Should I change my bike?

NoshowJones

I have an eight year old Wave 125, which I use for longer journeys, and a two year old Fino. My wave has done 53.000 Ks, is still running great, but I hate the kick start. Sometimes it starts with one kick, and other times it takes a few kicks.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get my bike fitted with a push start? Or should I just get a new one?

If the multi kick is the only issue, just get the carby refurbed, timing checked, and replace the plug. These three things are basically the only ones that can prevent a one kick start. (Assuming it has reasonable compression and electrics are in good order.)

I think the kick started only model have a different engine block than the electric/kick started model?

If OP's Wave is front drum brake I would say buy a new or almost new with electric/disk front brake.

Kick start is good to have as a back-up, on my wife's ex Fino the battery was shot but I managed to get it going on the kick and riding it to a local bike shop for a new battery.

On my PCX no kick start so when the battery is fxxxxx, I am fxxxxx toosad.png

Install a new spark plug in, pour an appropriate amount of fuel system/carburettor/fuel injection cleaner in the tank and run the cleaner through. That is quite easy. Then it may be the technique rather than the engine.

Gently push down on the kickstart, until you feel the compression then allow the kickstart to ratchet back up to the top and then with enthusiasm give it a good kick.

If this doesn't solve it a set set of new rings and a valve job is in order. ( As has been alluded to) I wouldn't bother with a carb rebuild when a new one is quite reasonable.

As I said in another thread a Wave on our soi has 78,000 and is still OK.

If the multi kick is the only issue, just get the carby refurbed, timing checked, and replace the plug. These three things are basically the only ones that can prevent a one kick start. (Assuming it has reasonable compression and electrics are in good order.)

Thanks, maybe that seems the best option. When I use my fino, I keep wishing I had a push start.

I just had a complete engine rebuild with new piston and rings and valves etc, new air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, new fuel pump, new battery, new brakes and tyres done on a Honda Click. 6500 Baht. It's like new. This represents a saving of 42,500 Baht over chucking the old one out and buying a new one.

That sounds good, my Wave is in great condition, it just takes a few kicks to start, and sometimes only one kick.

Install a new spark plug in, pour an appropriate amount of fuel system/carburettor/fuel injection cleaner in the tank and run the cleaner through. That is quite easy. Then it may be the technique rather than the engine.

Gently push down on the kickstart, until you feel the compression then allow the kickstart to ratchet back up to the top and then with enthusiasm give it a good kick.

If this doesn't solve it a set set of new rings and a valve job is in order. ( As has been alluded to) I wouldn't bother with a carb rebuild when a new one is quite reasonable.

Yes, I read that thread, I can easily afford a new bike, but I was a bit peeved at the Honda agents wanting 390 Baht for a basket. It's not the money, it's the principle.

just a small maintenance and kickstart will be OK again. if you have a wave, use it for 20 years, no need to change it.

Also, i remember, they are installing electrcistart parts to waves but check it out, i might be mistaken.

My kickstart was also a little problematic recently but changed teh spark plug after 3 years and now it is OK.

• Like 1

I just had a complete engine rebuild with new piston and rings and valves etc, new air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, new fuel pump, new battery, new brakes and tyres done on a Honda Click. 6500 Baht. It's like new. This represents a saving of 42,500 Baht over chucking the old one out and buying a new one.

That sounds good, my Wave is in great condition, it just takes a few kicks to start, and sometimes only one kick.

Honda Wave is by far the best option here. It's old technology, that's a given, but it's built like a tank. We run Wave's as well as Click's and the Wave is the better machine in my opinion.

Sturdy!!!

just a small maintenance and kickstart will be OK again. if you have a wave, use it for 20 years, no need to change it.

Also, i remember, they are installing electrcistart parts to waves but check it out, i might be mistaken.

My kickstart was also a little problematic recently but changed teh spark plug after 3 years and now it is OK.

What is teh sparkplug?

• Like 1

What is teh sparkplug?

Sorry I got a little confused there, you mean the sparkplug.

Yes, I read that thread, I can easily afford a new bike, but I was a bit peeved at the Honda agents wanting 390 Baht for a basket. It's not the money, it's the principle.

If you have the money by all means get yourself a new bike. The technology is so much better & it is nice to treat yourself to something new now & then. All my bikes I have sold ran great when I sold them. A new ride puts the old zip in the stride. Sure an older television still works but a new flat screen is pretty nice. Treat yourself!

Thanks Beardog, I'm swithering between a new bike and getting the plug, valves etc done, If the local Honda dealer insists on charging me extra for a basket on the bike, then they are definitely not getting my business.

If you have the money by all means get yourself a new bike. The technology is so much better & it is nice to treat yourself to something new now & then. All my bikes I have sold ran great when I sold them. A new ride puts the old zip in the stride. Sure an older television still works but a new flat screen is pretty nice. Treat yourself!

Not only that, but the fuel consumption on those newer bikes is amazing. 52Km/L on the new wave as I might have read somewhere. fill the tank with just 140 Baht and you can do 200KM.

53,000 km and 8 years is not old for a Wave that has been treated moderately well. No need for a new bike. And you said you have a Fino as well.

As others have mentioned timing, carb, spark plug. Not expensive at all. Maybe under 500 Baht.

If however you want to change the bike for the sake of it, there are lots of options out there.

53,000 km and 8 years is not old for a Wave that has been treated moderately well. No need for a new bike. And you said you have a Fino as well.

As others have mentioned timing, carb, spark plug. Not expensive at all. Maybe under 500 Baht.

If however you want to change the bike for the sake of it, there are lots of options out there.

I agree, but someone mentioned new rings and valves, not so. If the bike is not backfiring your valves are fine, if it doesn't smoke or burn oil the rings are almost certainly okay.

Yes, start with a new plug and clean the carb, either with in-the-tank stuff or strip and clean.