Turkeys in Thailand

willyumiii

No,, not a thread about farangs or Thais.

It's about meat!

Do people raise turkeys in Thailand?

Obviously chickens and ducks do well here, why not turkeys?

Better meat and more of it!

Does anyone know anything about turkeys in Thailand and where young birds or even fertle eggs my be purchased in the Isaan/ Khorat area?

I'd like to give it a go!

post-147745-0-37184700-1385347638_thumb.

• Like 1

There was a place about 16 km east of Kuchinarai, Kalasin Province on hwy 12 on the north side, that raised turkeys. It was closed down during the bird flew crises. I don't know if it has reopened.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ihave raised turkeys for years. I currently have about 15, with 3 hens sitting on about 20 eggs. As has been mentioned they are a temperate climate bird and difficult to raise in the tropics, although I believe they have been raised with success in the cooler climes up North. The chicks here have a hgh mortality rate, especially with the chicks being prime prey for snakes and ravens. Funnily enough I don't eat them, I don't particularly like the taste of turkey meat. I sell them for breeding, I usually charge 1000baht for a good breeding pair.

• Like 1

I understand that turkey's aren't as good raised in the heat.They really do better in cold weather.

Quite right. I don't take any chances and simply trot off to Rimping or Tops and buy a BUTTERBALL!

Never had a problem and I know we are getting quality.

• Like 1

I understand that turkey's aren't as good raised in the heat.They really do better in cold weather.

Quite right. I don't take any chances and simply trot off to Rimping or Tops and buy a BUTTERBALL!

Never had a problem and I know we are getting quality.

Although I breed turkeys to sell as breeding birds, I do occasionally sell or gift one to friends for them to eat. Never have I had a complaint about the meat quality, qute the opposite in fact. As for your store bought butterball, very convenient but I shudder to think what growth hormones, antibiotics etc. the birds have been fed. Give me proper free range any day. In fact it's because I let my birds free range that I lose some to snakes and raptors.

• Like 2

There was a place about 16 km east of Kuchinarai, Kalasin Province on hwy 12 on the north side, that raised turkeys. It was closed down during the bird flew crises. I don't know if it has reopened.

I suppse the turkeys flew away

They flew? I didn't know Turkeys could fly.

A few years ago I spent 3,000 baht on a cooked turky from foodland - took it to a new years party - no Thais would eat it - they were polite said thanks but no one touched the meat. I ask a Thai friend about this and she informed me that Thais don't like the smell of turky meat, so there would be a problem selling to Thais.

Ihave raised turkeys for years. I currently have about 15, with 3 hens sitting on about 20 eggs. As has been mentioned they are a temperate climate bird and difficult to raise in the tropics, although I believe they have been raised with success in the cooler climes up North. The chicks here have a hgh mortality rate, especially with the chicks being prime prey for snakes and ravens. Funnily enough I don't eat them, I don't particularly like the taste of turkey meat. I sell them for breeding, I usually charge 1000baht for a good breeding pair.

Thanks for the input!

I have raised turkeys in the U.S. before and had a very high mortality rate with the chicks as well.

Then a neighbor told me about building a coop for the chicks that is raised about 3 feet above the ground with a chicken wire mesh floor.

This not only helped protect them from predators, but the mesh floor permitted all of their droppings to pass out of the coop and reduced the mortality due to disease as well.

When the chicks got older, they did fine on their own.

• Like 1

I suppse the turkeys flew away

They flu the coup?

If you are a foreigner you are forbidden from from farming and turkeys are farming!

Yeah, right!

And so are the chickens and vegetables in the yard!

Did I mention anything about raising turkeys to sell?????

If the turkeys were for sale, the "farm "would belong to my wife and daughter, not me!

I believe you are the first Turkey to respond to this thread,

be careful..it's almost Thanksgiving!

[

attachment=242404:images.jpg]

This could be you!

post-147745-0-86075300-1385436682_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

Here in our village out in the sticks there has been a couple of turkeys walking around for years the owner just lets them go where ever and they a fine looking bird...I don't know how long turkeys not bread for the table live for but these two are doing well and they hang out with a flock of 6 very large geese......no need for a guard dog in that house....

I bought a local turkey about three years ago, here in Sattahip. It must have had a hard working life as it was very tough and I have seen more meat on a butchers apron. If it was a fair example of Thai bred turkeys then I would steer clear of breeding them.

I am THE EXPERT on turkey farming in Thailand. From 2000 until 2005 I supplied many leading hotels in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Phuket, with the best quality FRESH turkey they had ever had.

This enterprise based in Hua Hin was the sole means of support for my extended Thai family.

The Livestock Dept. (DLD) never liked my Outdoor System (FREE RANGE) and when Bird Flu came along, used this as an excuse to nobble me. I was unable to import quality hatching eggs.

I tried to carry on by cross-breeding, This was OK for the first generation, but the second generation was rubbish, forcing us to close down.

There are THREE arcticles about me on Andrew Drummond, search Farmer Joe.

I'm about to sell my remaining land and start again.

The new project may be in Malaysia, Burma, Sri Lanka, or even Thailand (with BOI).

I have a year round market for Halal turkey in Malaysia, and this can be extended to the Gulf States and Indonesia.

I still have most of my Hatchery and Abattoir equipment.

I'm looking for partners with a "can do" attitude.

you can contact me via pm or via Andrew Drummond

Edited by SlyAnimal - URL removed + email address removed as per forum rules

• Like 1

I am THE EXPERT on turkey farming in Thailand. From 2000 until 2005 I supplied many leading hotels in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Phuket, with the best quality FRESH turkey they had ever had.

This enterprise based in Hua Hin was the sole means of support for my extended Thai family.

The Livestock Dept. (DLD) never liked my Outdoor System (FREE RANGE) and when Bird Flu came along, used this as an excuse to nobble me. I was unable to import quality hatching eggs.

I tried to carry on by cross-breeding, This was OK for the first generation, but the second generation was rubbish, forcing us to close down.

There are THREE arcticles about me on www.andrew-drummond.com ....search Farmer Joe.

I'm about to sell my remaining land and start again.

The new project may be in Malaysia, Burma, Sri Lanka, or even Thailand (with BOI).

I have a year round market for Halal turkey in Malaysia, and this can be extended to the Gulf States and Indonesia.

I still have most of my Hatchery and Abattoir equipment.

I'm looking for partners with a "can do" attitude.

you can contact me on joestanyer at hotmail com, or via Andrew Drummond

Hi Farmer Joe. I wondered what had happened to you. Glad that you haven't given up. Yes I did read how you were stitched up by your family, big food corporation, and the so called Thai justice system. It was a bloody disgrace to say the least.

Frankly I'm surprised that you would ever even consider starting again in Thailand, considering the low, corrupt powers that be in this Country. However, wherever you do decide to begin again I wish you all the best of luck.