Easier to travel from swampy or don meuang?

ultimate weapon

Always had a soft spot for the Don. Way back when it was a breeze to pass through, King Power were under control and everything was slightly shabby but worked OK. Traffic into town could be bad but the same is true of the Swamp. Just depends where you're headed.

• Like 1

IMHO Don Mueang is a much nicer airport. It has a warmer feeling compared to the cold storage locker ambience of Suvarnabhumi. That said, the current check-in area can get a bit crowded as so many airlines are now jammed into the small space. However, once in line, things go quickly. The security check is a breeze. The gate waiting are huge and comfortable. There are plenty of dining and shopping venues now. If possible, I always fly in and out of Don Mueang.

How have they solved the flooding problem this year at DM?

There was only severe flooding in 2011 in the 13 years that I have been going there, yes on the highway can get a little flash floods but not serious and if you go the elevated highway no problems at all.

DM is far better than Swampy,

I am not flying budget airlines like airasia when i travel from my home country to thailand so i won't be arriving at don meaung. If i fly domestic then it depends of course but that's not my concern cos i would be in bkk already i usually fly into bkk stay there for a while first before flying elsewhere domestically.

The thing that got my curiousity was cos as you guys should know how long those damn queues are at swampy whther you arrive or depart so i was wondering if that would be the case if you took an international flight from the don. I flew domestic at don so no immigration stamping obviously.

The other thing would be the traffic. If you travel from swampy via motor vehicle into downtown there's this junction where it branches off into sukhumvit, ratchada and so on and you know traffic is rather bad there regardless of the time of the day unless it's like say very late at night. If it's early morning to late noon to evening there will always be jams and without looking at any maps you know the don is located at that area at the northern part so the roads wouldn't be that jammed. I didn't look at any map while posting this.

Best thing about DM Airport is the Amari Hotel.

Only accross the sky bridge.

Great rates are available,plus upgrades.

Cheapest Amari I have stayed in.

You can get a room a third of the price walk in,of the Amari soi 5,Sukhumvit.

How stupid a question can you ask? It will all depend on where you want to go and what airlines go to that airport.

There are many destinations that are served by both airports, so it's not a stupid question at all.

One example: You can fly to Phuket from Suvarnabhumi on Bangkok Airways, or you can fly from Don Mueang on Nok Air.

Air Asia has many international destinations from Don Mueang; destinations that are also served by airlines flying out of Suvarnabhumi.

For domestic flights there are a couple of routes to either Don Mueang or Suvarnabhumi.

From Khon Kaen I now have the choice of Air Asia to Don or Thai Air to Suv.

Correct, and I used Air Asia recently (KKC-BKK-KKC).

Having lived in Bangkok for 10+ years using both airports, and back again to DM a few days ago, I think Swampy is the best in regards to traffic, because the traffic jam is all the way to DM airport sometimes, starting downtown BKK.

To Swampy the traffic jam is in patches.

Don Mueang is basically worn out and falling apart.

Anyhow,

the reply from 10baht is to be ignored, since he is probably just a recent banned member who pops up with a new profile.

I humbly disagree. I think Don Mueang has held up much better than Suvarnabhumi. The latter is full of cracked tiles, leaking faucets, etc. In spite of being old, going through an awful flood and standing idle for several years, Don Mueang looks remarkably good. For the most part, the floors are in great shape. Much of the wood is still beautiful and the restroom fixtures look to be of higher quality than the junk at Suvarnabhumi.

But, that's just my opinion. Perhaps I'm waxing romantic about my first port of entry into Thailand (1977).

I humbly disagree. I think Don Mueang has held up much better than Suvarnabhumi. The latter is full of cracked tiles, leaking faucets, etc. In spite of being old, going through an awful flood and standing idle for several years, Don Mueang looks remarkably good. For the most part, the floors are in great shape. Much of the wood is still beautiful and the restroom fixtures look to be of higher quality than the junk at Suvarnabhumi.

But, that's just my opinion. Perhaps I'm waxing romantic about my first port of entry into Thailand (1977).

I see your point.

Swampy was without a doubt built to a less standard, that is true, and will fall apart rather sooner than later.

We all know why that is so.

However, DM is seriously showing the age.

In regards to traffic, I think the infrastructure to Swampy is better.

How stupid a question can you ask? It will all depend on where you want to go and what airlines go to that airport.

There are many destinations that are served by both airports, so it's not a stupid question at all.

One example: You can fly to Phuket from Suvarnabhumi on Bangkok Airways, or you can fly from Don Mueang on Nok Air.

Air Asia has many international destinations from Don Mueang; destinations that are also served by airlines flying out of Suvarnabhumi.

Thanks.

It's not dumb at all. If you ever seen the queues at swampy hey who knows the don might be better. Well if you stay around the don area then it's easy to travel there same thing applies if you stay near swampy the question would be how would travel into downtown suk be like easier from don or swampy.

Yes Ultimate Weapon you're correct.Since Swampy replaced Don Muang as the international airport it's become far quieter,so long as it's largely only domestic flights you require.

I see. I just hate taking that airline that flies there air asia. Although it's slightly cheaper than jetstar.

Don't really care about how screwed up the airport is. I'm not going to hang out there anyway.

For domestic flights there are a couple of routes to either Don Mueang or Suvarnabhumi.

From Khon Kaen I now have the choice of Air Asia to Don or Thai Air to Suv.

Correct, and I used Air Asia recently (KKC-BKK-KKC).

Having lived in Bangkok for 10+ years using both airports, and back again to DM a few days ago, I think Swampy is the best in regards to traffic, because the traffic jam is all the way to DM airport sometimes, starting downtown BKK.

To Swampy the traffic jam is in patches.

Anyhow,

the reply from 10baht is to be ignored, since he is probably just a recent banned member who pops up with a new profile.

I didn't know about this at all. Wow jams to swampy seem to be worse then. I wonder how long the queues to immigration are.

Yes Ultimate Weapon you're correct.Since Swampy replaced Don Muang as the international airport it's become far quieter,so long as it's largely only domestic flights you require.

I see. I just hate taking that airline that flies there air asia. Although it's slightly cheaper than jetstar.

Don't really care about how screwed up the airport is. I'm not going to hang out there anyway.

Just be aware the lines for taxi (if you use) seems to be the same as old days at DM.

Just be aware the lines for taxi (if you use) seems to be the same as old days at DM.

Extremely cheap Charlie that I was, I used to walk out of the Don and take the red and cream no.29 bus from the road outside to Hualampong - 2 Baht 50 Satang. These days I have moved up a step and take shuttle from Swampy to the Transport Centre, then the aircon 554 - an outrageous 27 Baht last time..

Extremely cheap Charlie that I was, I used to walk out of the Don and take the red and cream no.29 bus from the road outside to Hualampong - 2 Baht 50 Satang. These days I have moved up a step and take shuttle from Swampy to the Transport Centre, then the aircon 554 - an outrageous 27 Baht last time..

There you go.

Upgrade.

smile.pngthumbsup.gif

Why not.

Saw the title and maybe this has been answered but doesn't it depend on where you want to go and the airline you travel with.

Yes it does.

But both air ports serve some of the same cities, so it also depends of the air line one choose to use.

• Like 1