Choosy taxi drivers.

Guitar God

I've traveled in well over 50 countries and I don't recall any other city where the taxi drivers need to ruminate over whether they want to take you to your destination. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a trip to the airport or a few km down the road they're on in the direction they're already heading. It happens if there is a lot of traffic or the roads are quiet. What's up with Bangkok taxi drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When i went home earlier this year i got a few looks from London cabbies when I began with a raised quizzical eyebrow and a question tone my voice as i gave my destination. One even said with some perplexion " wherever you want mate!"

Usually if a taxi won't take you somewhere, a motorbike or bus will. It is hardly just this city though I have experienced this in just about every city I have visited around the world certain cabs won't go to certain places if it's not part of their route, not worth their time, heavy traffic, etc.

Pan Tip...hailed a taxi. He stopped....looked the usual blank and refused the fare.

Well my.... my. A cop just up on the left pulled him in....berated him and gave him a ticket!

Needless to say the taxi behind took us and tore off down the road.

Edited by harleyclarkey
  • Like 1

Topic comes up frequently and often, usually by noobs.

Yes, taxis are required to transport you but...

there are any, many, many, many reasons why they might not want to, primarily based on your destination, and the routing options to get there. They may only rent the taxi for 12 hours - most exchange at 04:00/16:00 - so may not be able to get to the exchange point in time, they may not be able to get a fare back, there may be bad traffic, they may be low on xNG and know there is no station on your route....

The protocol is to flag down a moving taxi going in the direction you need to go, open the door, state your destination and any routing, then wait for acknowledgement. It's pretty easy and you'll learn it quickly enough.

• Like 1

wink.png I do know what many taxi drivers have to deal with.

Many of them RENT the taxis they drive from the taxi owners ..... they pay a daily rent for the priveledge of driving that taxi to make some money.

Sometimes they must pay for the petrol to fill their taxis when they arrive to pick it up from the owner.

The taxi they rent is often theirs for only 8 hours ..... 3 different drivers each paying the owner for an 8 hour shift .... and each one paying the owner for the priveledge of having a full tank of gas when they rent the taxi.

Often, no lunch breaks allowed.

And the owner fines the taxi driver if the taxi is not returned in time for the next driver.

It's a crap job.... many drivers barely make enough to feed their families for the day.

One of the drivers I talked to was a clerk in a government office. He drove a taxi on Saturday and Sunday, working weekdays at his government job.

He made between 500 and 1000 Baht on a weekend.

He thought he had a good job.

He had a wife and three kids to support.

He was about to retire from his government job, but his retirement wasn't going to be enough to pay his bills for his family, so he was hoping to get a full time taxi driving (rental) job when he retired.

• Like 2

I can understand if they're ending their shift soon and don't want to drive the opposite direction, or spend time stuck in traffic when they could be making more money driving a customer to a less congested location. It's what Kurnell posted that makes no sense to me, nor money for then.

"See that building 2km straight ahead of you, on the road your're currently driving down? I'd like to go there. ". Ummmmmmmm, no". " I'll give you 100฿. " haha, no". " Enjoy deadheading, have a good day".

Yesterday I solved my problem of getting back home through an area of heavy traffic due to the protests by asking him what it would take to change his mind, it wasn't much for a comfortable 1 hour drive.

I like Muddyleopads approach too.

Lady taxi drivers, maybe that's the solution. 555

It would add to the cost buy at least you'd arrive at your destination without all the frustration.

Good thing the ladies aren't so picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand