3BB Premier internet

Rigsby

That result (assuming you could get it consistently) is only a bit less than the +-2 Mbps speeds you've been getting from 3BB Premiere -- at four times the monthly cost.

That's kind of my dilemma... With True cable's15 Mbps plan for 699b per month, I can easily get 2 Mbps or better to the U.S. during the morning and daytime hours... and usually can get close to 1 Mbps or better in the local primetime hours.

If I was being asked to pay three or four times more per month in my monthly ISP bill, I'd want something better for my money more than just sometimes having the difference between a 1 vs 2 Mbps international connection. Either the "premiere" price would need to come down, or their advantage over what I've got now would need to improve markedly.

Otherwise, no sale.

The new fiber plans have some promise in that regard. But if the various ISPs continue to oversubscribe their lines and/or throttle their international bandwidth speeds even for fiber customers, then in my case, again, it wouldn't provide much value.

Fiber may have some advantages at the local neighborhood level. But if your internet traffic then moves upstream and gets clogged up in the same ISP level congestion/restrictions as all the rest of their retail plan cable and DSL traffic, what's the point?

I am not trying to sell anybody on the Premiere plan. I don't think it is even available anymore. I was just showing what results I get.

Also, as I said before, I understand many people would not want to pay the price. For me, it is ok.

You are in Bangkok - I am in Chiang Mai - from what I have read, the differences are worlds apart even within the same company.

I had it and I got rid of it for 2xADSL (16/1 but maybe 13/1 soon) which is in the same price range as 1xADSL premier line. Skype is about the same (1 line would be the same), torrents 8x faster down, 2x faster up (load balanced), web browsing is fine and stable. In my case Premier was a waste.

Just curious, if anyone knows...

In the past, I've had both True cable and DSL internet in my home... and used the cable alone as my main internet connection and the separate DSL service as a backup, because there was a long stretch where True's cable internet in my neighborhood had extended and repeated outages. But I never tried to use them TOGETHER.

So I guess this makes me wonder...

1. Can you use a load balancing router to combine a cable internet with a DSL internet connection, even if the two services aren't necessarily rated at the same speed, and

2. Any suggestions on a particular model of a load balancing router that can be sourced in Thailand that would be suitable for the job.

Combining a 699b per month cable internet service with a second cable service or a similarly priced DSL service could be done for under 1500b per month -- which is a whole lot less than a lot of the high priced fiber plans or even 3BB's Premier service.

I use a TP-Link TL-ER5120 load balancing router. Overpriced locally at around 12,000 baht but since I use it everyday.... it has been worth it.

I has both load balancing and failover built in. You set the line speed of each connection (up and down) which is likely used when calculating which route a connection is to be used. For skype, and things that require single connections the load-balance side of it will not improve performance. If you torrenting, the load balancing works great and will get excellent speeds. If the modem supports bridge mode it is the best solution since consumer grade routing etc. built into modems typically get overloaded and leak memory.... which degrades performance rapidly when torrenting. The TP-Link is commercial grade and does not have this same problem. When I used the modems as routers (instead of bridge mode) I would have to reboot them daily or the performance would start to degrade.

The only issue is if the ADSL box loses power (I have UPS) the connection is broken and the links have to be rebooted. For some reason the TP-Link does not see the link as being broken... and thus will not reset them automatically.

TL-ER5120

For skype, and things that require single connections the load-balance side of it will not improve performance.

Ahh... so no help for using / improving the bandwidth for any of the various video streaming services...

Nope, no help

For that there would have to be more international bandwidth and that is not coming anytime soon. Congestion causes jitter and jitter causes problem for video streaming.

Edited by cacruden

• 3 months later...

I recently got the chance to do some light testing with 3BB's "Premier" service, comparing it to their regular 10/1Mb 590B + tax service here in Chiang Mai.

My conclusion is that one would be better spending the money on buying a Buddha amulet to hang on one's router.

I attach a PDF with the results of the testing, should anyone else be interested.

3bb-premier.pdf

I recently got the chance to do some light testing with 3BB's "Premier" service, comparing it to their regular 10/1Mb 590B + tax service here in Chiang Mai.

My conclusion is that one would be better spending the money on buying a Buddha amulet to hang on one's router.

I attach a PDF with the results of the testing, should anyone else be interested.

3BB in Chiang Mai was terrible 2 years ago due to domestic link from CM to Bangkok. Now I see it works much better?

Perhaps 590 baht package + 5-10 usd vps (for vpn purposes) in Singapore works better if 3BB does not throttle bw to Singapore location.

3BB in Chiang Mai was terrible 2 years ago due to domestic link from CM to Bangkok. Now I see it works much better?

Perhaps 590 baht package + 5-10 usd vps (for vpn purposes) in Singapore works better if 3BB does not throttle bw to Singapore location.

Yes, perhaps doing your own private routing via Singapore would work better, though difficult to know without testing of course.

If somebody has any data on performance via Singapore (or a VPN somewhere else), I hope they share it.

(Apologies for the error in my above post, it is of course 10M/512kB which is the regular 590B service, not 10/1.)

Edited by Awk