Search "House Rules" for a Condo

Hi. We don't have a written "House Rules" document in our Condo. We have the legal documents from the promoter but they are just about basic legal requirements. Basically we are looking for a list of the 15-20 main house rules that every people should respect, a list to be displayed in the lobby for everyone to know about it.

Example of such rules could be:

- No noise (TV, music,...) during the night: 11pm-7am

- Noisy work between 10am-5pm only and Monday-Friday only

- No smocking in corridors, lift, lobby and communal areas

- No dogs or noisy pets in the condo

- No gaz bottle allowed in the condo

etc.

I am interested in any example of "House Rules" from a Condo in Thailand.

I you have, or can point on, or can list any particular rule here. Thanks

PS: I am on Pattaya and can move around to get a copy of your document if you have a paper one.

Edited by Pattaya46

For the gas bottles I think you will find there is a legal ban on these in condo buildings, for obvious reasons. I've certainly never seen a condo unit with gas in. The same applies to smoking which is supposedly banned in all enclosed public areas. I dont think the legal ban applies in the open air such as by an outdoor pool though.

For the other items if your building has no existing regulations about them the committee/management needs to work out a suitable list and then get them voted in by the owners at a general meeting. Then they can put the list up and take action against those who dont comply (assuming that the vote allowed for such action). This could include "no smoking by the pool" rules if this isnt covered by the law.

My building has rules about all the items you mention, and quite a few more (no laundry on balconies, no throwing rubbish from the balcony, no swimware in the elevators).

Thanks KittenKong.

We are exactly in this case. The list will have to be approved, sure, but first we have to write it wink.png

About gaz: yes, more a law than a rule. Put this law as a rule is a way for owners to know about it.

About smoking: yes, I should have add "enclosed". No reason to forbid at the pool or in the cars park

My building has rules about all the items you mention, and quite a few more

These "a few more" are the rules that interest me here wink.png

- no laundry on balconies, (often with "visible from the street", I think)

- no throwing rubbish from the balcony, (strange? but I suppose there must be a reason for that?)

- no swimware in the elevators, (and more general "decent clothing" inside condo)

Please add here rules you may know about (or wish wink.png)

Edited by Pattaya46

If you know of a well-run building you might visit and ask to see their regulations. Might also be a good idea to post a notice to the other owners to contribute proposals for rules to be taken into account.

Rules are necessary but they also make me nervous. I stayed once in a Swiss condo in which the music had to be dialed down so low (at all hours) that we could barely hear it and it was forbidden to flush the toilets after 10pm.

Advise a light hand here. Not all people are morons and boors.

Rules are necessary but they also make me nervous. I stayed once in a Swiss condo in which the music had to be dialed down so low (at all hours) that we could barely hear it and it was forbidden to flush the toilets after 10pm.

That's exactly the sort of place I would like to live in. Add a permanent ban on people under the age of 50 and a good view and I would probably move in tomorrow.

Maybe not all, but most are. Also many are stone deaf and flat-footed, and suffer from that bizarre delusion that makes them believe that if they shout very loudly the nonsense they are talking will in some magical way become sensible.

About gaz: yes, more a law than a rule. Put this law as a rule is a way for owners to know about it.

If it's a law then you dont need a rule. Just put up a poster advising residents that gas is forbidden by law and any violation will be reported to the authorities immediately.

About smoking: yes, I should have add "enclosed". No reason to forbid at the pool ....

- no laundry on balconies, (often with "visible from the street", I think)

Personally I would ban smoking at the pool also. As far as I know the anti-smoking law is due to be extended to smoking anywhere in a condo building, including in your own unit. I'm for it.

I think you can have laundry inside the balcony. It's over the balcony rails they object to.

- no throwing rubbish from the balcony, (strange? but I suppose there must be a reason for that?)

If your head or your car had ever come into contact with an item dropped from a high floor you would not need to ask that question. It also applies to emptying your dustpan over the balcony, from where the dust generally just falls into the balcony below.

Please add here rules you may know about (or wish wink.png)

Dont get me started on ones I would wish for but an obvious one that exists in some buildings is "no doors open into corridors when cooking".

They aren't all that enforceable either.

So I bought a condo in your building. Moved in with my dog and my BF that runs a data center on the night shift and ........? Then you want to make his life difficult and displace our family pet AFTER the sale?

The fewer rules the better. They should only actually cover things that matter. Noise over a certain level. Odors entering public spaces. Changing the exterior of your unit. etc ... Clothing? Not your business. Appearance from the outside of the building? Sure.

So I bought a condo in your building. Moved in with my dog and my BF that runs a data center on the night shift and ........? Then you want to make his life difficult and displace our family pet AFTER the sale?

My building prohibits animals, and businesses operating from the rooms. Security would simply not let your dog past the front door.

The fewer rules the better. They should only actually cover things that matter. Noise over a certain level. Odors entering public spaces. Changing the exterior of your unit. etc ... Clothing? Not your business. Appearance from the outside of the building? Sure.

Sounds exactly like the list of things that was given above, all of which are to do with minimising inconvenience for others (noises, smells, falling objects). The pets ban is to do with smells and noise too.

As for clothing in the elevators ban, this is more for Thai sensibilities than farang ones but I still agree with it. Many of the bodies in my building are extremely ugly and should be covered up 24/7. I certainly dont want to look at them in the elevator.

My building prohibits animals, and businesses operating from the rooms. Security would simply not let your dog past the front door.

Sounds exactly like the list of things that was given above, all of which are to do with minimising inconvenience for others (noises, smells, falling objects). The pets ban is to do with smells and noise too.

As for clothing in the elevators ban, this is more for Thai sensibilities than farang ones but I still agree with it. Many of the bodies in my building are extremely ugly and should be covered up 24/7. I certainly dont want to look at them in the elevator.

KK --- were those rules in place when people bought the units? It makes a HUGE difference both legally and ethically.

It would be a rare situation where animal smells were worse/stronger than food smells emanating from a condo. I have taken my dog (in her case or backpack) into many many places that officially have no dog rules :) She stays in the case or backpack whilst in common areas. One security guard (in 7+ years) has tried to prevent me. I looked at him and explained I was carrying a case in and that if he objected he was welcome to call the management since yet again the dog in the case (as a dog in a condo) infringes upon nobody else's rights.

I would submit that appearance and not falling items has more to do with laundry hung on lines .

As for your personal distaste for other people's bodies that are not exposed illegally? I mean really, who cares? Vote with your feet. Wait for the next elevator. Personal hygiene is far more important to mue than what someone wears. I can look at the door of an elevator and not at the other occupants but my nose has no options not to smell you!

That's exactly the sort of place I would like to live in. Add a permanent ban on people under the age of 50 and a good view and I would probably move in tomorrow.

Maybe not all, but most are. Also many are stone deaf and flat-footed, and suffer from that bizarre delusion that makes them believe that if they shout very loudly the nonsense they are talking will in some magical way become sensible.

And how's that attitude working out for you in Thailand?! With respect, I suggest you might be happier in a house or perhaps in a residential project for the elderly. Signs of life include a certain amount of sound and smell.

Personally I would ban smoking at the pool also. As far as I know the anti-smoking law is due to be extended to smoking anywhere in a condo building, including in your own unit. I'm for it.

Jesus Wept! If smoking was against the law - that is, if it was illegal to even possess tobacco products - you might have a leg to stand on. As things stand, please keep your nose out of my private space and DON"t even get me started on the anti-smoking laws proposed!

KK --- were those rules in place when people bought the units? It makes a HUGE difference both legally and ethically.

Yes, as far as I know. They were either in place or voted in by a quorum anyway. I've never heard of anyone complaining about any of the rules.

It would be a rare situation where animal smells were worse/stronger than food smells emanating from a condo.

For dogs I think it's more the noise than the smell.

I would submit that appearance and not falling items has more to do with laundry hung on lines .

Surely, but there are also safety rules about throwing things off the balcony.

As for your personal distaste for other people's bodies that are not exposed illegally? I mean really, who cares?

Lots of Thais do, as I mentioned. They dont think that swimsuits are suitable attire for an elevator and neither do I. They aren't suitable for wearing in shops or restaurants either, except perhaps right on the beach.

Jesus Wept! If smoking was against the law - that is, if it was illegal to even possess tobacco products - you might have a leg to stand on. As things stand, please keep your nose out of my private space and DON"t even get me started on the anti-smoking laws proposed!

Has it occurred to you that these laws are probably put in place because the majority of people agree with them?

As for me keeping my nose out of your space, it's more a question of smokers keeping their smoke out of my nose. If they did that there would be no need for the laws.

Yes. It's also clear that other elements contribute to the enactment of laws. Like I said, don't get me started!

I will just say that if your nose isn't in my condo it will suffer no impact from my smoking. I question whether cigarette smoke in the open air - which quickly disperses - is really a health issue for anyone.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on the smoking issue. Care to tango?!

Hi. Thanks for those who replied already smile.png

Please do not start here another "smoking war". On this subject, and for my condo, the rule will just remind people what the law say, (in brief: no smocking if a roof over your head), nothing more

I will just say that if your nose isn't in my condo it will suffer no impact from my smoking. I question whether cigarette smoke in the open air - which quickly disperses - is really a health issue for anyone.

The problem has nothing to do with health, at least as far as I'm concerned. I can easily keep far away enough from smokers to stay healthy. No, the problem is the smell. If someone on a nearby balcony is smoking I can usually smell it on my balcony. If someone smokes in their room with a door or window open then that can also be smelled in the corridor or outside. In the same way most non-smokers can tell if a smoker is near them even if he isnt smoking. As a smoker you probably just don't realise quite how pungent the smell can be.

As I said, if people smoke indoors with their doors and windows closed then it should not be a problem for anyone. Trouble is they dont.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on the smoking issue. Care to tango?!

Sorry, the subject doesn't interest me enough.