Suthep urges people to seize government offices

Lite Beer

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the protesters have taken over the finance ministry buildings and are sitting on the floor peacefully not destroying anything..fact....

Whether they've destroyed anything or not isn't really the point.

What they're doing is undemocratic.

To physically take over government ministries is an act of revolution. Which is fair enough, if you are a revolutionary movement with the aim of overthrowing the government.

But to pretend that it is being done to protect democracy is just laughable.

Why not come straight out and say it? 'We want to overthrow the democratically elected government and replace it with one that we like instead'.

I think there is a big difference between getting rid of Thaksin and putting in the governemtn they want. These are two mutually exclusive things. Get rid of Thaksin is the start. Lets see if the sky falls after that.

• Like 2

Who knows?

Here's a little story. There was a local election a while ago and wifey got more than 2k bht from the newly elected mayor and her team.

They were democrats.

I never said dems were or are democratically elected, what i said was and say it again, there is no democratically elected government in Thailand and never was.

I agree but would Sutheps self appointed cabinet be in anyway a popular choice?

the protesters have taken over the finance ministry buildings and are sitting on the floor peacefully not destroying anything..fact....

To physically take over government ministries is an act of revolution. Which is fair enough, if you are a revolutionary movement with the aim of overthrowing the government.

Why not come straight out and say it? 'We want to overthrow the democratically elected government and replace it with one that we like instead'.

Welll, if majority want the government out, do you not think it is democratic for people to take control? Government offices do not belong to Shinawatra family, it belongs to the people.

So even assuming this government was democratically elected, it would seem it is now democratically removed.

The way to know that the majority want the government out is by having an election.

How many people are involved in the demonstrations? How are they being counted?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that there are one million of them.

As of 2012, there were 66.79 million people in Thailand.

People take control democratically by voting, not by occupying government offices.

Personally, I'm not against revolution. I think it is necessary sometimes.

But if you are going to have a revolution, and overthrow an elected government, then don't try and dress it up as democracy, because it isn't.

They should be brave enough to say what they are. Not hiding behind democratic values that they don't represent.

What they should or should not do is really none of my business for many different reasons.

When peoples votes are bought or coerced one way or another, it does not make it democratic, so lets stop throwing the same word, which simply never existed in this part of the world.

This government broke the law, and yet continues to break more.

You do not think it is now up to people to stop them? who else should?

You say 67 million people, so any reason why hardly any came out to support the government?

You are a nutcase just like suthep he should be immediately arrested and thrown in jail

THIS IS A DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED GOVERMENT

NO IT ISN'T

Corrupt elections involving vote buying and populist policies aimed at a certain demographic and not the people in general is NOT DEMOCRATIC!!!

Which makes about every government ever "elected" in Thailand, not democratically elected!

This one was as democratically elected as you can have it in this country!

Happy now?

Sounds like you have given up.

I however am optimistic that one day Thailand will eventually change towards a more mature democracy and things like vote buying will be a thing of the past.

The more people get lumbered with dreadful governments like this for the sake of a bit of pocket money. The more people will realize their folly and turn against that system.... hopefully.

Who knows?

Here's a little story. There was a local election a while ago and wifey got more than 2k bht from the newly elected mayor and her team.

They were democrats.

I never said dems were or are democratically elected, what i said was and say it again, there is no democratically elected government in Thailand and never was.

I do not know, but can it be any worse than it is now?

Yes, but if so many here believe in democracy and keep on bringing it up, then mob rule may well be democratic, NO?

Well, no not really smile.png

People say they believe in democracy, the current government say they believe in democracy, but as someone very eloquently pointed out in another thread; Democracy doesn't end with an election, an election gets you into the democratic process where your ideas and policies are debated and you win or lose the argument.

It's all very well to say you believe in democracy, but then you have to behave in a democratic manner.

Protest, yes. Mobilise public opinion, yes. Demonstrate, yes.

Take over government buildings, no.

A step too far.

• Like 2

Somebody in the anti-Thaksin group should seize Suthep by the throat and throttle him. This is going WAAAY too far. You don't replace non-democratic behavior with non-democratic behavior.

Where are you from,

This the bases of democratic process, from 1776 to recent actions in Egypt, Libya, etc. etc. Also the only way to combat a corrupt government

I am from the Deep South where from 1861 to 1865 the South fought a war of succession. More than a half million good people died for nothing. Why are you on the side of violent change, per you examples, as if that is the only way for your side to regain power. If you don't have/can't get the votes, you take power with violence? Please wait on the courts (I know, they work exceedingly slow, but they have a hell of a case load) and the NACC. They may dissolve the PTP and ban its leadership for five years; problem solved. Revolutions rarely result in more democracy.

Yes, but if so many here believe in democracy and keep on bringing it up, then mob rule may well be democratic, NO?

People say they believe in democracy, the current government say they believe in democracy, but as someone very eloquently pointed out in another thread; Democracy doesn't end with an election, an election gets you into the democratic process where your ideas and policies are debated and you win or lose the argument.

It's all very well to say you believe in democracy, but then you have to behave in a democratic manner.

A step too far.

Perhaps different people have different understanding of what democracy is and what it stands for.

A government has to be deselected by all Thais and not only by a protest of a minority in the capital.

Well unfortunately, they have geese and gander in Thailand stuck in a never ending tit for tat.

It's pretty obvious that aside from elections and the such, they need some bloody help writing constitutions to be able to allow the country to function without the whole system getting rail roaded with little consideration from the will of the people.

I think there is a big difference between getting rid of Thaksin and putting in the governemtn they want. These are two mutually exclusive things. Get rid of Thaksin is the start. Lets see if the sky falls after that.

That's a good point. But I still think that it's over-reaching and self-destructive to take over government buildings.

It does nothing to legitamise the process they want.

The government have suffered a huge defeat.

If the opposition truly want a democratic future for the country (and I still think that's not 100% sure) then they should stick to fully democratic methods.

Otherwise they will leave themselves open to the accusation that they are no different from the other side, they just represent a different flavour of corruption and that this is all about which tribe you're from and who can gather the largest protest group in Bangkok.

• Like 2

A step too far.

I really must agree with this. It is a step too far - or at least far too early. Suthep is pushing too hard because he wants to be the hero of the hour (presumably he thinks its his golden ticket to PM-ship). As above, peaceful protest - block roads at most - make a nuisance with posters and placards and on the net - fine. Taking over government offices smacks of the PAD stupidity with respects to the airport all those years ago - something that comes back and bites the Dems or any non-Red in the arse in any argument about 2010. Why do it again?

For the love of all that's holly Suthep, tell them to leave peacefully and sit outside - point made, disruption of key government infrastructure is all the reason they need to use the ISA and light that touch paper!

• Like 2

A step too far.

Perhaps different people have different understanding of what democracy is and what it stands for.

I would say that that is evidently the case.

A minority of the people (a maximum of 1 million, in a country of over 66 million) taking over government buildings with the aim of overthrowing the government, would pretty much stretch any definition of democracy.

• Like 2

The way to know that the majority want the government out is by having an election.

People take control democratically by voting, not by occupying government offices.

But if you are going to have a revolution, and overthrow an elected government, then don't try and dress it up as democracy, because it isn't.

They should be brave enough to say what they are. Not hiding behind democratic values that they don't represent.

What they should or should not do is really none of my business for many different reasons.

When peoples votes are bought or coerced one way or another, it does not make it democratic, so lets stop throwing the same word, which simply never existed in this part of the world.

You say 67 million people, so any reason why hardly any came out to support the government?

Good points.

Also, if you gauge the numbers and what they want.. Dems have managed to pull out close to 1 million or more people which represents around 10% of their voters to back them up. While PTP with their miserable 50,000 supporters bothering to turn out an abysmal 0.3% of their voters, mostly thanks to the rice scam shambles and the fact that their voters have spent their 500 baht and lost interest.

Then one can assume that the protesters are very much in 'the majority' thus validating the 'majority people's choice'.

After all... If the government were so convinced that they are still democratically needed, then why all the resistence towards dissolution and a fresh election?.... Answers on a postcard.

Protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban has urged people throughout the country to seize government officials with their bare hands in a bid to overthrow the Thaksin regime.

What a load of crap.

He urged people in other provinces to follow the example at the ministry by seizing government agencies to protect themselves from the "illegitimate administration".

Nothing about seizing government officials with their bare hands.

More stupidly twisted alarmist reporting.

I suppose you only believe what you want to believe....naive at best if you think Suthep and his supporters are not capable of massive wrongs and violence.

+I would say that the only naivity being displayed here is by YOU.

The position that Suthep has spent a month getting his rally to is very favourable and showing great signs of success.

You seriously think that he is going to get into this position while begging everyone to remain non-violent and not damage any property all along the way... Then go and blow it all and then come out with a statement such as seize government officials with your bare hands...

Man you have a cheek to call ME naive.

It is you that is naive, and also a very selective believer which you have been called out on many many times on this board.

You truly are naive.

The plan is to remove this government we are told in 3 days by fair means or foul.

What also is becoming clear and has been alluded to on other sites is there are NO plans for further elections and that a new order is being planned.

"He announced that the protesters wanted to set up a government of the people which will set a new order for the country – one which is truly democratic with the King as the head of state.

He said the protesters would not demand anything from the government “because the government is already null and void because it does not respect the Constitution Court.”

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-urges-people-seize-government-offices/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=suthep-urges-people-seize-government-offices

good Taksin himself said he is no believer in democracy and if it keeps him away ill support it 100%. Better that than Taksin land with no rule, no laws and rest except for hi mans his scan and hangers on. The time for kids gloves is over now is time to take control away from this megalomaniac and I have far more faith in balances and checks that will result than any Taksin has proved and shown to buy off or disregard. As you sow so shall you reap. 

Its to late for niceties and is a all our struggle. No use sitting on the fence any longer its one side or the other and I prefer the non Taksin side warts and all although not ideal lets be fair Taksin and his lot have shown the way and thank goodness we have someone who can learn from that and maybe do it better. This is not the west and I wish people would stop trying to compare it.  

You cannot compromise with a scorpion or snake as Taksin and the red thugs have shown themselves to be. 

You show utter contempt for the democratic process and for the Thai electorate. I expect you know what this makws you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Somebody in the anti-Thaksin group should seize Suthep by the throat and throttle him. This is going WAAAY too far. You don't replace non-democratic behavior with non-democratic behavior.

Where are you from,

This the bases of democratic process, from 1776 to recent actions in Egypt, Libya, etc. etc. Also the only way to combat a corrupt government

I am from the Deep South where from 1861 to 1865 the South fought a war of succession. More than a half million good people died for nothing. Why are you on the side of violent change, per you examples, as if that is the only way for your side to regain power. If you don't have/can't get the votes, you take power with violence? Please wait on the courts (I know, they work exceedingly slow, but they have a hell of a case load) and the NACC. They may dissolve the PTP and ban its leadership for five years; problem solved. Revolutions rarely result in more democracy.

Can you really see the NACC doing such a thing? There would be bloodshed for sure if they did - after TRT and PPP dissolved, the people that voted for this government have shown themselves unlikely to sit on their hands - and even if you believe all Red action was paid action, then what other option would this leave Thaksin and the other coalition members? I doubt such a move would be made - not until at least the end of their term.

This is a dangerous turn of events - an escalation that quite frankly is not needed - Suthep may have a lot to answer for with his self-appointed leadership bordering on the Charge of the Light Brigade! The anti-amnesty/Thaksin/Gov (whatever it is now) protectors would be well shot of him.

Best outcome would be for them to pull back out of the offices and encamp outside or in the grounds but not the offices/buildings - thereby releasing the pressure on/excuse for the government/police/military to intervene - and to let the pressure continue to build so that the inevitable reshuffle (and replacement of the PM and other Thaksin die-hard cronies) occurs and then this country might be in a best position for change it has ever been in. And the next election could, hopefully, be fault on real policies and not pie-in-the-sky and selfishness.

Edited by wolf5370

A step too far.

A minority of the people (a maximum of 1 million, in a country of over 66 million) taking over government buildings with the aim of overthrowing the government, would pretty much stretch any definition of democracy.

Just because the entirety of the country hasn't dropped everything to head to BKK to protest does not mean that the majority of the population are against removing this mockery of a government.

By the way... Only 32 million voted in the last elections, so no need to keep bringing up the figure for the entire population unless voting age has been brought right down to the date of birth.

Who knows?

They were democrats.

Doesn't matter, if Suthep and mates get their way popular choice won't come into it for a long time, if ever.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A step too far.

Ok, I accept and ask again, any reason why majority are silent?

Is it possible, vast majority agree, just have not joined the demonstration ?

• Like 1

Good points.

Also, if you gauge the numbers and what they want.. Dems have managed to pull out close to 1 million or more people which represents around 10% of their voters to back them up. While PTP with their miserable 50,000 supporters bothering to turn out an abysmal 0.3% of their voters, mostly thanks to the rice scam shambles and the fact that their voters have spent their 500 baht and lost interest.

Then one can assume that the protesters are very much in 'the majority' thus validating the 'majority people's choice'.

After all... If the government were so convinced that they are still democratically needed, then why all the resistence towards dissolution and a fresh election?.... Answers on a postcard.

The undeniable fact that the government has lost a huge amount of it's support due to it's actions is precisely the point.

'The people' can not be represented by a crowd invading government buildings at the behest of the opposition. 10% of their voters does not make a majority, by any stretch of the imagination.

Walking out of the government and taking to the streets is revolution, pure and simple.

It leads to counter revolution and more violence in the future.

That's a good point. But I still think that it's over-reaching and self-destructive to take over government buildings.

It does nothing to legitamise the process they want.

The government have suffered a huge defeat.

If the opposition truly want a democratic future for the country (and I still think that's not 100% sure) then they should stick to fully democratic methods.

Otherwise they will leave themselves open to the accusation that they are no different from the other side, they just represent a different flavour of corruption and that this is all about which tribe you're from and who can gather the largest protest group in Bangkok.

the point is not for them to win, by holding the moral high ground. All they care is to win. Once they win, that's it. No one points at them, no accuses them, they just receiving wai's for showing their power.

Sick but true. There is no such thing as hypocrisy in Thailand.

• Like 2

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced in the live broadcast today that the government would enforce the national security law in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Bang Phli in Samut Prakan and Lad Lumkaew in Pathum Thani.

She said the enforcement is necessary following the invasion into government buildings, which disrupts government operations and threatens the national security.

She also insisted that in restoring control in the areas, the government assures no violence. International standards will be strictly followed, she said.

Yingluck also urges former Democrat MPs, who led protesters to government buildings, to solve conflicts through parliamentary procedure.

Also... the ISA has been extended to a 50 KM radius around BKK. Making all gatherings of people illegal.
I have one comment.
Horse.... bolted.... stable door.

I wonder when Yingluck will send the brown boys in to clear that nest of red vipers at Rajamangala Stadium and if they will block the red rice harvesters from coming to join them?

I do not see anything wrong with seizing government houses and offices as long as its done in a peaceful manner.

You are a nutcase just like suthep he should be immediately arrested and thrown in jail

THIS IS A DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED GOVERMENT

Firstly you should know by now not to cut up my post

Secondly, you do not need to shout, as i can read well

Thirdly, not really sure how bought votes become democratically elected

And last, since it is so democratic as you claim, any reason why those who WILLINGLY voted have not come out to defend it?

"And last, since it is so democratic as you claim, any reason why those who WILLINGLY voted have not come out to defend it?"

That's a bit unfair

are the voters supposed to take to the street everytime some woolly mammon of an upstart non-voting fascist group takes to the streets and airwaves?

By the way, according to my nephew, the youth of thailand have been informed by the PAD that Thaksin plans to become president or emperor taking the highest spot.

This is Pad news where a virtual world is created that never threatens the evidenced real world.

It's nasty like accusing Thaksin's daughters to be non-royalist or anyone else for that matter.

Thirdly (your point) Obviously points mean prizes and it ought to be incumbent on those seeking election in Thailand to identify the rules of the game and what funds should be raised in order to raise sufficient votes to win an election.

Clearly the democrats and their allies neglected to do this and clearly lacked the intelligence needed to become teh government party for Thailand.

It's also worrying that for the first time in their history they have a leader with a murder charge hanging over him.

Clearly an amnesty should be sought and

In short they just lie

What is more democratic than an elected government?

Government elected by people's choice NOT by the amount of 500 baht handed out?

As opposed to the 2000 bahts handed out by the dems in the south and they still didn't have a chance

your wrong Taksin paid 10,000 baht per vote in marginal seats and I can provide links on tube to support that but thats nothing compared with 100 million per judge he's paid .

Welll, if majority want the government out, do you not think it is democratic for people to take control? Government offices do not belong to Shinawatra family, it belongs to the people.

So even assuming this government was democratically elected, it would seem it is now democratically removed.

The Majority DONT WANT THEM OUT

If you want to remove a government then the normal procedure it to have an election but just like last time when the yellows cant get their own way and win an election BY VOTES they just try to overthrow a legally ELECTED government by force. AGAIN

Both parties buy votes by bribing people for their votes so that argument dont wash, the reds won and should be allowed to serve their term until the next election, then the yellows can try to win, BUT WE ALL KNOW they will never win which is why they are trying to take it by FORCE AGAIN.

We all know? Who are you referring to?

If majority do not support it, why are they silent?

You keep on using big words, without any merit

That's a bit unfair

are the voters supposed to take to the street everytime some woolly mammon of an upstart non-voting fascist group takes to the streets and airwaves?

By the way, according to my nephew, the youth of thailand have been informed by the PAD that Thaksin plans to become president or emperor taking the highest spot.

This is Pad news where a virtual world is created that never threatens the evidenced real world.

It's nasty like accusing Thaksin's daughters to be non-royalist or anyone else for that matter.

Thirdly (your point) Obviously points mean prizes and it ought to be incumbent on those seeking election in Thailand to identify the rules of the game and what funds should be raised in order to raise sufficient votes to win an election.

Clearly the democrats and their allies neglected to do this and clearly lacked the intelligence needed to become teh government party for Thailand.

It's also worrying that for the first time in their history they have a leader with a murder charge hanging over him.

Clearly an amnesty should be sought and

In short they just lie

So you think voters silence is a proof of their support for the government? Or what exactly are you saying?

Red shirts failed to get the numbers, are they not the very same voters who voted for this government?

Edited by lemoncake