Bird Problem

just_Elaine

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name of the game is to stop them landing. Fishing line works. String 3 lines across and just above the balcony from side to side tightly so that they have no room to settle. It's doesn't distract from the view (nearly invisible) and they will find somewhere else to go - probably to the neighbours!

• Like 1

Get a stuffed owl

For just this purpose, Madigan Army Medical Center at JBLM in Tacoma, Washington, USA, has a few owl (cement?) fixtures positioned around the outside ledges of the upper floors.

When my wife & I lived in our 2-story house in Udon Thani, bird poop was a constant menace both along the balcony ledges & the white wall & alloy fence surrounding our lot. In the beginning, I would go out about every three months or so & engage in an all-day job cleaning off all the poop, a difficult endeavor for me because of the heat.

After a while, I changed strategies & began carrying a Scotch Brite sponge with me on my daily lawn-sweepings. The latter made life a lot easier, because there generally wasn't that much new mess on any given day. The balcony remained a quarter-annual or so maintenance task; since we only had two small balconies, it wasn't that bad.

Best idea yet, get a few colorful FAKE snakes. Move them around every few days. Works for me.

That's clever!

Also if you have fake snakes around then stash one in the bottom of the dirty laundry hamper and let the GF or maid find it.

Okay that is a little bit cruel since a lot of them grew up on farms and hard wired to recoil and scream.

So any recommendations on where to buy some quality fake snakes in CM? I need to add to my meager collection.

My wife found a scorpion in our laundry hamper one day. Have no idea how it got there.

We had pigeons nesting in our guttering. A pest control company wanted 6,000 baht to remove the nest and put some glue down to stop them nesting again. I thought 6,000 was too much for what they planned to do so I just used my pressure washer and blasted the nest away with that.

Are they nesting above the balcony ceiling by any chance? I had this on my bangkok condo. Fencing off the ceiling at the airco compressor area stopped them from returning. They build nests out of electric wire, nails and insulation material. City birds...

Here we used fishing line between eye hooks close to where the birds were landing. You can't see it and neither can the birds. A couple of encounters and they never came back.

In the US we used the spikes from Home Depot. They are plastic strips with spikes in a V pattern along the length. We used liquid nails to glue them down on the tile roof edges. The pigeons just moved to the neighbors house behind us. A few weeks later the guy behind us came by asking where we got the spikes. A bunch of neighbors there have the fake owls up on their roofs but not sure if they work.

Grin

I used to have a big problem with pigeons; they even managed to build substantial nests on my balcony while I was absent on trips home to the UK.

I noticed some of the locals had hung CDs on their balconies, so I tried this. Delighted to say it's worked perfectly and in the year or two since I've had no problem.

I'd certainly try CDs before your resort to spikes.

Thanks everyone! We haven't decided what to try yet. The talk to your neighbor suggestion isn't practical in our case. We live in a condo. Also, I think the problem is that trees were chopped down and another condo building was built across the street so the birds are looking for places to hang out. I'll let you know what we try and if it works.

Best idea yet, get a few colorful FAKE snakes. Move them around every few days. Works for me.

I had some Thai guys put fake snakes in our workshop to get rid of the birds and their shit and it seems to work - when at home in Chiang Mai I tried to find some in the supermarkets but couldn't - where did you get them?

Also saw a Thai girl put a monkey (toy) inside room at the glass balcony door and it worked as well.

• 1 month later...

I had some Thai guys put fake snakes in our workshop to get rid of the birds and their shit and it seems to work - when at home in Chiang Mai I tried to find some in the supermarkets but couldn't - where did you get them?

Also saw a Thai girl put a monkey (toy) inside room at the glass balcony door and it worked as well.

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would follow-up and let you know what we did:

1. we could not find decent looking/sized snakes anywhere.
  2. we put one cd up and that worked some, but not enough
  3. we hung many CDs up and attached them with another line horizontally so that they would not tangle in the wind.

This seems to have worked. We also bought the fishing line and some light metal l-angle - just, in case, we need to try that solution. We are going to replace the CD string with fishing line.

Someone that has a farm in Chiang Rai mentioned that birds don't like banana trees? or is it the smell of bananas? Anyway, I thought I would mention it, in case, someone else is looking for a different solution to this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

sticky mouse paper. They won't be able to land safely with that stuck to their feet.

and when one of the babies gets stuck; the mother will come and get stuck, too. I've had good luck with the plug in noisemakers, too. My last condo hoa used the spikes.

Fence around the property to keep out all things unwanted. Bars on the windows to keep out burglars. Spikes on the ledges to keep away the birds. An empty wallet to keep away the bar birds.

daiso sells plastic bird spikes

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where is Daiso? Never heard of it.

The Japanese fancy goods store (cannot remember the name) in Central

Festival shopping Mall, stocks plastic bird spikes,in strips and square

sections,at a reasonable price.should solve your bird problems,without

harming the birds.

regards Worgeordie

• 2 weeks later...

daiso sells plastic bird spikes

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile ap

We had a visit by a pigeon yesterday when our CDs got tangled. I guess they stop being afraid of the shiny stuff! Anyway, so we would like to take a look at the bird spikes. At which Daiso store did you see them? Oops. Never mind.. I just saw wirgeordie tell me!

Thanks...

Edited by just_Elaine

Hi Elaine, the name of the store is Diaso ? ,in Central festival,

look at back of store ,left hand side, thats where they had them

displayed,last time I was in there,everything is 65 Bht,

They are made of plastic ,so wont rust,

regards Worgeordie

facepalm.gif In Florida we get rid of sea birds by stringing monofilament fishing line between poles or what have you. Seems the birds don't like it. I also have bird problems and my dog gave up chasing them. Will try the lines.

Yes this the way we do it in Texas. Big problem with EPA and open oil storage . Birds getting stuck. They use to use bird netting at a pretty good cost. Someone came out with an idea of usin single mono line spaced at the proper distance. It messes with their internal flight orientation. Freaks em out! Google this subject and you should find some info. It is not as much as an eye sore as the other solutions posted. Basically mono line spaced every meter or meter and half should do the trick.

Hi Elaine, the name of the store is Diaso ? ,in Central festival,

look at back of store ,left hand side, thats where they had them

displayed,last time I was in there,everything is 65 Bht,

They are made of plastic ,so wont rust,

regards Worgeordie

Thank you. We found them today at the Daiso store at Central Festival mall. They were hanging near the ceiling near stuff that one might use for the garden. 60 baht each. Hopefully, they will work. We plan on putting them up tomorrow.

Elaine