Political unrest affecting tourism in Bangkok

webfact

Political unrest affecting tourism in Bangkok
By English News

13854316766685.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 26 – Bangkok’s tourism revenue may fall 10 per cent lower than projected if the political demonstrations continue, according to a senior Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) official.

Pranee Satayaprakop, the BMA's Culture, Sports and Tourism Department Director General, said the public and private tourism sectors have mapped tourism stimulation plan for November to January and set a target revenue at Bt1.8 billion.

The plan will be unaffected as most tourists will travel upcountry during the three-month period but the political protest in Bangkok could plunge tourism revenue at 10 per cent below projection if the situation does not return to normal within this month, she said.

The BMA has cooperated with the private sector in organising the New Year’s countdown celebrations at Ratchprasong and Asiatique by the Chao Phraya River.

City Hall and 120 publishing houses will hold the World Book Fair December 18-24 – another event that it hopes to boost tourism revenue. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-26

Tourism supposedly only returns 6% of the nations GDP.....

If tourism drops 10% in BKK, and I assume they mean BKK only (according to the BMA) over the next few months, I can't see much difference.....but of course, not many stats are correct here....

It doesn't take rock-science to work this one out. Embassies and the world media have already given explicit warnings about the risks of travelling and staying in Thailand due to the ongoing internal issues & disputes. Do you really expect tourists who has perhaps saved all year to come to such a place to enjoy the fruits of their labour, when all of this turmoil is happening all around them ? I can think of many other places more suitable at the moment, don't you ?

It doesn't take rock-science to work this one out. Embassies and the world media have already given explicit warnings about the risks of travelling and staying in Thailand due to the ongoing internal issues & disputes. Do you really expect tourists who has perhaps saved all year to come to such a place to enjoy the fruits of their labour, when all of this turmoil is happening all around them ? I can think of many other places more suitable at the moment, don't you ?

Nope, the only warnings that I have seen so far are about NOT going into BKK, but nobody has warned about Thailand in general.

And actually... looking at the Baht drop slowly agains other major tourist currencies... my holiday in December might be cheaper than usual ;-)

• Like 2

Nope, the only warnings that I have seen so far are about NOT going into BKK, but nobody has warned about Thailand in general.

And actually... looking at the Baht drop slowly agains other major tourist currencies... my holiday in December might be cheaper than usual ;-)

And only particular areas of BKK.

The real concern is if Suvarnabhumi airport is affected by demonstrations.

With the the birthday of H M the King on 5th of December I think all will show due respect.