Just back from my first tourist visa run to Laos

Essentially is this a two month and then pay 1900 Baht at your local Immigration office for the last 30 days?

With the recent changes for G7 countries you can get 30 days by land crossing for free (well 10USD in Ranong on the Myanmar side) How long is the Visa valid until is it three months or six months, if the latter you can stay 9 months. Please let me know I was thinking of doing the same.

A good report RikDao. I quite liked Vientienne when I went there for a Non-O for marriage visa last year, and I too had an easy and uneventful time doing everything myself. I had downloaded and pre-filled a form, but the tuk tuk dropped me at the card table outside the Embassy wall and the man thir insisted I had an old form and filled me out a new form for 100TB and also tried to sell me his expertise for getting my visa, but as i said it was very easy doing it myself. The only hassle was the LONG queue at the border trying to get back in to Thailand.

I also recommend having a bit of a holiday in Laos

• Like 1

He got 2 entry visa valid for 3 months that with 30 day extensions of each 60 day entry can give a total of about180 days without needing a new visa.

This would depend on when the Visa expires as all entries must be used by then.

Did you miss where I wrote the visa was valid for 3 months. He can leave and do the 2nd entry just before the visa expires and still get almost 180 days.
  • Like 1

Essentially is this a two month and then pay 1900 Baht at your local Immigration office for the last 30 days?

With the recent changes for G7 countries you can get 30 days by land crossing for free (well 10USD in Ranong on the Myanmar side) How long is the Visa valid until is it three months or six months, if the latter you can stay 9 months. Please let me know I was thinking of doing the same.

Yo, sorry I didn't make that clear, since this post is really aimed at newbies. Yes, I got a dual-entry tourist visa that is good for 60 days, which I will extend for another 30 days at an immigration office here in Thailand, making it roughly three months in total.

He got 2 entry visa valid for 3 months that with 30 day extensions of each 60 day entry can give a total of about180 days without needing a new visa.

Umm, just to clarify further, I got one 90-day visa, which has the dual-entry aspect, meaning I can enter Thailand twice in 90 days. Not 180 days in my case. In other words, I just came back to Thailand today, using the first entry, will return to the US for a few weeks in January, and then come back to Thailand before the 90 days are up, thereby utilizing my second entry. When these 90 days are up, I'll pop over to Vientiane again for a rerun.

Yo, sorry I didn't make that clear, since this post is really aimed at newbies. Yes, I got a dual-entry tourist visa that is good for 60 days, which I will extend for another 30 days at an immigration office here in Thailand, making it roughly three months in total.

You can get almost 6 months out of your visa.

Extend 1st 60 day entry by 30 days then just before visa expires use the 2nd entry and extend it.

I have used the hustler guy before (one of them anyway), when I was in a couple of difficult situations. In his defense, that guy can get sh*t done.

Also, I was refused at Vientiane once, basically for having a Thai girlfriend (along with too many entries). They said it was obvious that I was not a tourist because my girlfriend was standing right next to me, so I must be staying for her rather than being a tourist. From the way they talked, it seemed like they would have been ok with it if my girlfriend wasn't with me. I guess you can't be a tourist and have a girlfriend at the same time. They just handed me back my passport at the application window, no visa for you.

If you are already married, why not get the non-o visa instead? If you have enough savings or proof of income, that can be extended for one year. Or you can get a multi-entry non-O good for one year of entries from some consulates. I just got that one from Savannakhet. If you plan on staying a long time, the tourist visa will eventually become harder and harder to obtain.

• Like 1

300km in 3 hours on a bus?

Thats an average of over 60mph. Pretty fast for a bus.

The real figure is 10 hours by VIP bus and 11 for the non-VIP......

Was just thinking the same thing ... everything I've read suggests that it's approximately 9 hours by bus from Vientiane to LP.

OUCH! I meant 11 hours, not 3! See, I still haven't fully recovered from that ordeal! Yah, it took 11 hours but it felt like... oh never mind!

(I'm surprised I didn't put "1100 kms in 3 hrs.")

• Like 1

Funny this...

1. Cross into Laos and pay 35 usd (about 1300 baht)

2. Buy a single entry visa for one entry (1000 baht) yes..you can buy 2 entry for 2000 but lets say one.

3. You need a room overnight to pickup the visa in vientiane the next day (700 baht)

4. Transportation to The Consulate twice and from and to the Border (Vientiane side).. (300 baht)

3. Get your extension for 30 days (1900 baht)

Thats 5200 baht for 90 days.

Or just get a 30 day border crossing (visa exempt) for 1300 baht and do it 3 times. Good for me, I drive 45 minutes to the border. Total about 3900 plus some gas.

Interesting. But I would not do back to back border run too often...The fourth time, get a double entry.

Feel free to correct my math. This of course is only if you live fairly close to Nong Khai.

I see that you are a new Global Moderator...

If so...

I think it is quite well deserved...

Ditto...I appreciated his clarification.

Live and Let Live

Edited by Benmart

At the moment I am here on a triple entry tourist visa acquired in Hull.

I am living in Nong khai and go across the bridge on my bicycle pay 35 dollars get my passport stamped and cycle back , so far no problems. When I go again in December it will be my final visa so in February I will have to go to Thai consulate in Vientiane , this could be where my problems begin !

A couple of questions here can I get a triple entry visa again like I did in Hull ? ( this was my second triple entry in 12 months )

Or is it possible to get an o visa ?

I am not married to a Thai and only 48 years old so not sure how or if I can continue living here ?

Any advice welcome

Mark

You can get a 2 entry in Vientiane. Since you probably got your 3 entries in your home country you will not have a problem in Vientiane.

Have you been getting 30 day extensions for your 60 day entries? You can get almost 9 months out of a 3 entry if you do the last entry just before your visa expires.

You can get a 2 entry in Vientiane. Since you probably got your 3 entries in your home country you will not have a problem in Vientiane.

Have you been getting 30 day extensions for your 60 day entries? You can get almost 9 months out of a 3 entry if you do the last entry just before your visa expires.

Hello joe

No I haven't had the 30 day extension because it sounded a bit expensive although I can't remember what the price was and also I think I would have run out of time before activating the 3rd visa.

I know that I can get a free 30 day visa ( but still have to pay the 35 dollars for the Laos visa ) but not sure if I would have problems if I kept going over the bridge every month

Hello joe

No I haven't had the 30 day extension because it sounded a bit expensive although I can't remember what the price was and also I think I would have run out of time before activating the 3rd visa.

I know that I can get a free 30 day visa ( but still have to pay the 35 dollars for the Laos visa ) but not sure if I would have problems if I kept going over the bridge every month

It is 1900 baht for the extension. You might have to do the 3rd entry before the 2nd extension runs out dependent upon on how early you got the visa before arriving here.

I would recommend spending A few days il Laos,or other countries around Thailand.It would be good just to get more educated.

Thanks thrilled but I've already been to more counties than I can remember to mention but now I plan to retire here in Thailand and as I'm still relatively young will need to be a bit more careful with the finances , also there's still a lot of places here I haven't visited so going across the border is only done out of nesessity

There is a lot of post collecting going on????? But I would be really intersted in one thing: Until now I thought you can only get a 14 or 15 days extention on a touriist visa????? Could some sensible people clarify this one!!!!!

A thirty day extension to a tourist visa has always and still is available .

I wonder where you are obtaining information?

There is a lot of post collecting going on????? But I would be really intersted in one thing: Until now I thought you can only get a 14 or 15 days extention on a touriist visa????? Could some sensible people clarify this one!!!!!

Hi wernerkl

Not sure if you mean extension or re entry into Thailand.

If you mean entry into Thailand the rules changed on the first of November and now members of g7 countries get 30 days at land crossings instead of the old 15

Hi wernerkl

Not sure if you mean extension or re entry into Thailand.

If you mean entry into Thailand the rules changed on the first of November and now members of g7 countries get 30 days at land crossings instead of the old 15

He's talking/asking about the extension on a (60d) tourist visa, not a visa-exempt stamp. Ans: 30 days & 1900B at an immigration office.

There's frequent confusion in these threads between tourist VISAs and the visa-exempt stamp, which is NOT a visa, that passport holders from many countries are eligible for. Let's try not to confuse the two. When mentioning the new 30d stamp G7 passport holders can now get at land border crossings, we're talking about VISA EXEMPT entry, NOT Tourist VISAs! Wernerkl was asking about Tourist Visa & their extensions.

Edited by hawker9000

I really don't know why anybody would pay the 100 baht to have 5 minutes of paperwork filled out.

I remember years ago when I went. I paid the 100baht for them to fill it out because I knew they would do it correctly. I didn't want to make a mistake doing it myself and have a prob the next day and have to stay longer etc.

That's why I paid. Every time after that I did it myself because I realised how easy it was.

Was just thinking the same thing ... everything I've read suggests that it's approximately 9 hours by bus from Vientiane to LP.

Most people would stop over for a day or two in Vang Vien which is about halfway to LP.....nice breakpoint for the trip and some fantastic scenery in VV.