good Luck.

Best idea yet, get a few colorful FAKE snakes. Move them around every few days. Works for me.

That's clever!

Also if you have fake snakes around then stash one in the bottom of the dirty laundry hamper and let the GF or maid find it.

Okay that is a little bit cruel since a lot of them grew up on farms and hard wired to recoil and scream.

So any recommendations on where to buy some quality fake snakes in CM? I need to add to my meager collection.

• Like 1

The snakes etc work for a while but pigeons are smart and soon realise they are being fooled. The only thing that works is to physically stop them roosting. If they roost on the balcony rail screw an eyelet into the wall either end of the rail and stretch a thin wire taut between the eyelets about 5 cms above the rail.

Bird spikes come in different versions but the kind resembling a nylon hairbrush works well, in fact, that's what I used with the gandles cut off a brushes glued tobthe railing bristles up.

• Like 1

I read somewhere recently that those mirrored disco balls seem to work quite well in keeping birds away. They don't like the glittering flashes of light.

As already suggested shinny CD's waving in the breeze also work so you could try a couple of those first.

biggrin.png

The snakes etc work for a while but pigeons are smart and soon realise they are being fooled. The only thing that works is to physically stop them roosting. If they roost on the balcony rail screw an eyelet into the wall either end of the rail and stretch a thin wire taut between the eyelets about 5 cms above the rail.

Bird spikes come in different versions but the kind resembling a nylon hairbrush works well, in fact, that's what I used with the gandles cut off a brushes glued tobthe railing bristles up.

anyone in Chiang Mai know where to get the bird spikes? I've got 3 amorous pigeons settling in above where I hang the laundry! It's 2 stories up, and somewhat hard to reach.

I'll have to talk to our local plumber.

Move. But seriously, at my room, one of the reasons I moved here is because they had a criss cross plastic across the opening of the balcony. Kind of ruins the view but I can only see buildings anyway and in 2 years never had any bird poop on it, just black sooty crap from all the horrid crap floating in the atmosphere....

No time to read all the posts and somebody has probably already mentioned that a helium filled mylar balloon, especially if it has large spots resembling eyes on it, has proven 100% effective in keeping them away. Good luck trying to find such a balloon in Thailand. It is reasonalbe to expect that a regular helium balloon with eyes drawn on it would work but such balloons lose the helium faster.

My neighbors tried hanging owls, birds, ribbons, wind chimes with some success. I bought a few battery operated motion sensors that make sharp bird chirps (also available with ding-dong and sawadee sounds but not recommended). You've probably heard door entry sounds aat 7-11. I double-sided taped them to areas on the balcony where the most poop was. The big birds (pigeons and doves) don't like the noise and it was an instant success. The doves are smart and they learn to find other places to roost and cuddle with their mate so I had to move them around. For the most part it was a success. I don't see as much poop anymore. Side affect: these little boxes (selling for about ฿100 and hard to find) are sensitive to bright flashes and sound off in a lightening storm. Good Luck.

The two sounds that work are a loud boom or the sceech of a hawk. Seen both work but the helium balloons are 100% and simple.

scarecrow is your answer....you must have some old clothes?

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

just get one of those homless farang we keep seeing in the news to sit on your balcony and be a scarecrow, he gets free lodgings and you get rid of the your bird poo problem. Oh.. just realised that then you would have ฝรั่ขี้นก on your balcony instead...

• Like 1

joking aside i have seen one guy hang a CD or could be a DVD and all so a DVD case from his balcony ceiling, both objects are just hanging on string, at first i could not understand what they were there for but later could only assume was to get rid of the birds, perhaps a ceiling fan that you could turn on at times could be more visually appealing whilst helping to keep the birds away

GREAT... we've got pigeons that flock to the top of our roof. Where can I buy the spikes in Chiang Mai????

Heaps of thanks in advance!