Question for my thai GF : anything permission needed to open a video rental shop ?

Don't know about the licensing requirements, however if you can bu something like a dvd for Baht 40 and rent it out for 10% of its original cost Baht 4 per time as long as you manage 11 rentals per disc per year your ROI isn't too bad.

Not my cup of tea, but if it fits in along with everything else why not

If your business model is to make 4 baht on a sale then you've come a very long way already - in the wrong direction...

No oak trees on the horizon!!!

Probably this it is nothing new. My knowledge was that to load a movie from the Internet was not free, and I never did...but just yesterday I found out that youtube have thousand of full length movies in its site, some very new, and from all around the world...Very good ones.Today I watched STOLEN, a good thriller with Nicolas Cage on my laptop.The only people renting movies are the ones that cannot wait to see a premiere, but premieres reach the rental stores very late. I cannot see a good business in that, but all depends on location, risk considerations, and overhead cost....because the profit will not be a big one. I do not see Thai mature people renting videos, and kids will....just to copy for its friends...I can see a good business in a Internet store with online games. Needs some investment, but Thai kids spend hours renting the computers to play with other kids online.....

They have pretty much closed down around the world but as you are talking about a small area of a existing

shop there is not much danger of a big loss. If it does not work out just sell the inventory to a hotel for there

guests or something like that. Of course there would be copyright laws as most DVD are bootlegs and that

is what would be rented I am sure. (no offence) I think your main issue would be with the police and the

possibility they would want a slice.

I don't know how the Thai people do it but every now and again I buy quite a few DVDs from a stall inside the Mall and they are 100 baht each, one free if I get 5!

Put a few on their machine to make sure they aren't cinema recordings complete with popcorn chomping noises, mobile tones and bobbing heads!

I give them away to a local club after watching them.

Can she rent out cheaper than that and guarantee the copy is playable.

I also wonder whether the idea of rent might be taken as similar to borrow.......... :D

Never to be seen again!

Nothing wrong with keeping thinking........ and only you know if your wife has a good work ethic.... many want to open shops, be their own boss and have the image of money rolling in with little effort, but get bored.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thks brit1984 because you answered my reply with gentleness. I didn't catch watch you mean in the first place.

I want to reply to IBoldnewguy, maybe I didn't catch your reply too, but your comment just left me upset. You're telling the old and famous story of the stupid farang coming in Thailand with stars in the eyes, and whatever you quoted about testicles, and all the boring cliches. Please make me a favor b4 you want to bring help in a thread, don't suppose in the first place the guy you are talking to is the first common stupid farang in Asia. We are all different, we are not all dreaming of giving a better life to her girlfriend !

I'm just here because I'm better than she does with computers and she never waited for me to have a job or to fill papers. But internet is a quick way to get informations.

In farangland, if one boy ask for some help for his wife on a forum is it to bring her a better life ? No, you wouldn't think about posting such comments.

That's just racist thoughts, though I understand it can be a reality, but for the people like us, that is racist blabla from people who don't care to know whom they talk to.

To come back to the main reason of this thread, I knew DVD renting shops is a dying industry even in Thailand, I say by myself some shop closing and selling everything instead of renting.

But I'm not talking about a real rental shop, just a small stand where locals from the near streets could find the new movies. I have been a customer when I was in chiang mai, and I cannot say there were no customers at all. And at the cost of a DVD, maybe 1 or 2 baths, it may bring 2000 or 3000 baths a months maybe.

But as many of you quoted, it seems to be a risky business, so it doesn't worth to get into troubles for just a few more baths.

1. If you only wanted agreeable answers you should have included that in your original question... it would have saved a lot of time.

2. If you had read my comment carefully you might have understood that I was just echoing and poking fun at your rude put down to Brit1984.

3. As I read the above you claim to NOT be the "first common stupid farang in asia" and then proceed to prove yourself wrong with a rant of insults and issues that are just figments of your anger at not being agreed with.

4. I'm not sure just who you are as your choice of phraseology and words do not indicate someone who is familiar with writing English (unless, of course, you were drunk at the time).

5. One cannot prove the correctness of an idea with insults - a rational defense might have worked but was not offered. Ideas and comments that are put forth in a haphazard irrational fashion are usually just that.... haphazard and irrational.

Has op done due dil?

. Fyi the Asian DVD trade is the most sophisticated in the world. Films released at same time or before general release/ cinema etc.. Of course that is the pirate trade, and op would not compete in that.since it funds organised gangs as for the legal trade. How can you compete with those that don't pay royalties for films, music etc..?