Government Teaching Subsidy of 50,000 baht.............

thequietman

Hi Guys,

I have read on here more than once, that all government schools, that have foreign teachers for English, get a 50,000 baht subsidy to do this. Is this in fact true? and if so, does anyone have proof or a link to back it up. The reason I ask, is that the school I teach at continuously says that they can't increase salaries but I see that other schools can and do.

Are they holding back or are they telling the truth. We don't have a mini English programme.

Thanks. wai.gif

Transparency is not a part of the culture, so if they were getting anything, you would likely never find out how much.

That's the understatement of the year.

Suffice to say, if the school isn't making money on the foreigner, they aren't going to hire him/her. I doubt it's always "under the table" or skimmed off some how, but for sure the overall "budget" is going to be increased. They are in the business mode, not in the "education" mode. This refers to Government schools. Of course private schools don't get free money from Bangkok. They have to earn it.

• Like 1

Interesting experience a friend had a while back( last semester in fact).

He was employed at a government school in Surin near the Cambodian border I won't name the school here though.

Salary 27,000 baht per month, he was happy with that he is a qualified teacher retired with a U.K pension from his teaching years and a state pension too. Lives in Surin and married to a Thai lady for some 25 years retired and bored hence working for pleasure.

Each month he was asked rightly so to sign for his salary which was paid in cash, one day he lifted the sign sheet up after he dropped the clipboard, wonders after wonders he was being paid 27,000 baht a month and the school was claiming 54,000 baht a month from the authorities in the education ministry..

He did not return for the second semester as he was totally disgusted with the affair and the dishonesty saying '' he would not be a party to a fraud or a patsy to a fraud charge.

Is it possible that the amount was for two teachers? A school director, head teacher can't just "claim such an amount" from "the authorities in the education ministry.

Parents usually pay a certain amount of money for a foreign teacher, which mostly covers the salary. Okay, nothing is impossible in the Land of hubs.-wai2.gif

This myth circulates every now and then and is total nonsense, the school doesn't get 50-60-70,000 baht for every foreign teacher, it is just another story foreigners use to bitch about teaching here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree on this one.

The Ministry of Education's budget for students in secondary schools is between 3,500 and 3,800 Baht tuition fee and 2,898 Baht for other expenses per student per year. Kindergarten schools gets 1,700 Baht while primary schools get 1,700 + 1,630 Baht. That's what OBEC schools get. Everything has to be paid with it.

Often schools offer English language for 1 hour per week by foreign teachers at a rate between 300 to 600 Baht per student per semester. This to fund the foreign teachers' salary.

The Ministry of Education's budget for students in secondary schools is between 3,500 and 3,800 Baht tuition fee and 2,898 Baht for other expenses per student per year. Kindergarten schools gets 1,700 Baht while primary schools get 1,700 + 1,630 Baht. That's what OBEC schools get. Everything has to be paid with it.

Maybe the schools should go into the rice business.

Rote learning is cheap, here is proof.

My neighbour Is head mistress of a Thai Government School on Sukhumvit 101. She told me she had a budget from the Ministry of Education of B30-35,000 to hire native English speakers to teach English. I helped a Philipino teacher get B30,000/mth in Surin. That seems to be the budget still.

this year, i was at a school where they wanted us to open a bank deposit... it was said because the gov't deposits 1/2 of the salary and the school the other half(through the budget and students of the program that pay) so that seems logical...

speaking of disgust...

i was in a school in yasothon where they have the MEP... and for months someone was signing in a foriegn teacher(female) for the foreign department who had left the last year.. she had never shown up this current year, and I began to question it, and then, when it got up to the director... the signing stopped... hehe that person always signed at 6 am... and many of times i had came in at that time and i never seen her...not hard to miss another foreigner in a small school... hehe guess she was someone's lucky ghost! thumbsup.gif

so many things are happening to contribute to a very dishonest and corruptive system, but education has always represented in this culture as the mother and fathers of the society... so go figure.

This site has no rating

the suggestion here that there is no rorting of payments to foreign teachers is total nonsense. I know of a teacher who had to sign for 40k bht month, but was paid 25k, the rest went to the director. The suggestion that such stories are manifested by farangs is rubbish. The current head of my gf school has two very expensive cars - cant help good luck!!!!

siampolee, on 30 Nov 2013 - 18:43, said:

...wonders after wonders he was being paid 27,000 baht a month and the school was claiming 54,000 baht a month from the authorities in the education ministry..

This true. Schools can make profit by giving lower salary to the teachers than the amount they collect from the main source

which is the government.

I know about 70 Filipinos directly employed by the government. Those who have 20 hours a week received more than 50,000 Baht because they are paid 600Baht per hour. The minimum hour they have is 16 hours. That is for the newly opened English Program.

• Like 1

mogo51 said:

the suggestion here that there is no rorting of payments to foreign teachers is total nonsense. I know of a teacher who had to sign for 40k bht month, but was paid 25k, the rest went to the director. The suggestion that such stories are manifested by farangs is rubbish. The current head of my gf school has two very expensive cars - cant help good luck!!!!

I know of a teacher who had to sign for 40k bht month, but was paid 25k, the rest went to the director..

I believe in the above...

• Like 1

This myth circulates every now and then and is total nonsense, the school doesn't get 50-60-70,000 baht for every foreign teacher, it is just another story foreigners use to bitch about teaching here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree on this one.

Often schools offer English language for 1 hour per week by foreign teachers at a rate between 300 to 600 Baht per student per semester. This to fund the foreign teachers' salary.

Have to agree with you guys on this. To my certain knowledge government schools (in my area at least) do not receive grants for foreign teachers. There may be or have been isolated schemes, but it's not MoE policy.

Think about it - If government schools did receive grants then every school would have an NES teacher, the reality is that a tiny percentage of government schools have foreign teachers. I can already hear the racists on the forum ... "ah that's because the Head Teachers have spent it all on wine, women and song, and nice new shiny cars".

Personal view

While we are there to teach the students remember we are also there so that the school can dote on the fact that they have farang teaching at their school.

Last public school i taught at I taught 50 min a week to 28 classes. The joke of it all was that even though I had to teach and do a test and exam the mark i submitted was only worth 10% of the total english mark.

For this they hired 2 of us through an agency.

Go figure.

He was employed at a government school in Surin near the Cambodian border I won't name the school here though.

Salary 27,000 baht per month, he was happy with that he is a qualified teacher retired with a U.K pension from his teaching years and a state pension too. Lives in Surin and married to a Thai lady for some 25 years retired and bored hence working for pleasure.

Each month he was asked rightly so to sign for his salary which was paid in cash, one day he lifted the sign sheet up after he dropped the clipboard, wonders after wonders he was being paid 27,000 baht a month and the school was claiming 54,000 baht a month from the authorities in the education ministry..

He did not return for the second semester as he was totally disgusted with the affair and the dishonesty saying '' he would not be a party to a fraud or a patsy to a fraud charge.

Hardly working for pleasure when getting paid 27k,and receiving two pensions and still wants more money.Who really is perpertrating the fraud here?

I'm sorry....... How is this person committing fraud ? He has planned well and organized 2 pensions. He also works in Thailand and pays taxes. He is contributing something to Thai society? Tell me......... where is the fraud on his part ?

Hardly working for pleasure when getting paid 27k,and receiving two pensions and still wants more money.Who really is perpertrating the fraud here?
  • Like 2

It was the principle of the matter, not the remuneration as stated by the OP. Principles are something that is sadly lacking in the Thai education system from teachers and students alike.

I'm sorry....... How is this person committing fraud ? He has planned well and organized 2 pensions. He also works in Thailand and pays taxes. He is contributing something to Thai society? Tell me......... where is the fraud on his part ?

Contributing to any society is doing something for free,from the heart,as many of us do,not for money.Already getting 2 pensions and still working and complaining about the amount is a bit greedy,don't you think.This is partially what is wrong with the world today.